Notices

Side exhaust

Old 12-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman
The Patterson side pipes were symmetrical. Bob only had to design and build only one header model---they would fit on the left, right, front or rear. Did require tailpipes of different lengths, tho---
Gene, what boat is this shot taken of? Is this the 40' Cig of Doc Magoon?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Lucas made the fuel metering unit. It is usually driven from the Cam replacing the distributor. Some had a right angle drive to run the distributor. This puts a little more torsional load on the cam and also puts more load on the timing chain.
Some Aeromarine engines had special front gear drive setups that also drove the metering unit.

Think of the Lucas metering unit as a fuel distributor.
The output at the injector is timed or pulsed as the metering nozzles spin in the housing passing each injection port. The faster the engine spins the more net flow you get. The fuel output is also multiplied by the throttle position with a mechanical linkage from the throttle shaft to the cam linkage on the top of the metering unit. Think of it like a vacuum advance mechanism.
These were the hot ticket back in the day and I believe Lucas had a patent on them.

Richie Powers adapted them for marine use when he worked for Kiekhaefer.

Jeff
Jeff, my understanding was that Crower made the early systems with Lucas. I don't know if Jim Kinsler worked for Crower but he ended up buying the tooling and a load of bits from Crower and it is now all branded as Kinsler. I think the Kiekhaefer units were basically just Crower/Lucas units......with of course the infamous red stacks!!

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-15-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

What SB said, Absolutely a cool thread with some very special contributors. Thanks for the history lesson guys. It's very much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Gene, what boat is this shot taken of? Is this the 40' Cig of Doc Magoon?
??? Maybe Charles Gill's 'I Like It Too? (ex Aeromarine III)

Last edited by Redman; 12-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Lucas made the fuel metering unit. It is usually driven from the Cam replacing the distributor. Some had a right angle drive to run the distributor. This puts a little more torsional load on the cam and also puts more load on the timing chain.
Some Aeromarine engines had special front gear drive setups that also drove the metering unit.

Think of the Lucas metering unit as a fuel distributor.
The output at the injector is timed or pulsed as the metering nozzles spin in the housing passing each injection port. The faster the engine spins the more net flow you get. The fuel output is also multiplied by the throttle position with a mechanical linkage from the throttle shaft to the cam linkage on the top of the metering unit. Think of it like a vacuum advance mechanism.
These were the hot ticket back in the day and I believe Lucas had a patent on them.

Richie Powers adapted them for marine use when he worked for Kiekhaefer.

Jeff

Thanks for triggering my memory--Jeff--

The first units Richie built used the Crower manifold----and the right angle drive---and used a Gilmer belt to drive the high pressure pump---and an electric high pressure pump to be used for starting and low speed operation---the belt drive was troublesome---but they did perform!!! Mr. K. was soon making his own manifolds (pictured) and then the gear drive 'accessory' section that could drive the high pressure pump, alternator, water pump,distributor/or/metering unit---all without belts.

Mercury Marine soon came out with a similar unit using the Crower manifold--but used the Hilborn constant flow system---just like the one used on my airplane!!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redman
??? Maybe Charles Gill's 'I Like It Too? (ex Aeromarine III)

Looks a little different to me, the engine hatches look like the boxes on a 35 or a 40.......pretty hard to tell though but those motors sure look pretty!

Here's Aero III as Realite Charger.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534418[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Side exhaust-realite-charger.jpg   Side exhaust-realite%2520charger%2520-1980-_jpg.jpg  

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Jeff, my understanding was that Crower made the early systems with Lucas. I don't know if Jim Kinsler worked for Crower but he ended up buying the tooling and a load of bits from Crower and it is now all branded as Kinsler. I think the Kiekhaefer units were basically just Crower/Lucas units......with of course the infamous red stacks!!
Sounds good to me. There were also McKay and Duggan.

7xChamp...........Tell us a story!!!!

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

The right one, the bright one, that's Martini..............this'll put a smile on your face!!

http://youtu.be/vQ7ftSCSG6E [ATTACH=CONFIG]534491[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]534492[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Side exhaust-attachment7wznn1qg.jpg   Side exhaust-pics-022.jpg  

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman72
the right one, the bright one, that's martini..............this'll put a smile on your face!!

H]
music!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Registered

Where did you find that rod??? From an early '482'----1967 or 68----?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.