Notices

Maverick

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
I remember this. Didn't it have a small tree growing in it? A TRS gimbal broke and she sank?

I will add that the 32' Miami Scorpion molds came from a company in NJ called Viper.. I always thought that they originated from Maverick but could never et a clear answer...
As I remember once hearing from Felix Mummalo, who was a principal in the Viper Company the bottom had Sutphen designs or attributes - the top deck was his orriginal design - He was assembling them on Bridge Ave, in Point Pleasant NJ - he lived near by !

Phil
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil- you are correct,I could not put my finger on it right away. Mavericks, I think were heavy and possibly 8'2" wide?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by senzaspectre
"Gallo Wine became The Hustler, than Break Out. The Break Out is now at Emerald City Harbor waiting for it's restoration by the Mathes family... "

Under what name will she be restoring as?

Has the boat been racing ever since or was she laid up for some time?
As of now she still has the Break Out name on her, & still looks very good. The boat needs all the rigging and powertrain replaced as it has been removed. Break Out has been sitting since it's last raced in the 90's.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Zeller one
Thanks for feedback and pics,any ideas on hull design? Not many start from scratch !!!!!!!!:
Steve Baum raced a 8 Metre Christ Craft back in 1974 called the Maverick. At the September 21 1974 Blue Lagoon race Baum's Maverick flipped killing Baum's crewman Walt Burns, that was the first U,S death in offshore racing. The 8 Metre hull was damaged, and from that hull Baum made the 32' Maverick hulls.
Attached Thumbnails Maverick-cc-8-m-h2o.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks h2oboater-good info!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ironhead
WOWH no its time for (mark) h2o to go on a steve baum show and tell im thinking there were only 2 of these ,maveric and gallow wine there were later units pulled in fla and up north but they were done with wood grain decks and sides like old speed boats but now i difer to h2o to tell the "tell"
True Ironhead, Only two were made as race boats. Steve Baum being the privet person who knows how many old school speed boats were made.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GO MAG GO tell us more -- please someone invent another old school question, we all must do our part in keeping h2o going i lived down the street from the offshore data base for 10 years and inturned on the many teams for another 14 years under his direct supervision theres more that master yoda knows just pose the questions and let the great carnack un load
Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ye master of old school offshore and ambassador to the Magnum lifestyle,
Tell us of the lore and legend that is Red Crane............

Your student,

Jeff
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Oh ye master of old school offshore and ambassador to the Magnum lifestyle,
Tell us of the lore and legend that is Red Crane............

Your student,

Jeff
Jeff, Red is better known as "The Apostle of Speed"
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oh great "master" i also stand at the door of the dojo with my yellow belt and gee, we await your tripple black belt of offshore knoledge to tell us more. we stand on the cutting edge waiting for you to show us how to use the buter knife. now turn off oprah and start the "tell"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.