MacGyver Supercharger... Interested? >

MacGyver Supercharger... Interested?

Notices

MacGyver Supercharger... Interested?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stickman811
I just know that improving fuel econcomy while improving performance is something I think all of us can agree is a Good Thing.
I've always thought the same. There is so much that could be done to improve both performance and fuel economy beyond what the manufacturers give us. But you'd be surprised at just how unpopular the topic actually is among folks who stand to gain the most from its consideration. It's something of a cultural taboo; the irony is so thick you could it with a knife.

Consider that in most boats, the engine(s) don't usually enjoy direct access to the cool(er) outside air beyond the small amount that finds its way into the bilge through the vents at speed.

Sure, there are always air scoops. But typically, a boat sporting those on its hatch is beyond help when it comes to fuel economy.

Instead of ice, a custom Peltier cold bank might get the job done a little more consistently. Add in an ultrasonic atomizer, and the results would be measurable.

Some years ago, I was thumbing through a box of old books at a local tag sale, and spied a title that piqued my interest : Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine: Fuel, lubricant, and other effects.

I could never look at a Holley carburetor again after reading it.

I was blown away to see that same book mentioned in this film:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJerAkLhuY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by JP-8; 07-01-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

1000 miles per gallon lol
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, even if we could get 4 or 5 miles to the gallon with the stock Mercruisers, it would make a 200 plus fillup last twice as long. I'm amazed that more fart smellers haven't patented their devices and kept them, or even found "tree Huggers" with Deep pockets to make mass production possible. I'd buy an Aftermarket Carb or kit for $500.00 if it provided more torque, cooler Operating Temps, and even 10 more miles to the gallon on my Daily Drivers. Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 and my Chevy Cruze. I drive about 40,000 miles per year between the two respectively and I spend a small fortune on Petrol. 90% of it is tax deductible, but still.. My Carbon Footprint is bigger than my Size 13's! There's a lot to be said for Ingenuity though. Well I'm off to start tweaking on odds and ends before the new shot of Awlcraft.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Hudson had water injection as a option back in the late 40's early 50's.My neighbor had it on his new Hudson,he used it for a while then just stopped putting water in the reservoir and disconnected the lines.In the mid 70's they sold a kit to put it on any car just never caught on (To Much Trouble to Keep Water in it) JOHN SR
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Yep..because hiring a company from across the Pond to renovate my Kitchen in Podunk Missouri would do so much for the resale value of my home! ;-)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

cooling the fuel would create denser fuel, adding more to produce rich mixture. that could use more fuel unless the hp from rich mixture allowed for lean jets that were taking away hp. having said that, could make aluminum or copper coil around large spin-on fuel filter and recirc antifreeze thru tubing and cool can with dry ice(must be vented outside) or just run cool water thru tubing, might fix vapor lock?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monte Carlo with a 455....skylark with a 327....they just mix and match everything out there huh??? HA!

I did build a cool fuel can myself for my grand national years ago. It worked, picked up a tenth in the 1/4 with it but we used to use dry ice. And pack ice on the intake between runs.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Monte Carlo with a 455....skylark with a 327....they just mix and match everything out there huh??? HA!

I did build a cool fuel can myself for my grand national years ago. It worked, picked up a tenth in the 1/4 with it but we used to use dry ice. And pack ice on the intake between runs.
I ran a ball drive Paxton VR4 on my LSC MK7 for a bit, it had an external electric pump added to it to circulate the oil thru an external cooler, I built an enclosure for the cooler and filled it with ice between rounds,
since the pump was electric I could circulate the blower oil with engine off, entire supercharger was ice cold at the beginning of every run. Was able to squeeze an extra couple tenths out of it with some injector tuning and that ice.
Later I went to a Novi2000 and a standard intercooler. Was faster but not as cool
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport

Buick / Olds powered Chevys and Chevy powered Buicks? WTF??

Fuel coolers, designed to prevent vapour locking adding 15 to 25 percent more grunt?

What have I been doing wrong for all these decades?

Instead of more displacement, better heads, cams, valve trains, blowers, fuel systems, etc, I should have just stuck a Ford and a cool can in my Chevy.

PS, a Merc power steering cooler with modified fittings or an old oil cooler makes a great fuel cooler for the boat. I seriously doubt it makes even one more horse power but it does relieve some accumulated heat in my fuel after a trip past the injectors and through the regulator.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how I improve fuel economy: I haul ass to the middle of the lake, turn my engine off, swim and drink all day, then drive back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.