1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder) >

1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder)

Notices

1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder)

Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
i would definitely pull those motors out and tear them down. that boat had major cooling issues that never got straightened out when it was at HTG. it melted some motors while it was here. as for Cig92's motors i was the poor bastard that pulled the motors an ungodly amount of times. 90% of the motors built barely made it 15 min. here are a couple pics. after thousands of dollars and no lube we changed builders and the boat has never run better. [ATTACH=CONFIG]515638[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515639[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515641[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515642[/ATTACH]
Man that is horrible. Every time I think I need to go faster and upgrade my power, I will look at these pics.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ahlenius
Ouch!!! Thats exactly why i did not run the boat! Ok I understand you feel that you were dealt a bad hand and it sucks! The fellow i bought the boat from bought all the parts himself and Rob put it together. and i know at considerable cost. I was advised of the problems and Rob told me how it needed to be fixed. I need to reserve judgement on the guy as he did go out of his way to let me see the engines run in sub zero temps in feb, and they sounded good. He did get the parts to me to redo the cooling system eventually. So with that said going forward i would greatly accept any ideas on how to revamp the cooling system that incorporated the pickups from the old TRS drives for naturally aspirated engines to the now super charged ones Thanks for the heads up i will proceed with caution!!
your boat melted down with the motors that are in it!!! i don't want to be mister doom and gloom here but i went down a long hard road with rob. i considered rob to be a good friend of mine, i even lent him my jet boat to go up to canada every year for FREE. i was promised a lot of things from rob and in return i ended up with nothing but a mess on my hands. my motors also sounded good when they fired up, they all do until they melt down in about an hour or two. i too bought lots of new parts (so i thought). another friend i turned onto rob had spent a tremendous amount of money to make his perfectly good running 42 fountain go faster and in the long run it went slower and the motors blew up 4x. (new everything). he had 500's that made the boat run right at 79 and when he got his "new" 540/ 700's it went 75 mph. you must ask yourself, how does that happen??? simple, he dose not know what the right pieces to the puzzle are. anyone can buy a bunch of parts and slap them together and pray for the best, myself included. in fact, doing it myself probably would have ended up better and i don't know how too, but i can read, lol. on one fine afternoon rob needed some valves for his boat so he just "borrowed " them from the owner of the 42 fountain's boat while the motors where out and on the floor for the second rebuild two yrs later. (got busted red handed, ouch!!!) the rod that you see in the picture was pulled from the pan without taking the pan off, don't think you should be able to do that. btw, those were brand new rods, cranks, pistons etc. (1 hr run time). it wasn't just i that was dealt a bad hand, can count 10 of my fellow boater friends. another of my friends went and picked up his boat and we decided to bring it to my shop and pull the motor and take it to another builder only to find out what we already knew. had he run the boat it would have melted down in the first 10 minutes. we put the motor on a friends dyno after picking up the boat and paying rob in full!! there was too many reasons to doubt robs work at the time. we couldn't even run the motor over 2500 rpm because of heat temps. the motor got a complete rebuild and thousands of dollars later. SO, i urge you to pull your motors and not do what i and many others had to do. save yourself the trouble of picking up the pieces in your bilge. your boat sat at his shop for two or three years!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok I got that and now im nervous! What was causing the melt down ? inadequate cooling, bad timing, no lubrication? or over boosting? im confused. The blocks are gen 6 Bull dogs and i dont think the 6psi boost he says it has is enough to cause heat problems. So getting down to the basics if i tear the motors down what do i need to do to them that has not been done. im not understanding what corrections to the basic build that need to be made. Unless he has used sub standard parts that will not hold up, but im not seeing that.Gosh i guess i have a lot to learn. Tell me what to look for as i will be on it! So many Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Ok I got that and now im nervous! What was causing the melt down ? inadequate cooling, bad timing, no lubrication? or over boosting? im confused. The blocks are gen 6 Bull dogs and i dont think the 6psi boost he says it has is enough to cause heat problems. So getting down to the basics if i tear the motors down what do i need to do to them that has not been done. im not understanding what corrections to the basic build that need to be made. Unless he has used sub standard parts that will not hold up, but im not seeing that.Gosh i guess i have a lot to learn. Tell me what to look for as i will be on it! So many Thanks
i will have tim (88 bullet) chime in or call you when he gets back from vacation, he will be a bit more technical. in the end rob wasn't doing much of anything himself on the boats. the only thing he was concerned about was his own, he even had his guys working long hours on his boat so he could be the star at the next poker run. nothing was being checked or looked over and the guys building the motors had no real training. i had told rob multiple times that i am paying him to build my motor not the boys in the shop, i can't begin to tell you how frustrating it was to walk into the shop and see my motor half assembled and see someone two feet away grinding metal on some 4 wheeler parts. there was no clean room or any type of organization at all. if one guy started the motor another may end up finishing it. not one part ever got checked, specked out, weighed etc. the parts came out of a box (or someone elses motor) and slammed into another. i pulled 4 valves from my motors that didn't even fit. my cams sounded good but didn't make power like they should have so when we took them apart we looked up the part number and found that they were making power at 7000 rpm??? no real thought went into building these motors and certainly no time of his own. rob was too consumed with his own boat. it was the demise of his business in my opinion. your cranks are probably from ohio crank and i would throw those in the garbage and buy a good lunati or callies. that is were i would start and work your way up and check part numbers on everything, you may end up buying some good cams that match your motors and make some real power. i would check the blocks to make sure the were properly machined or machined at all as my new engine builder pointed out. we also threw out the garbage king bearings, keith black race car pistons that he got on clearance, cheap timing chains, used head bolts, oil pumps, home made head gaskets rivited together etc etc etc.... only to think i was a close personal friend of his that i sent all of my close friends to see.. you may be the one in a million that checks out ok but i wouldn't put money on it.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

F%#K! thats all i have to say right now!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

your pm box is full. just got back from vacation. give me a shout 716-465-7583 Tim
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

I cleaned it out you can pm now
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Welfare got that and have some on the way!!
No problem
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Thanks Welfare got that and have some on the way!!
No problem
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Registered

Just installed new pickups, 2 bank battery charger(Charles marine) new switches at helm. Wet sanding hull for blemish repair.Upholstery for sun pad redone to accommodate engine scoops new cockpit and deck covers. replacing all cooling hoses next week. Engines have been gone through and are fine! need a little interior work for headliner and cant quite figure out sound system but bad pretty bad ass. All said and done i should have a scrumptious, wave crushing party barge that can do 75mph, or you know what who cares maybe 35mph. Bring on the Bikinis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.