Interesting piece of Sonic history.....

Notices

Interesting piece of Sonic history.....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
that might be a fun project in an old school 30' Velocity which is on my short list for that 30' I/O boat. Wouldn't have the mid range torque that big blocks would and not sure how that would equate at a 3500 RPM cruising speed but every where else I'd think you'd have a winner.
I think they set a record back in the day w/small blocks into the 80's.
No but once they get all wound up that boat would move! Let me know when you build that
Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

H2O, awesome shots, Thanks! Only other shot I've EVER seen of the BZ II besides the ones I took. It was at the Strohs Grand National at Cedar point Ohio in the early 70's while my parents docked a cruiser there.
I remember that thing being way over the top. Think I was 15/16 at the time.
Believe it was aluminum? Very unique design and then 3 or 4 Chrysler Stackers?? I followed them around in my home made 8' hydroplane w/a baby Merc w/open pipes on it Pretty sure I had wood at the time.

FF2, day after I hit the lottery. I keep lookin/thinkin a 30' something next. I figure if I stick with O/B's that puts me into the mid 60's maybe 70 w/new D.I. 300's or go I/O and let finances dictate what and how far. Had a favorite Checkmate dealer in the day that was famous for selling boats w/stock power until going out of warranty. Get the right drives etc out of the box but save on power until you can afford the upgrade.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, have you ever ran a water tank in the nose on your Sonics?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Default No I....

Originally Posted by X-Driver
Gary, have you ever ran a water tank in the nose on your Sonics?
haven't Shannon. Thought about it though. Have the perfect place too. The good folks at Sonic built both my boats w/anchor lockers but not accessible from the deck?? Keep trying to think what I can store up there that I won't have to crawl over my V berth w/wet/sandy shoes to get???
Be an easy experiment to try. Figure out volume of water that locker would hold, convert to lbs and throw in an equal amount of weight.
Hummmmhhhh.......
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FastFun,
I agree with your statement. Dual OBs on V-hulls are fast but are hard to run level in the slop.

Here is a well balanced dual OB running good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUeP...layer_embedded
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

At a 1975 race on lake St Clair BZ II was entered in he made a wong turn and we did not see him until two hours after the race, might have lost in Lake St Clair's Bermuda Triangle. That boat had it's own sound with it's O/B straight pipes, It sounded like a bee hive.

QUOTE=Twin O/B Sonic;3603005]H2O, awesome shots, Thanks! Only other shot I've EVER seen of the BZ II besides the ones I took. It was at the Strohs Grand National at Cedar point Ohio in the early 70's while my parents docked a cruiser there.
I remember that thing being way over the top. Think I was 15/16 at the time.
Believe it was aluminum? Very unique design and then 3 or 4 Chrysler Stackers?? I followed them around in my home made 8' hydroplane w/a baby Merc w/open pipes on it Pretty sure I had wood at the time.

FF2, day after I hit the lottery. I keep lookin/thinkin a 30' something next. I figure if I stick with O/B's that puts me into the mid 60's maybe 70 w/new D.I. 300's or go I/O and let finances dictate what and how far. Had a favorite Checkmate dealer in the day that was famous for selling boats w/stock power until going out of warranty. Get the right drives etc out of the box but save on power until you can afford the upgrade.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Neat boat, but I heard that it is not faster than a speeding bullet
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno guys, it's a pretty neat looking boat... I like the lines... and those drives and props are pretty badass looking.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered

Default Anyone....

Originally Posted by cash68
I dunno guys, it's a pretty neat looking boat... I like the lines... and those drives and props are pretty badass looking.
know anything about those Stern Power drives??

Shannon, killer video. Had forgotten about it.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
know anything about those Stern Power drives??

Shannon, killer video. Had forgotten about it.
Cool looking, not real strong, very outdated...in a nutshell, id rather have volvos if you wanted to stay "old."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.