Notices

84 Formula 402

Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
"Several years ago, I asked Formula about the possibility of making some new boats from the old molds. They informed me that the molds and tooling for all SR-1s were destroyed, and weren't too keen on any further discussion of the subject. I found them more than willing to discuss the new FAS3tech hull design and how superior it is, etc"

I..like you am a fan of the classic Formula/Cigarette/Donzi/Magnum design. I think the Porters would do very well to create a "Heritage" line of Formulas to capture the "old school" market.

Any time I have my 255 out I always have 2 or more guys walk up to me wanting to know all about it. I here many times guys say that if they find the right one that they would "do" a late 70's ~ early '80's Formula...anything with an angled windshield...pre-87.

I look at that 402 and get goose bumps....reminds me of trolling for whores at Shooters in 'Lauderdale back in the'80s.

Don't get me wrong...much of the new stuff is great...I just think what we are getting now is a continued "pussification" of the classic offshore powerboat.

If Formula were ever to release a heritage line, complete with original graphics, I wouldn't be able to write the check fast enough.

The 255 Liberator is another shining example of the superior design characteristics from late the 70's. It is an ageless look. The 233 is another great looking, practical boat.

I experienced the same thing with my 311. People just couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't made in 2003.

That 402 is worth every penny of the asking price.

A vintage boat really stands out these days among the rather mediocre selection commonly seen today. Seems everyone is trying to see who can paint the loudest graphics.

The new technology is great. I can only imagine how well it would blend with an old hull design.

Almost makes me want to start my own factory and show 'em how it's done.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Registered

"Almost makes me want to start my own factory and show 'em how it's done."

That's how great ideas are conceived...let's see...

Heritage Offshore...Capturing the spirit of the Classic '70's~'80's Deep V American Offshore Power Boat....

...Reggie Fountain

I like it!!

Last edited by sprink58; 05-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Default They got it right with this one...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great boat, looks like my sons that he got from me!!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

"Almost makes me want to start my own factory and show 'em how it's done."

That's how great ideas are conceived...let's see...

Heritage Offshore...Capturing the spirit of the Classic '70's~'80's Deep V American Offshore Power Boat....

...Reggie Fountain

I like it!!
Were the economy not in such ruins, I really would give serious consideration to starting up a small factory. I wouldn't want to saturate the market like Fountain has, but I think I could make a successful venture of it. I have even sketched some of my own designs just for the heck of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

They most certainly did get it right. Spot on, in fact.

There's just no good reason not to make more boats like the 255. It looks so striking in yellow. The black stripes accent the lines of the hull and deck perfectly. Love the wood steering wheels in those 70's boats. That's something I'd bring back. Teak just belongs on a boat.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

I really do think T-Bird Formula hit out of the park for about ten years '76~'86...as well as Cigarette with the Mistress and Cafe Racer. I can spot the profile of these or clones from a mile away....along with the Scarabs and of course Apaches.

I think Donzi did a heritage edition of the 18 foot and was a big hit.

Banana Boat is on the right track and just needs a recognition kick in the pants to be a big winner I think.

JP...stay on top of this because with the interest this could generate...you might hit the market during a paradigm shift that could prove to be very lucrative. I think the demand is there...marketing and pricing has to be on target. There are plenty of us boomers out here that know what we like and know how to go get it.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Registered

I really do think T-Bird Formula hit out of the park for about ten years '76~'86...as well as Cigarette with the Mistress and Cafe Racer. I can spot the profile of these or clones from a mile away....along with the Scarabs and of course Apaches.

I think Donzi did a heritage edition of the 18 foot and was a big hit.

Banana Boat is on the right track and just needs a recognition kick in the pants to be a big winner I think.

JP...stay on top of this because with the interest this could generate...you might hit the market during a paradigm shift that could prove to be very lucrative. I think the demand is there...marketing and pricing has to be on target. There are plenty of us boomers out here that know what we like and know how to go get it.
Formula really had a great thing going. The model selection was diverse, and there was pretty much a boat to fit every budget. I imagine that it was a handful to manage, but they kept it going right up until the end of the 80's.

Donzi is doing the right thing in keeping their Classic line in production. These are, after all, the original bread and butter of the brand. They still run just as good today as they did in the 60's. Better even with the newer drive technology. Don't care much for the ZR line, though.

Always thought that if the Donzi 22 Classic were stretched out to say... 40 feet, and widened a bit, the result would be one remarkable boat.

Banana Boat stayed true to the Aronow ideal of boat building. If I were to start up a boat factory, I'd try to do the same.

I certainly will stay on top of the idea. I agree that there exists a distinct (and lucrative) possibility for the market to shift in the appropriate direction to facilitate these aspirations. If by some miracle, those conditions do arise, I'll be well-postured to take advantage of them. I've done a great deal of the homework as a sort of hobby, and have more than a few improvements in everything from hull design to drive innovations that are quite patent-worthy.

Naturally, I'd want to be involved with racing. It is by far the ultimate proving ground, and can be written off as R&D.

Don Aronow was successful at boat building because he knew how to assemble the right group of individuals to attend to every aspect of the boat building process. I'd do the same.

Whether it ever happens or not, I still plan to build some scale models of my designs and rig them for remote control, just to see how well they would work.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JP-8
Didn't know the Hawk was a 22 degree hull. It would be interesting to find out what ever became of the molds.

It's unfortunate that Formula never did glass the deck to the hull on any of their boats.

I would imagine that your 38 Fever is the fastest boat of the bunch.

How do you like it compared to the 402 and Hawk?

Those Speedmaster drives must be a welcome change from the TRS.
The Excalibur Hawk 40 was the same mold as the 39 Chris Craft Stinger.

As for my Fountain compared to them, obviously its a much faster boat. With the same engines that were in the 402, mounted in the 38 Fever, the fountain is 10-12MPH faster. The gap would be larger I think as the horsepower increases. Believe it or not, the Fountain is a more solid feeling boat. The Fountain obviously will air out more in rough water, but the boat is a blast to drive. Which I like. I guess it can be like comparing a 60's chevy biscayne with a big block, vs. driving a corvette with the same big block. While the biscayne would make a comfortable cruiser with some nice power under your foot, the corvette is faster, handles better, and more fun to drive hard. The ssm drives really make the fountain special. If it was a TRS or a Bravo boat, I wouldnt be as happy as i am. Nothing like swinging big 18" cleaver props, and a drive actually built to handle some power. There are alot of Fountain haters out there, which I never really understood. There are alot of older Reggie boats by me on lake michigan. Most have been run hard thru the years. Never heard of any of them cracking, delaminating, almost sinking, etc. Which is more than i can say about some of the other brands. Probably a reason that most people that own a Fountain, sell theirs to get into another Fountain. I would be one of them. In a few years, I wouldnt mind getting into a straight bottom 42.

I do kind of miss my excalibur Hawk. It was a nice older boat, but in need of a restoration. It would have been a cool boat to restore. It had Teak cockpit flooring, and a classic design. I believe a total makeover and converting it to a SSM setup would have made for a nice big water boat. I think with some 750HP mills, low 80's speed wise would have been attainable. Probably a slightly faster hull than a 38 Flatdeck Cigarette from that era. Keep in mind, Excaliburs were the hulls that Fountain got their start from. I believe Reggie to have been close to Bill Farmer, and I am sure he used some of the building techniques from Bill.

I sold my 402 without motors last year. It was completely rigged, just no engines, trannys, or headers. Sat on a triple axle steel trailer. Boat was clean. Best I could get for it was 13,500. Had it listed everywhere. Finally it sold on ebay. I actually saw it on ebay a few months back. The guy put some carb 502's in it, and was trying to get upper 20's for it. It was up for sale quite a bit. The boat had a/c, generator, hyd steering, tubular swim platform, autometer gauges, etc.

Personally if I were in the market to spend 50k, I would go for a older Top Gun, 40-42 Fountain. Either of those are awesome machines, and make a excellent Foundation for a killer offshore boat.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The Excalibur Hawk 40 was the same mold as the 39 Chris Craft Stinger.

As for my Fountain compared to them, obviously its a much faster boat. With the same engines that were in the 402, mounted in the 38 Fever, the fountain is 10-12MPH faster. The gap would be larger I think as the horsepower increases. Believe it or not, the Fountain is a more solid feeling boat. The Fountain obviously will air out more in rough water, but the boat is a blast to drive. Which I like. I guess it can be like comparing a 60's chevy biscayne with a big block, vs. driving a corvette with the same big block. While the biscayne would make a comfortable cruiser with some nice power under your foot, the corvette is faster, handles better, and more fun to drive hard. The ssm drives really make the fountain special. If it was a TRS or a Bravo boat, I wouldnt be as happy as i am. Nothing like swinging big 18" cleaver props, and a drive actually built to handle some power. There are alot of Fountain haters out there, which I never really understood. There are alot of older Reggie boats by me on lake michigan. Most have been run hard thru the years. Never heard of any of them cracking, delaminating, almost sinking, etc. Which is more than i can say about some of the other brands. Probably a reason that most people that own a Fountain, sell theirs to get into another Fountain. I would be one of them. In a few years, I wouldnt mind getting into a straight bottom 42.

I do kind of miss my excalibur Hawk. It was a nice older boat, but in need of a restoration. It would have been a cool boat to restore. It had Teak cockpit flooring, and a classic design. I believe a total makeover and converting it to a SSM setup would have made for a nice big water boat. I think with some 750HP mills, low 80's speed wise would have been attainable. Probably a slightly faster hull than a 38 Flatdeck Cigarette from that era. Keep in mind, Excaliburs were the hulls that Fountain got their start from. I believe Reggie to have been close to Bill Farmer, and I am sure he used some of the building techniques from Bill.

I sold my 402 without motors last year. It was completely rigged, just no engines, trannys, or headers. Sat on a triple axle steel trailer. Boat was clean. Best I could get for it was 13,500. Had it listed everywhere. Finally it sold on ebay. I actually saw it on ebay a few months back. The guy put some carb 502's in it, and was trying to get upper 20's for it. It was up for sale quite a bit. The boat had a/c, generator, hyd steering, tubular swim platform, autometer gauges, etc.

Personally if I were in the market to spend 50k, I would go for a older Top Gun, 40-42 Fountain. Either of those are awesome machines, and make a excellent Foundation for a killer offshore boat.
Good Post, and your right on, I had the excalibur hawk, and have a bit of time in a 38 fountain. I have been a passenger in a triple 42 for years, The 42 with trips is the closest thing I have experienced to feel of the big excalibur in the rough stuff, except that 42 fountain still handles and feels like the vette. Im confident that older 42 could handle some serious water. I ran to the bahamas in a 38 fountain in some moderately heavy water, and I must say I was completely impressed, it felt solid and flew straight. I know its the boat people love to hate, but I think alot of it is because they do so well against much more expensive boats.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

"Personally if I were in the market to spend 50k, I would go for a older Top Gun, 40-42 Fountain. Either of those are awesome machines, and make a excellent Foundation for a killer offshore boat."

I agree...but then I start thinking....$30K more and maybe I can get into this...

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=6282

...very serious offshore player.

I am doing some contracting work there and I wonder if I offered $50K if they would take it ?....you never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.