Im looking at 2 boats and would love some input

Notices

Im looking at 2 boats and would love some input

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Im looking at 2 boats and would love some input

Boat #1:

1987 Mirage 217 Intruder with a 5.7 litre and alpha one with a top speed of 47 mph. 544 hours, includes a tandem axle ez loader trailer. Boat is in mint condition and has been loved by its owner. ALWAYS garaged, full maintenance records, never kept in water overnight...New alpha outdrive with 10 hours. Owner is selling because he and his wife just had a baby.

Selling for $7000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86BaP...RxRstxgeGEP68G

Boat #2:

1988 Wellcraft Nova Spyder 26 with a 454 Mag and Bravo 1 outdrive and a top speed of 60 mph. 502 hours and includes a tandem axle bunk trailer. Average condition. Its a red boat so there is gelcoat fading, black bottom paint which is peeling. From what I can see no rot at all in transom or stringers, no rot anywhere on boat, no rips in vinyl (but some sun fading). Some interior pieces are cracked or broken. All gauges seem to work, trim tabs function too. Everything seems to work, cabin is very clean. Engine sounds really strong! Current owner put a ski tower on it which looks ridiculous! I would say this boat will need some work cosmetically but the basics are there for a really nice classic offshore.

Selling for $7500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNQTS...eature=related

Thoughts?

---I started a thread in general boating but the more I thought about it this probably should be in classic offshore.

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 02-26-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your videos are not working for me....
is this gonna be just a toy as in do you have a primary boat to use other than the ones your looking at
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason y
your videos are not working for me....
is this gonna be just a toy as in do you have a primary boat to use other than the ones your looking at
What are you talking about?? Boats are toys!! Lol! To answer your question, No--I will only own one boat which will be used primary on the weekends during the summer. I have no issue putting some elbow grease into a boat during the spring but dont want to be cranking wrenches in the summertime months.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just going off the description

i definatly go with the bigger boat but id add in the cost of repairs and knock the price down
id say you can find alot of boats for that kinda money just try and get one thats not rotted to hell
Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wellcraft all day magnum and bravo going to have better resale and much better on a rough day
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spyder any day!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Newer boat is going to be more trouble free but you will get more overall utility from the Wellcraft.

You didn't state what your intended use is...offshore or inland protected lake or river? If you plan any offshore use go with the Wellcraft. If you are a lake boater go with the one you like the most...the size and power won't matter much.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you are comparing apples and oranges. and asking guys who don't like oranges. it depends on what you want it for, where you will use it, what you have to tow it with and how far. millions of variables. that being said, i was looking for a 20 foot back bay boat for jersey shore, and my old 27 Nova came up for sale. so i bought it back. i guess i like apples too...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
you are comparing apples and oranges. and asking guys who don't like oranges. it depends on what you want it for, where you will use it, what you have to tow it with and how far. millions of variables. that being said, i was looking for a 20 foot back bay boat for jersey shore, and my old 27 Nova came up for sale. so i bought it back. i guess i like apples too...
You know its funny because I really didnt think about these two boats being that different initially. Now that Ive given it more thought you are right, they are totally different types of boats and the Wellcraft is much more the offshore boat.

What do I want it for? Cruising in the lake (typically 3 footers), having friends out for drinks, doing some boating in the sound (3-5 footers). I have a Chevy Tahoe 4wd with a 5.3 litre to tow it with. My Powerquest and this Wellcraft both weigh within 200 lbs dry so Im not worried about towing capacity.

I think Ive made up my mind...Even though the Mirage is extremely clean I cant get past the fact that I want a bigger boat, one with a big block, bravo and drop out bolsters.

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 02-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
You know its funny because I really didnt think about these two boats being that different initially. Now that Ive given it more thought you are right, they are totally different types of boats and the Wellcraft is much more the offshore boat.

What do I want it for? Cruising in the lake (typically 3 footers), having friends out for drinks, doing some boating in the sound (3-5 footers). I have a Chevy Tahoe 4wd with a 5.3 litre to tow it with. My Powerquest and this Wellcraft both weigh within 200 lbs dry so Im not worried about towing capacity.

I think Ive made up my mind...Even though the Mirage is extremely clean I cant get past the fact that I want a bigger boat, one with a big block, bravo and drop out bolsters.
Something to consider. My Dad had a 8.8m Fountain Spitfire back in the late 80's. It was also red gel coat. I'm a clean freak and my Dad was twice as bad. That red if it isn't paint is a real labor of love to keep it dark and bright. I would spend 4-5 hours waxing the deck to remove the chalking.....it was good for a day-day and a half in the sun before you get to do it all over again. When I watched the video of the spyder there were no shots of the deck. If it's chalky consider this. Just my 2c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.