Notices

7xChamp

Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by satsfac217
Satisfaction

"Alive and well in California"

Powered by 2, 750 HP. 557 CI. Chevrolet Engines with original Lucas fuel injection.

I have owned the boat and raced Satisfaction since 1991 with Carson Brummett throttling and maintaing the boat.

Some history highlights:

1978: Hull produced by "Team Scarab" Larry Smith in Costa Mesa, CA.
1979: Rigging completed by Bobby Moore
1980: Third place needles trophy race (English Channel) Bill Elsnick Driver, 1st place Cowes-Torquay-Cowes (English Channel), Bill Elsnick Driver (New record 79.6 Mph), Awarded British Harmsworth Trophy
1981: 2nd Place Balandi Race (Miami FL to Bahamas), 2nd Place Stuphen Race (Cape Coral, FL)
1985: Confiscated by U.S. Government (DEA) after being converted for use as a drug runner
1991: Purchased by Mike Maginn indirectly from DEA auction
1991: 2nd Place high point Super-V POPRA APBA West, 2nd Place Catalina Ski Race (Darin Kirkland Skier)
1992: First Place high point modified offshore POPRA APBA West
1994: 1st Place Overall Catalina Ski Race (Darin Kirkland Skier)
1995: 1st Place Overall Womens Division Catalina Ski Race (Lori Dunsmore Skier)
1998: 1st Place Overall San Francisco/Alcatraz Ski Race (Darin Kirkland Skier)
1999: 1st Place Overall Catalina Ski Race (Carl Goldsmith Skier)
2011: 1st Place Mens Expert Class Catalina Ski Race and current record holder (Martie Wells Skier)

Satisfaction has raced successfully for 32 years (including 16 top 10 finishes at Catalina Ski Race) and is still capable of amazing things.

Thanks for your interest,
Mike Maginn

P.S. that is not the original cowling, i built the new one in 1993
WOW what a boat ,great going for Darin Kirkland the skier too. used to watch him race at the club i belonged to here in England , They can only use boats 21 foot long herefor ski raceing still pack 1000hp motors in them .
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Satisfaction

Powered by 2, 750 HP. 557 CI. Chevrolet Engines with original Lucas fuel injection.

I have owned the boat and raced Satisfaction since 1991 with Carson Brummett throttling and maintaing the boat.

Some history highlights:

1980: Third place needles trophy race (English Channel) Bill Elsnick Driver, 1st place Cowes-Torquay-Cowes (English Channel), Bill Elsnick Driver (New record 79.6 Mph), Awarded British Harmsworth Trophy
1981: 2nd Place Balandi Race (Miami FL to Bahamas), 2nd Place Stuphen Race (Cape Coral, FL)
1985: Confiscated by U.S. Government (DEA) after being converted for use as a drug runner
1991: 2nd Place high point Super-V POPRA APBA West, 2nd Place Catalina Ski Race (Darin Kirkland Skier)
2011: 1st Place Mens Expert Class Catalina Ski Race and current record holder (Martie Wells Skier)

Satisfaction has raced successfully for 32 years (including 16 top 10 finishes at Catalina Ski Race) and is still capable of amazing things.

Mike Maginn

Yes, I'm so pleased to see this boat is still alive and in such good condition - great stuff, thanks for showing us. Do you have any more pics???
Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

that is truely awesome boat with some spectaculer history,glad its still alive and well
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Default Satisfaction

Here are some more photos of Satisfaction. The first photo was directly after the boat was purchased from the DEA with stealth colors and low compression motors. (minus the numbers)
Attached Thumbnails 7xChamp-satisfaction-4-.jpg   7xChamp-satisfaction-1-.jpg   7xChamp-satisfaction-2-.jpg  

7xChamp-satisfaction-3-.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Great shots, thanks for that. I now understand why it ended up being painted black.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 88 Posts

Satisfaction

Some history highlights:

Mike Maginn

Mike

Thank you for taking care of the boat, we are all just caretakers for the next generation of fans.

Permit me to add some clarifications to your posted history. When the boat was rigged in 1979, it was done at Bobby and Jack's shop. Bobby as you correctly stated was Bobby Moore, the sport's first throttleman for Bill Wishnick. His partner at the time was Jack Stuteville. Jack was the first to introduce to offshore all of the glitter from California, like color in the engine room and chrome everywhere. He came from California to the Orange Bowl regatta's with SK boats and stayed to become a legend in offshore, both with his throttling and rigging skills. He was the throttleman for Joey Ipolitto in 1979.

The driver of your boat for the English races was Bill Elswick, he was also US1 American champion in 1980.

And last but not least, I was very happy to hear the name Brummet in regards to boat racing again. The famous Lou Brummet, had the cleanest, fastest racing boats in the endurance classes. Salton Sea 500 and the 9 hour race in Miami. He was my hero and the hero of many others of that era.....please give his son or grandson our very best wishes.

Also if you have a moment, take a look at HORBA, www.historicraceboats.com we try to keep the history of the early offshore days alive, for all to see.

Good luck with your boat, well done.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Registered

Hello, Charlie nice to hear you jump in, very interesting. Do you have any update on your 32' Cary?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Default Satisfaction

Satisfaction