Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Boss is a copy of the Cougars,......and bad Blood
came of it when copied/splashed.

There is a old thread on this particualr boat
somewhere,....when the guy bought it he was
pretty excited about restoring it if memory serves me.

Looks like it never took off.

Jon
Here is the thread posted by 7Xchamp from back in 2007.

[Boss boats were not real Cougars, they were copies and bad ones at that. Glass work was bad etc. They were built by A.J. Roberts at the old Cougar factory on 188th street. First 46 or 50 whatever they called it they put triple Volvo`s in or maybe was O.M.C. drives with small ford motors in her, real dog and last I saw many years ago, boat could be bought for $20,000, . Nothing bad about A.J. he is a good friend and was a great racer, just not a boat builder of the day. 7XCHAMP]
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The Glass work wasn't too bad, it was done by the same crew that laid up the Real Cougars before the packed up and left. They couldn't take everything at once so they left the original 46' behind, When it wasn't gone by a certain date AJ made a mold from it, and some other hulls as well. the boats that fit the whole mold (46's) where fine. the 42's, 33's etc that where from the same mold but blocked at the transom where JUNK, the block wasn't sturdy enough and would let the transom & back running surface come loose before the layup was done, causing hooks in the running surface that where sometimes 4" deep. He sold 8 boats (42's) to the venezualin navy. they had filler in the bottom 4" thick, Junk I tell you .... If this is a 42' you may want to step away............
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct Mike a bad copy of the Cougar, AJ caused us a lot of problems over the years what an a..hole he was. The moulds where splashed from the Red 46 that was built for the guy at Turnbury