gettin the old bird together >

gettin the old bird together

Notices

gettin the old bird together

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gettin the old bird together

ill post some more updated pics tomorrow making good lead way on a budget this boat hadnt touched water prior in 5 years before i got it had it out a time or 2 once i got it .... had leaves over a foot deep in the engine compartment black tree sap all over it headliner gone carpet wore out and no interior the cockpit cover was layin over the engines when i got it...

thanks to all on the board ive bought parts from to make it possible... gonna have 2 real nice engines for the boat with everybodys hand me downs.. plan is to use the drives this year i plan on being easy on them just want to get back in a big boat this year been with out for a year feels like forever when im just 4 minutes from the water im gonna do a run down on parts as this boat was what i wanted but the power wasnt desirable... so i weighed the costs between swaping it or rebuilding them and not being happy came in close enough to pull off the swap.... some parts where not needed but wanted by me

stringer mounts and new steering wheel 200 <fireboatpilot>
2 holley 800 carbs 530 RPMRAM
2 intakes 2 trimpumps 2 thermohousings 350 barrydebald
twinstickshifter setup 100 CRG
exhuast tips 50 bucks.. wildman1

pickedup alot of the other stuff locally
1 454 complete core with 2 sets of center dump manifolds/risers 500
1 454 complete with car trans 300
already had one fresh machined 454 layin in garage from another project

spent 160 in labor at machine shop for one 454 block to be hot tanked honed new cam bearings installed and freezeplugs

300 there in 2 complete gasket kits a set of rods bearings main bearing rings freezeplugs cam bearing

bought a set of 731 oval ports to match one other set i had already 200

spent 600 tonight ordering cams lifters springs timing chains oilpumps everything else i need to finish off engines.. from summit

if i use my drives i have ill need about 500 in new boots bearings etc for them

need cables for the new shifters lookin about 200 on them

have already done all the new carpet and headliner have roughly 500-600 in that have the bolster seats and rear seat done around 800-1000 on them have a few more interior peice to vinyl thats later on working on gettin it running

short blocks are assembled and on stands waiting for rest of parts hopefully there here by friday ill have complete engines before the weekend over..

ill need more stuff here and there before its over but not doing bad for having one completely gone threw of course could have bought one already done if i had all the money at once.. what fun would that be..

still need to catch a few good days and finish the bottom paint of the boat been raining everyother day around here

went threw all the old wiring an removed all the garbage that was installed threwout the years
someone bypassed alot of stuff as i assume they didnt know how it worked sad thing was all factory wiring is good i rewired it all back... have to figure out what im doing about the new trimpumps and oldswitch setup still

took the old shifters out and installed the new ones had to do some cutting pending pics..

tryin to keep it oldschool with a few updates..

best part off all itll be one of a kind and paid for when done.. i dont know of any other around my parts.

pretty bad ive sold off 2 other boats to fund and cut down on projects to get this one done..lol

something about the sound of twin v8,s

thats proof for all the young guys you can do it just keep your head with it i got this boat about may of last year
99 percent of work was done by me here at home

figureing 10-14 in it when done wont be far off
i traded a motorcycle worth about 3500 for it when i got it.. that includes that as well

Last edited by jason y; 04-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atta boy! Keep it up. I know how you feel currently i'm restoring a 233 while being a full time college student and working full time. Looking forward to those pics!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Keep it up man! You will appreciate it so much more when you have done it all yourself. It looks like a 255 yeah? Sprink58 here on the forum may be one of the more knowledgeable formula guys so hit him with questions. How come you have no window's in the cuddy? None of the old formula boats came without them that I was aware of. And I've never seen a twin bbc 255 before so this should be cool. Keeping the alpha drives for this year? Just don't kill them out of the hole and keep them in the water and you should last for the year
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason, I have about six new 33c cables, various lengths, that you can have cheap if you are interested. Bob N.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason,

Looks like you are making good progress. I turned the corner and am now putting stuff in instead of taking it out.

As you say...OSO Swap Shop is a God Send for a bottom feeder like me. I am drilling the transom this week end for the Bravo Transom Assemblies...just walked over to BAM and got a template from Marc Berman...great old school guy. I have couplers, shift brackets and steering ram coming from Fenderjack and Lil Red....2: new bilge blowers from pwam and Bravo Bell Housings from Johnnyboatman in Oklahoma.

Jason...it's just finding the time on top of everything else to get this stuff done.

I'm having extra vent windows made...I'll get with you when they are done.

Keep it coming...lookin good.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
JnT
Registered

I love it! Great attitude and smart thinking. It took us 6 years to get my little Apache in the water. We moved in the middle of the project so it slowed us up a bit. I do have some advice for you. Pay cash for everything you can, take as many pictures as possible of your build, skip the bling and get it in the water asap. I wasted a lot of time on stuff that could have been done after running the boat. The pics will be priceless showcasing the work you put into your boat.
You nailed it with this,
"thats proof for all the young guys you can do it just keep your head with it i got this boat about may of last year 99 percent of work was done by me here at home ".
We made a vid of our build but slacked off on the photos towards the end. Take lots of pics!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBavGbJpUQU
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

yes i have alot more pics of tear down etc.. yes everything is paid in cash sometimes sucks as i find deals and dont have the funds at the moment to make the move and lose out but ive always found something better or comparable.. on a side note missed my ups delevery today for rest of engine parts god knows ill be waiting tomorrow..lol pics to come later tonight..
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Jason,

Be proud...you have a classic.

[IMG][/IMG]

You won't find a better riding boat under 30'.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

do you know what <if any of the difference >was in the boats that have the teak wood platform behind the seat verus the sunpad like yours has.. mine was originally the platform deck which is no longer with my boat im going to make a headrest/sunpad for mine and use that place for storage for stuff i do know there is difference in the finerglass between the 2 from mine to yours.. was there a model/year diff or? mines a 77
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

My '79 was originally like yours...I still have the fiberglass well like yours does. Mine was changed to a sun-pad sometime later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.