Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Check for stringer and core rot!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Check for stringer and core rot!
There is no "core" material. Stringers and cockpit deck is shot and going to be replaced.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a REALLY cool boat! I like it almost as much as my sleek, which says a lot because I find a lot of boats kinda boring. That thing is WILD!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I love that 72 SuperNova on your site. Wish I had it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Cash, that's what I thought when I saw it. I knew it was mine. It just came down to cost.

Shinglman, thanks also. That's my baby. May be making another one just like it in the next few months if I can figure out how to get it here from NJ on a trailer that is not road worthy.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f , Hey I have a set of the old school finned valve covers with no holes and an old holley dominator manifold with the tube hole in the front. If you are interested stop up and see me. Tom @ Cobe.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TMITCHELL
f , Hey I have a set of the old school finned valve covers with no holes and an old holley dominator manifold with the tube hole in the front. If you are interested stop up and see me. Tom @ Cobe.
Hey Tom, I will and thanks. Still looking for something to put them on.
Almost pulled the trigger on a 1962 Gray Marine 327 AMC motor but just couldn't do. To many issues (being and AMC) to deal with. Even though the side draft carbs would have looked so cool.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Have any idea on the performance of that hull? What it originally had a powerplant, and what to expect? Are you going to to a period correct restoration in terms of the powerplant or throw something weird in?

I've always wanted a turbo rotary boat. That would be perfect.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

I found a motor I couldn’t pass on.
Between the info I found on-line on engine codes and what the maintenance folks wrote on the oil filter (it came from a back up generator for a radio station) and such I’ve come up with…. The motor is a Gen V 454 that was built on April 25th 2004. If I do the math (hours = miles) it looks like it has about 20,000 miles on the motor and it was all at 1800rpm’s or less and was all on natural gas. Clean, clean, clean.
It must have been kept inside due to the only dirt on it is like when something sat in the shed to long. It even still had bright green antifreeze in it.
It did need to be rebuilt though. Couple of the seals were starting to leak (valve covers and front main) and I plan on doing a cam change anyway so might as well finish it off with some rings and bearings and gasket set. From the back shed at a radio station to a 1963 Bee’s. Hopefully it will be happier in it’s new home.
So nothing radical but nothing lame either. Going with a 1 to 1 B/W transmission (I have to be able to shift it in and out of gear) and the rest will stay the same.
It originally (from what I’ve been told) had a small block Chevy but trying to find one that was worth fixing cost twice what I paid for the 454 in perfect condition. So I figured it will be easy to make some decent HP out of the 454 then an insane build up of a small block to squeeze out the same HP.
I also have to keep in mind the selling factor. Folks want BBC’s in these type boats. A refreshed BBC with originally having 20,000 miles on it to boot fits many of the concerns that people have when buying a boat. It’s basically a new motor that is not going to be overbuilt and prone to break (reliable power) and should get this moving into the 70‘s (mph not years lol).
I have paint ideas so it will match the boat but being I’m not using a period motor I’m going to make the bb look as new as possible. The concept is it will be like a brand new crate motor in a classic car
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Cool. Feel free to post any other photos you've found of them, they sure look..uh... "swell"? Or "groovy?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.