Notices

Scorpion powerboats

Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535721[/ATTACH]
I thought Gazell took a Sutphen hull and made a mold from that and...... then designed a new deck for the Viper.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie. I'm pretty sure the Sutphen and the Viper are completely different - especially at the entry. Julio bought the 32 hull mold from New Jersey in 1982. I'm pretty sure that was the Viper hull mold.

Tempest copied a 32' Scorpion.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Charlie. I'm pretty sure the Sutphen and the Viper are completely different - especially at the entry. Julio bought the 32 hull mold from New Jersey in 1982. I'm pretty sure that was the Viper hull mold.

Tempest copied a 32' Scorpion.
Yes bombero bought the Viper mold from NJ.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I thought Gazell took a Sutphen hull and made a mold from that and...... then designed a new deck for the Viper.
Yes Charlie, Felix Mummolo built the viper mold in Brick Town NJ from a Sutphen hull Gazell traded Richie for a 62 Corvette.
Added 2 feet & changed the deck. There were 11 Viper hulls built. U needed 10 hulls built to qualify for P class.
I believe when Felix's venture failed he then sold the mold and it became a Tempest.
We raced that Viper the APBA & club races that season in 1980. I bought the Blue GA Sutphen & we would take 2 boats to the races.
If it was rough we used the viper. Better in the rough water. Calm races the Sutphen was 3 mph faster.[ATTACH=CONFIG]535753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535755[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535756[/ATTACH]

Doller Bill was the donor
Both boats in my driveway in Bricktown before the Benihana 1980. We won with the Viper that year
Attached Thumbnails Scorpion powerboats-dollarbill.jpg   Scorpion powerboats-sutphen-viper.jpg   Scorpion powerboats-sutphen-viper2.jpg  

Scorpion powerboats-greatadventures.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Yes Charlie, Felix Mummolo built the viper mold in Brick Town NJ from a Sutphen hull Gazell traded Richie for a 62 Corvette.
Added 2 feet & changed the deck. There were 11 Viper hulls built. U needed 10 hulls built to qualify for P class.
I believe when Felix's venture failed he then sold the mold and it became a Tempest.
We raced that Viper the APBA & club races that season in 1980. I bought the Blue GA Sutphen & we would take 2 boats to the races.
If it was rough we used the viper. Better in the rough water. Calm races the Sutphen was 3 mph faster.
Doller Bill was the donor
Both boats in my driveway in Bricktown before the Benihana 1980. We won with the Viper that year
If that's the case then the bow profile was completely changed - for the worse. I know of one death from a Scorpion stuffing. Compana, the late owner of Condor.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
If that's the case then the bow profile was completely changed - for the worse. I know of one death from a Scorpion stuffing. Compana, the late owner of Condor.
Do you have a picture of this boat?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Registered

I did... wish I could find it. It's the M-717 boat... NOT the one pictured in PR. It has SSM 2's and small blocks.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:45 AM
Registered

I'll post pics of mine shortly. Can't seem to do so from my iPad. I have a "new" 37. New meaning never splashed hull. Been working on in for a few years now. Getting ready to paint in a few months. Set up with #3s on boxes. Low profile race hatches and installing tambour door for the cabin entrance . If someone wants to post he pics I can send them to you via email. Can't seem to do it from my apple device. Would love to show all the progress to date.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by guilderoy
I'll post pics of mine shortly. Can't seem to do so from my iPad. I have a "new" 37. New meaning never splashed hull. Been working on in for a few years now. Getting ready to paint in a few months. Set up with #3s on boxes. Low profile race hatches and installing tambour door for the cabin entrance . If someone wants to post he pics I can send them to you via email. Can't seem to do it from my apple device. Would love to show all the progress to date.
Here are a couple pictures of guilderoys, 37 scorpion! He just sent these to me about a week ago .[ATTACH=CONFIG]535837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535838[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Scorpion powerboats-image.jpg   Scorpion powerboats-image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Registered

Thanks James. I may have access to the rest this evening on a PC. See how it goes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.