Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
24' Sonic twin o/b resto >

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Notices

24' Sonic twin o/b resto

Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I love these old twin OB Sonics. There was one at the marina where we kept our boat when I was a kid. I have been following your progress here and on S&F - great job!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Yeah that boat is looking really nice. If you havent had a OB boat before your really gonna love the extra cockpit space it give you.
you spend most of your time inthe cockpit so to me thats where you want plenty of room to move around especially when rafted up.

The signiture is kick ass too. Anything you build yourself is a winner if it even comes close to competing with professionally built stuff. If it beats it, well then you can really hold your head high.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Nice!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My arms hurt after looking at all that labor
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now imagine your 24 as a center console. I did 3 of these my self. First 24 CC went to Claude Tubianna.. had a single 200 black max.. boat was eventually sold to Eric Froberg.

Second was a 24 with a single 330 TRS.. called Das Boot.. I delivered personally to the buyer in Long Island.. Great running boat but when Jay and I tested her the back of your pants got wet from the back splash as you slowed down... the aft seat was right there over the engine comp..

Third was rigged with gil brackets and 200 mariners... I delivered the boat to the port of Jax and from there she went to Bermuda.. Still there as far as I know. we did a small cuddy in the fwd bow with a one off bulkhead.

The 24 is a great stable platform for a cc. I always wished Sonic would do a 31 CC with that extended hull..
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Hah, funny ;)

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
My arms hurt after looking at all that labor
The final three days were hell. Two extra strength Tylenol twice a day (still sore) The 4th day I drank the 1st half and slept the second!
Between fighting the cold mornings (deck covered in dew), waiting for it to warm up, watching the trees start to move (while block sanding w/a file board) as the wind picks up at the exact same time as the temp. warms, to my air line blowing a hole in itself blowing leaves all over fresh paint, me using one arm to hold on to the frame for the shelter/roof so I could hang over the deck far enough (while standing tippy toe on one foot on scafolding) w/the other arm to be able to reach the middle of the deck w/the spray gun etc, etc.
Funniest part was deciding I could spray the middle area of the front deck from the bow hatch cut outs while standing bellow until I masked the holes off (not thinking) and then realizing what I'd done and was no way it'd work anyhow
The good is I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel and just came back from the Miami Show and like this boat better than anything there.
If I could find investors I'd love to splash this boat and build them right. Talking with boat building friends that went to the show with me we think using current building technology we could cut 1000 - 1500lbs off the hull weight. I think done right you'd probably have a 60+ MPH rig w/a single D.I. 2 stroke O/B or a mid 90's rocket ship w/twins.
Painted the windshield today and will mount it tomorrow. I think the black windshield and rub rail will really make the white pop.
I may float it for pictures after that. Would make a great screen saver/motivator.
Thanks for the compliments guys. Definitely helps.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Default Would be...

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Now imagine your 24 as a center console...
killer! I've thought of it before. As well as the old boat ran as much fun as it was to drive fast..........., a CC would be an absolute blast.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Stumbled across this picture tonight. Pretty good before Vs after contrast.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TS, How much can you take out before the ride will suffers ? "HIGH LIFE"
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
killer! I've thought of it before. As well as the old boat ran as much fun as it was to drive fast..........., a CC would be an absolute blast.
Your Deck cap is in two pieces. Look at the bow and you will see where they join about 12" in. The CC is the same cap without the insert that makes up your foredeck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.