Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Side exhaust (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/320837-side-exhaust.html)

f_inscreenname 12-06-2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ratman72 (Post 4230944)
Very nice, are they 350's or 373's?

454's
Trying to get another Kiekhaefer 482 offshore race motor together. Have one that is in my Biesemeyer now I built last winter. Just got to find another 427 tall deck to stroke out to a 482 now that I know how to do it.

Ratman72 12-06-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname (Post 4230955)
454's
Trying to get another Kiekhaefer 482 offshore race motor together. Have one that is in my Biesemeyer now I built last winter. Just got to find another 427 tall deck to stroke out to a 482 now that I know how to do it.

Wow, they are big motors in that size boat, very cool! Oh, I've just notice I put 373, that should have been 383..........anyhow...........my father used to have a 28' Magnum with a pair of 482's......V-boxes on straight shafts......pretty cutting edge in 1968!

When you say 482 Kiekhaefer, do you mean one of the injected Champion Makers, with the geared drive train for the ancillaries, or are you talking naturally aspirated?

Did you go to OFF this year?

f_inscreenname 12-06-2014 04:02 PM

Ya, I don't want to speak for Brownie but from what I remember they tried the set up in a Donzi the season before. Who knows where the original idea came from. PT boats back during the war used a couple motors into a single V drive so its been around for a while.
The Kiekhaefer 482 I'm talking about is from the 1969 era (nat asp). Mine was all original when I got it (broken and beaten). Looks to have been broken and sat on a shelf for many years. It was never opened for repairs so everything was there down to the gasket numbers. I thought it was a one off build until I found the rods had Kiekhaefer on the sides. A little internet searching and Bob M (the cam guy) filled in the rest. Only had the one motor and it took most of the winter to get it back together so I dropped it in my Biesemeyer drag boat for a season or until I can stay out of trouble long enough to afford to build a clone. Then they both will go in the race boat.

I've been trying to get to OFF for a couple years now but life, boats, kids, etc, etc, keep getting in the way. Spent a couple grand getting the original trailer in shape for long road trips just to get down there. Just have not made it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsKWPaf5iM&list=PLBcphYdOqWq6zvXgP9-pBqqvMds_l3sXY

Ratman72 12-06-2014 04:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Damn cool, love that motor........here's a couple of pics of my fathers 482s from 68. I was told these were pretty much prototypes at the time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533765[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533766[/ATTACH]

Ratman72 12-06-2014 04:48 PM

Do I take it that you are stroking 427s to 482s?

f_inscreenname 12-07-2014 12:48 AM

Been looking at the pictures you posted for about an hour. Downloaded them, blew them up. Just like the Nova 19 I own, rebuild the whole thing on a wing and a prayer and then find the first picture of it that’s worth a thousand words. Like in the third picture you posted with the wires on the bolts. Couldn’t figure out what was up with them on my motor. Now I think it was a way for them to keep you out of the motor so you wouldn’t discover their secrets. The picture also shows the same fuel pump mine had with the same in house made aluminum fuel line splitter box, two bradded lines to the double pumper. The only thing that’s different and puzzles me is the intake spacers on the heads. Mine didn’t have that. The same Winters intake but no spacers. Maybe they milled is off to much or something? I really like the home depot water crossover. I guess they didn’t use a circulation pump or a thermostat. Looks like there could be a Mercruiser raw water pump feeding it all with the top of a bracket showing but not the rest.
Looks like I will have to make some minor changes to make mine look exact like the picture when it goes in the race boat but man is the ACBS is going to love this when I bring it to the show this time with real (and a clone) period race motors.
Stroker 427 ….
Yup, that’s what it is. 427 tall block, welded up stock forged crank and reground stroked, longer rods, off the shelf pistons. Most of the motor is off the shelf. It was the top shelf but for the most part the marine stuff is mercruiser and the motor is GM except for the stuff Crain did like they reworked the GM heads and Winters/GM intake and it was their cam. Apparently Crain didn’t have heads back then so they just ported and polished GM heads and then resold them. Like I said I have every part number down to the simplest gasket. Back then it was cutting edge and you would have had to be an engineer to put it together. With the internet, a hundred hi-pro parts places and a good machine shop you can now build one in your garage if you have the recipe.

Ratman72 12-07-2014 03:24 AM

Hm, now there was me thinking they were reworked 454s.......I thought the 427s back then were Ford blocks? I knew that Crain were big back then.........Well, all very interesting I thought you'd like the pics, heres a link for some more of the boat and its recovery if your interested, unfortunately thats all there is of the motors.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...leased-24.html

Kalaazar 12-07-2014 05:31 AM

From my own experience the one obvious advantage was to stop taking one up the tail pipes when you pulled the taps back, major advantage for a motor with a

cam which does not like back pressure at low RPM.

My new 383`s being a case in point, slow down with care, they don't like the exhaust flaps being shut ever for a split second.

Ask Ratman 72 for further details !!.

Kalaazar

Ratman72 12-07-2014 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good point, they are pretty close to the water line on a 27 sport though.

Just saw this on my screen saver.......great shot and on topic.........1974 CTC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533777[/ATTACH]

SB 12-07-2014 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname (Post 4231182)
The only thing that’s different and puzzles me is the intake spacers on the heads. Mine didn’t have that. The same Winters intake but no spacers. Maybe they milled is off to much or something?

Tall decks (10.2 deck height) require intake spacers when using standard height block (9.8" deck height) manifolds as the heads are further apart on a taller block. The block is a 'V.'

I'm not sure if GM/Winters made a high performance dual plane intake manifold for tall decks. This explains why theirs had spacers.

Now yours - have you looked up the part # ? If indeed a tall deck high performance dual plane intake , I would say it is extremely rare.

I'm assuming you did this, but not to leave un rock unturned, did you run you block # to see if it really is a tall deck ?