Restoring a squadron 12 >

Restoring a squadron 12

Notices

Restoring a squadron 12

Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I am big on the resto-mod idea of the older boats. Modern drive lines and electronics, understated interiors, and a timeless paint scheme. White Deck and hull bottom and solid color sides with an accent stripe is the way I would do mine.
Look at the Playboy Cigs and Donzi Classics. No matter what colors are "in" they never look outdated.
Also, def. put the Squadron XII logos back on and don't re-label it as a Cigarette.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to see that Squadron hull..... if that's what it truly is...and I'm not saying it's not. So what is it's story?? Someone said "lots of people know about it" ? Well I'd love to know. I'm a big fan. How about a story? I love stories..........

But here's my lowly .02 based on what I've seen/heard, and NOT having the full story because "it's a long story"?. So, NO story leaves me with the following conclusions:

#1 Sure, it may not matter whether or not it has a VIN, but if it is a 30 year old uncut hull, why wouldn't it have a VIN?? They don't add them after they come out of the mold. So where is it? It would be one thing if the boat had been repainted because the gelcoat was dried out, damgaed, well used, needed paint etc, or maybe the owner or painter didn't care, so they sanded it down or covered it up, or maybe the transom had rotted and needed to be redone - but in this case there was never any reason to do any of that - was there?? This one has never even been rigged. Can't imagine why anyone would remove the only clue to what that boat was for no reason? Yes anything is possible.

#2 The hatch looks to be off of hull #18. Too coincidental with paint condition and exact same stripes. #18 just happened to have its deck cut off it's hull, and then sold with no hatch recently. Hmmmm. Only reason I can think off to cut a deck off a hull, (when they are glassed together extremely well) would be to spash it - to make a mold for making more boats. So here is a boat with no VIN, and it just happens to have the hatch off a boat that was more than likely cut up to make a mold. See where I'm going here? Sure one was a 27 and the other is a 24, but they are still connected by the hatch - makes it look like they have both been in the hands of somebody making molds.

#3 I've seen the 24' hull #001 here in MD, and never heard/seen of another 24'er - Squadron even used a picture of the 27'er in thier only brochure for the 24'er.

#4 It's a fact that another company had the mold for the 27'er, and built some boats in the mid 80's with VIN's for that company - IMP I believe - so if this hull wasn't done recently, who says it's not from that company? Why does that matter?? Well, frankly because the small Don Aronow Squadrons seem to be built like a brick ****house. Much better than the old 20' cigs and possibly 28's (ie: I looked at one of those in nice shape, but it had lots of bulkhead and crossbrace seperations/cracks. One that looks exactly like it, but not using Don's race layup, as the 27's and 24's were, just wouldn't be the same boat - but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a great boat....depends on how it was built.

By all means, I hope somebody can prove my conspiracy theory wrong

Pics:
#18 with it's hatch before it was cut up:

24'er brochure - sorry, looks like I lost the pic of the back of the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails Restoring a squadron 12-24%2520squadron%2520front.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-canada3.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

more paint ideas:
Attached Thumbnails Restoring a squadron 12-03.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-12a1491ga3k03o03l38c81e786252b61b1879.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-oc-barry.jpg  

Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-squadron-xii-ad-original.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-squadron-w-don.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered

I really like the FLY squadron 12 brochure colors. Brians 24 that hasnt been rigged would look awsome those colors.

Looks like its the same boat from the brochure in post 42
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

more....
Attached Thumbnails Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-squad-red.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-squadron-pics.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-27-dealer-int-narrowed-screen-final.jpg  

Restoring a squadron 12-south-river-sidestripe-name.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-cig-24-firefox-rwb-3.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

last ones
Attached Thumbnails Restoring a squadron 12-nice-squad-2.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-nice-squad.jpg   Restoring a squadron 12-nice-squad-4.jpg  

Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddy, After a nice conversation with Brian last night it looks like the hatch in question is coming home to its rightful boat. (it didn't fit the 24 correctly anyway).

Thanks Brian! I look forward to helping you with your project! Anything you need just give me a shout. I am sure Eddy will be more than helpful as well, I learned a lot from him about the 27s!

Lets see some pics of the 24 in detail please..
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

-----There was a husband and wife scam-artist team involved in this saga a ways back. They had control of both boats and didnt do either one any favors. Probably where the hatch problems arose from. Neither one of them even remotely knew the meaning of the word "truth". I have been told that the husband is dead and the wife went the gray-bar hotel direction. Since they nicked me too, I sincerly hope that both are suffering........Bill S
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

If anyone has a 24 or 27 for sale--please send me a PM. I am interested in buying one. I do not want a restored one. But I am like Sean, it must have the correct VIN attached for registering purposes. Thanks,
Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by olredalert
-----There was a husband and wife scam-artist team involved in this saga a ways back. They had control of both boats and didnt do either one any favors. Probably where the hatch problems arose from. Neither one of them even remotely knew the meaning of the word "truth". I have been told that the husband is dead and the wife went the gray-bar hotel direction. Since they nicked me too, I sincerly hope that both are suffering........Bill S
sorry to hear that Bill....your troubles that is....the others sound like they got thiers.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.