Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder) >

1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder)

Notices

1990 Aronow 39 (Blue Thunder)

Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have information on Sunset performance engines ...relocated from Lubbock TX to Sherman TX. I understand the former owner that passed away had a state of the art Machine shop. im trying to narrow down my search for a re builder. I have yet to contact Boyds.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Registered

Sorry so far I have looked at several shops near DFW 2 may be contenders, but it seems everyone is very old school on equipment ..However that being said experience is gold!

Last edited by ahlenius; 12-11-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: delete
Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new equipment and a computer geek cant out do an old guy who can read a micrometer... and knows his machine like the inside of his wifes vajayjay without sounding arrogant in this crowd id like to offer up my svc's my engine machinist has been building engines over 40 years just upgraded all his equipment with new controllers beds clamps etc new tooling for his older non Computer controlled stuff and a brand new crank balancer that's good down to less than a gram. I don't chose the parts I let the customer tell me what they want in it and if your restoring to original id ensure that as many of the original build spec parts available saw their way in with recommendations only to upgrade or add quality where it wouldn't negatively effect the engine 900SC 540's have a few specific items that have to be there to be true to the build.. if they aren't they are just meh mediocre built 540's... once you start dealing in big inch supercharged engines theres only 1 way to build em.... the right way, one little short cut its a ticking timebomb.

even something as simple as setting the oil pump puck up to pan clearance must be checked, tested, measured, and rechecked or the pics shown above will again be in your future main lines gotta be ensured straight caps may need replaced studs, girdles, decks, head decks, anything that may have moved from overheat needs to be triple checked and if it cant be made correct with the machining process a new core must be accuired that can be made right...

the guy that u want setting yer motors up is the guy that knows the tech the motors are. even if that's brand new all computer setup ill take the 20 yr old tuner kid every day of the week on a 2017 all computer car .. but the nitty gritty machine work, give me an old guy that can run his machine smoother and more accurately by ear than a computer can through his years of experience .. cause the assembly only lasts as well as the machine work under its bearing surfaces and rotating mass is .. and you aint gunna beat the old dood simply because the ******* wont let his 40 years of reputation get fubar over 1 short cut or **** up

it would however require the motors to be shipped..... and I completely understand not wanting to add that expense if there are good capable builders locally

Last edited by Midvalley; 01-01-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Registered

Well here is the update! The port engine disintegrated the #1 rod bearing while i was running the boat out to see if i could seal up the rear main seal on the starboard engine! epic fail!! (6000 RPM) not sure why the rod bearing failed but it looks like it got hot, The journal has been slightly "blued" Lack of oil? As far as parts go in the engines its actually looking pretty good!! they are both removed and stripped down. Good crane components used, Brodix big Brodie heads, good valves and springs and Kryptonite Crankshafts. engines are GM Bow Tie not sure of the bore yet, but has good H beam rods. Oil pumps not sure . Cam not sure! Oil pans aluminum however look like 10 quart. Whipple chargers are in great shape.So i am having the engines torn down by a local trust worthy shop that deals with high performance engines Things could have been much worse, but then again why did a rear main seal fail on supposedly new engines, and in particularly the front rod bearing on the other one of them. Comments suggestions?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Registered

Well here is the update! The port engine disintegrated the #1 rod bearing while i was running the boat out to see if i could seal up the rear main seal on the starboard engine! epic fail!! (6000 RPM) not sure why the rod bearing failed but it looks like it got hot, The journal has been slightly "blued" Lack of oil? As far as parts go in the engines its actually looking pretty good!! they are both removed and stripped down. Good crane components used, Brodix big Brodie heads, good valves and springs and Kryptonite Crankshafts. engines are GM Bow Tie not sure of the bore yet, but has good H beam rods. Oil pumps not sure . Cam not sure! Oil pans aluminum however look like 10 quart. Whipple chargers are in great shape.So i am having the engines torn down by a local trust worthy shop that deals with high performance engines Things could have been much worse, but then again why did a rear main seal fail on supposedly new engines, and in particularly the front rod bearing on the other one of them. Comments suggestions?

Last edited by ahlenius; 01-29-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: delete
Old 04-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Registered

RE-Doing EVERYTHING!!! on both engines. Very sad!! How anyone could consciously, put not ONE, but TWO engines together this way. It must have hurt him very very badly emotionally as a engine builder. I have to tell you, Its like a plastic surgeon knowing he is doing a very bad job but needs the money, Knowingly butchering a pair of breasts, just to make them look nice on top because its cheap,and no one will see in the dark....Well now the lights are on and Ive seen the butcher of the Bow-tie Blocks and his Handiwork.. It was shameful...utterly disgusting, bordering criminal. Well the Good news. The Engine Blocks will be ok, The Cranks maybe..The rest ABSOLUTE ****...And going forward? Im spending the Cash$$$$$$. Stay Tuned for more of the Odessy of Don Aronows last Folly
Old 07-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Registered

Engines done ............The right way!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Registered

Unfortunately i guess i cannot copy and paste pics of my new engines ...Bummer
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be able to push the image icon button at the top of the post box and link to the file on your pc
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can upload them to a picture hosting site then copy and paste link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.