Notices

Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat

Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink "Lake Boat"?

Originally Posted by REDS32
Velocity 22-26-28 you can find one for a great price and are real fast with stock power . Formula is great but heavy it will burn more fuel and won't be as fast . You don't need all that weight in a lake boat . I've seen some pretty rough lakes but nothing like I've seen offshore .
I've fished in the Pacific with 8 footers and Prayed to God for my life in 6 footers in lake Michigan! It's a whole different ballgame...trust me! Ask any old racer how they liked the Great Lakes when they kick up! ;o) I think Ritchie Powers and Betty Cook would agree. They both made comments on Lake Michigan back in the days of the old Coral Gables races out of Saugatuck.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

8 footers that's a kiddy pool . Go run in new jersey or even Florida where I am now . Like I said a lake can get rough but boating on a lake is usually a lot easier than offshore . I'm not talking about fishing
I'm talking about trying to race .
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 footers that's a kiddy pool . Go run in new jersey or even Florida where I am now . Like I said a lake can get rough but boating on a lake is usually a lot easier than offshore . I'm not talking about fishing
Ive been boating and fishing off both coasts and the Great Lakes.

Id rather be in big water in either ocean than on the Great Lakes.

The ocean generally has a predictable directionality to the wave sequences whereas the "lakes" are completely random - huge bowls just open up out of nowhere on Michigan on bad days.

Id say the poster needs a true 24degree V with as much freeboard and length as he can possibly afford.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess the old school racers didn't know what they were talking about then........
Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHAWNA
I guess the old school racers didn't know what they were talking about then........
I only know of three factory 28's that have a winning track record of documented racing in 8's.

Pantera, Laveycraft, and Joker. Im sure there are more, but im talking third party confirmation of waves.

Heres picts of the Lavey in Puerto Rico in 8-10's

You can get the same bottom with a normal cockpit.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat-untitled.jpeg   Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat-qu0c5708.jpeg   Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat-race2.jpeg  

Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

I guess lakes are rougher than the ocean. I've just learned something new.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The great lakes can get surprisingly nasty. Just check for the annual stories of very experienced fisherman that die every single year on them. But to keep the thread on track, if there is a small boat that can handle them, that F3 has go to be near the top. Congrats on the choice and get some pics up for crying out loud!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

I think inland sea is a better description than a "lake", but call it what you like. These "lakes" were wicked enough to sink the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Uncle Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wink

Why ya gotta be like that? Nobody said "lakes" are rougher than oceans. Just that The Great Lakes can be really bad news. Some people will never believe that. Be cool
Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

you have no idea what you are talking about. Bring your boat up to our little lake and see for yourself what its all about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.