Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
The lost of Willie Meyers >

The lost of Willie Meyers

Notices

The lost of Willie Meyers

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I believe Mr. Myers did some stunt scuba diving in the James Bond movie "Thunderball". The way I understand it, he was the underwater "stand-in" for "Emilio Largo", the villain that Bond was fighting underwater. Watch the movie closely and you never see the actors face while he's fighting with Connery, they always cut to a still shot of his face because he couldn't handle the job like Willie could. Much of the underwater stuff was filmed in the Bahamas and Miami.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, in the cast of Thunderball is not no Myers or Meyers (because then the difference in the name?) Even among the list of stunts.
Actually I have not found anything even in all the other films in the Bond saga...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Willie was killed 12 times in Thunderball. He, Rico Browning, and Courtney Brown did all the diving for Creature from the black lagoon, Thunderball, Day of the Dolphin, etc. Funny story about Willie. He came to the Keys to go diving with his daughter, Amanda. They went to the dive shop to get air, and the clerk said "No PADI card, no air". Willie took a book off the shelf and said "See the chapter on safety"? Who wrote it"? "Willie Meyers". Clerk, "I don't care, no card, no air"! Willie says "Wait a minute". He took off his Rolex Submariner and said "See this thing on the back? It is a nitrogen purge valve. This is the only watch in workd with one. They made it specially for me". Clerk. "I don't give a ****'. No PADI, no air". He never got any.
Willie was the quietest hero I ever knew. Some of his feats are legendary, but he was a "spook" with no name. If they made a movie about his life, John Wayne would have to play the part.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Thanks Brownie for the stories and the confirm of the presence of Meyers in the Thunderball.
Now I watch the film with a different feeling.
I'm downloading The Day of Dolphin and I look forward to seeing Willie in action in the film in the character of Stone.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Ricou Browning may still live in Davie..He was a customer at the animal hospital my wife worked at..She recognized his name right away when he first came in about 20 years ago..He was blown away someone remembered his faceless name..She says he is a very nice man..
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I think Willie was killed 12 times in Thunderball. He, Rico Browning, and Courtney Brown did all the diving for Creature from the black lagoon, Thunderball, Day of the Dolphin, etc. Funny story about Willie. He came to the Keys to go diving with his daughter, Amanda. They went to the dive shop to get air, and the clerk said "No PADI card, no air". Willie took a book off the shelf and said "See the chapter on safety"? Who wrote it"? "Willie Meyers". Clerk, "I don't care, no card, no air"! Willie says "Wait a minute". He took off his Rolex Submariner and said "See this thing on the back? It is a nitrogen purge valve. This is the only watch in workd with one. They made it specially for me". Clerk. "I don't give a ****'. No PADI, no air". He never got any.
Willie was the quietest hero I ever knew. Some of his feats are legendary, but he was a "spook" with no name. If they made a movie about his life, John Wayne would have to play the part.
Thanks for confirming my information Brownie, at least now I know I haven't completely lost my mind.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Another movie, perhaps last, also seems to be the most important for Willie Meyers.
"Hurricane" of 1979. Here is Willie in the main cast in the role of Cpl. Morrah.