Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Looking for History of Magnum "Power Hungry" race boat. >

Looking for History of Magnum "Power Hungry" race boat.

Notices

Looking for History of Magnum "Power Hungry" race boat.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for History of Magnum "Power Hungry" race boat.

Found this boat in Florida which may get junked soon. It's a Magnum race boat. Name on it is "Power Hungry" & # on it is B-91. Has a few race stickers, one from New Jersey, so I know it raced there. Has an Atlantic Offshore Performance Racing Team sticker, and others. May have also raced in Great Lakes? Motors are gone, but hull looks good, all gauges there, seats, cables. I'm not a race boat expert, but looks 70's era.
If it's got history, we may save it.

Last edited by amxess; 02-09-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by amxess
Found this boat in Florida which may get junked soon. It's a Magnum race boat. Name on it is "Power Hungry" & # on it is P-91. Has a few race stickers, one from New Jersey, so I know it raced there. Has an Atlantic Offshore Performance Racing Team sticker, and others. May have also raced in Great Lakes? Motors are gone, but hull looks good, all gauges there, seats, cables. I'm not a race boat expert, but looks 70's era.
If it's got history, we may save it.
Dont recall that name on a Mag here in the Great Lakes. A pic would help.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Power Hungry (from NJ) use to be Shockwave (from NJ)which use to be Seminole Spirit (from Mich??)which use to be American Spirit (from Mich??) I don't remember Power Hungry ever racing, but Shockwave was successful. This boat is/was one of the most successful raceboats in Magnum history! Yes it is mid 70's.
The last I heard of this boat, the hull was sitting behind an auto shop off Rt. 33 near Manalapan NJ in rough condition. Wish I knew more. Where is the boat now? Love to see pics!! Is it for sale?? How much???

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 02-09-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Amx-go to the General dicussion forum, see the thread American Spirit for some great pics! I brought his thread to the top.
This boat may have also been "Lil' Smigden"-I'm sure H2oboater will know?

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 02-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Checked the American Spirit thread, and that hull does look the same. I'll get some photos today if I can and figure out how to post them here. Also will try and get hull ID# .
Will be for sale if we grab it (make an offer) as I just hate to see something with racing history lost. Is stored on a property in Ft. Lauderdale and lessee went backrupt so property owner wants it gone now. Boat is on a steel trailer which looks in decent shape, so should be easy to move.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Do yourself and everyone that loves these old race boats a favor and go get it. Also if it's going to be trashed it should go for nothing.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by amxess
Checked the American Spirit thread, and that hull does look the same. I'll get some photos today if I can and figure out how to post them here. Also will try and get hull ID# .
Will be for sale if we grab it (make an offer) as I just hate to see something with racing history lost. Is stored on a property in Ft. Lauderdale and lessee went backrupt so property owner wants it gone now. Boat is on a steel trailer which looks in decent shape, so should be easy to move.
My Mag was it's sister boat, it could be it ?????????
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Amx-go to the General dicussion forum, see the thread American Spirit for some great pics! I brought his thread to the top.
This boat may have also been "Lil' Smigden"-I'm sure H2oboater will know?
Yes it was the Smidgen first.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Default Photos

I took some photos today so click on the attached link to see them. One photo has the hull ID# which is MAG27326.

It's rough to say the least, but hull did seem sound. There was some rain-water inside hull along with some green moss and such so can't tell if there wasn't any rot below that, but hull looked good from what I could see. They definitely made these quite strong from all the reinforcing in that hull. One photo of the engine cover out of the boat (other is inside) says Atlantic Offshore Performance Engines, Brick, N.J.

Working with property owner so it's safe for at least a couple of weeks. Here's the link for the photos:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579742461JhnFXg

Last edited by amxess; 02-09-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

pm sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.