Wave handling: Formula 233 vs F3LS >

Wave handling: Formula 233 vs F3LS

Notices

Wave handling: Formula 233 vs F3LS

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pantera24
I have ALWAYS wanted to do a 233 like the "Cigarette"....damn beautiful!
Bring a trailer and $1000 and you can get started on your own "#16" with a virgin never rigged hull/deck.... :-)
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Funny, when I first saw it online I thought it was the ugliest CIG boat ever......when I saw it in person I thought it was still ugly, in a knarly kind of way...., sort of old school "funky"!

BUT, once you see and feel it it in the water...it's hard not to like!

BTW, it is sitting within a few feet of that virgin 233 hull.....hint, hint :-)

With just a little work that 233 hull could look like this...

We all owe a lot to that one guys...that was THE first one of what we all have come to love.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Indeed. Each time I look at mine, I'm reminded of its rich heritage, and varied past. It really is a remarkable achievement in marine design, even today. I wonder if Don, Jim, and Walt had any inkling of how they were about to change the world of boating forever with this humble attempt.

Sired by ocean racers, revered by countless boaters the world over; few boats can lay claim to such accolades. I feel mighty privileged to be in the stewardship of so distinguished a craft.

Next year marks the 50th since its inception.

How fitting it would be if Thunderbird Products offered a commemorative edition 233 Interceptor.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
We all owe a lot to that one guys...that was THE first one of what we all have come to love.
A little fun trivia about that boat..there were no seats in it, it was all "stand up and hang on"..

I talked with guy that restored it, he wanted to put some sort of seats in it during the restoration. The owners were stubborn and said NO SEATS. I was told they use fold up camping type chairs on those times when they want/need seats for others.

For those that haven't seen it, there is a nice PDF article about the restoration of "#16" on HOBRA's site..first article/link on this page.
http://www.historicraceboats.com/membersboats.htm
Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Registered

How fitting it would be if Thunderbird Products offered a commemorative edition 233 Interceptor.

I think this is a timely and profound suggestion.

I now wonder what would be the best way for all of the Formula Loyalist to approach the Gods at the Hallowed Halls of Thunderbird Formula with such a suggestion?

I think it would be such a hit that they would be flooded with orders before they built the first one.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

I think this is a timely and profound suggestion.

I now wonder what would be the best way for all of the Formula Loyalist to approach the Gods at the Hallowed Halls of Thunderbird Formula with such a suggestion?

I think it would be such a hit that they would be flooded with orders before they built the first one.
Call Scott and ask him. If was my understanding when I talked with him a couple months ago that they still had the 233 molds.

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Call Scott and ask him. If was my understanding when I talked with him a couple months ago that they still had the 233 molds.

Dave
I just got off the phone with Scott. Grant Porter is the guy to send letters to....he is head of product development.

If enough of us out here in the "world" make the suggestion and commit to buy it...they might do it. They are having a hell of a time financially and need to sell some boats. You never know...there might be enough interest.....but Formula isn't going to spend any R & D money on something that also might sell...they would have to have hard orders to do it.

I think we all understand the current economic climate.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

I just got off the phone with Scott. Grant Porter is the guy to send letters to....he is head of product development.

If enough of us out here in the "world" make the suggestion and commit to buy it...they might do it. They are having a hell of a time financially and need to sell some boats. You never know...there might be enough interest.....but Formula isn't going to spend any R & D money on something that also might sell...they would have to have hard orders to do it.

I think we all understand the current economic climate.

Some interesting developments here.

I have long pondered all sorts of "what if's" pertaining to manufacturers dusting off the molds of past offerings and resuming production with some subtle improvement to the design that wouldn't interfere with the qualities which made it great.

In 2006, I pitched this very idea to Thunderbird. At that time, sales of their current models were rather brisk so there wasn't much interest in "repeating the past". In fact, I was told that all the associated tooling for many of the older models had been destroyed long ago. Apparently, the 233 molds were spared.

If they did decide to go through with it, and it is successful, then I don't think it would be such a stretch to bring back the 255 Liberator, either. I can well imagine how awesome one would be if rigged with Bravos and Merc 6.2s, or Volvo's Aquamatic Duoprop.

I would love to see this come to fruition. Who knows? It may be just the thing to give sales a much-needed kick in the pants.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% that it would be incredible to resurrect the 233 and 255 with modern materials, components and drivetrain. The key is to find customers who appreciate the lines and wave-cutting hull designs of these boats, and understand that they will be slower than a comparably powered newer hull design. When shelling out the kind of money needed for a new high quality boat, especially one that's performance oriented, top speed is a major factor in the decision making process, as is efficiency (mpg). Based on the success of the retro-styled new Camaro, Mustang and Challenger cars, it seems that there may be a market for the 233 and 255 updated boats. Bringing those back might bring some positive attention to Formula and get the old school guys fired up again. As for me personally I couldn't afford a new boat like that, but I'm sure there are plenty that follow OSO Classic that could, and these would appeal especially to the Formula fans.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not long ago the smaller sis to the 233 Formula the Coronet 21 DC was resurrected for a while. the Coronet 24 Weekender is identical to the 233 I'd say...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.