Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo" >

Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo"

Notices

Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo"

Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the Miami Herald Newspaper, archives dept. They covered the local races.

Col. JCG
USMC (Retired)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Try Sharkeys
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it on here.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Try Sharkeys
If i'm not mistaken, this was before sharkey's days. Contact Chris LaMorte as he has the rights to NNRT Offshore Classics. You can also contact Pete B. as he has accesses as well.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkaterMike82
If i'm not mistaken, this was before sharkey's days. Contact Chris LaMorte as he has the rights to NNRT Offshore Classics. You can also contact Pete B. as he has accesses as well.
Thanks. Looks like a great resource. I'll see if they can come up with anything.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Registered

One more thing...as I remember. The Volvo Outdrives were removed by Davney Marine, opened up, the original output shafts were taken out and replaced with hardened steel shafts. The bearing blocks were opened up and larger and stronger bearings inserted. This was done so that the outdrives could handle the expected increase in torque and power. Speedmaster lower units were installed. Then the new Radichi (Cleaver) 4 bladed props were installed. All of these improvements were (at the time) way ahead of anything seen in this class, so far. Volvo came to Miami to see what had been done to their outdrives...they were amazed, and followed the boat as it campaigned.

Col. JCG
USMC (Retired)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Registered

Great information. Too bad she doesn't still have the original drivetrain. I found a pdf scan of an article about the Hennessy Grand Prix race, I just need to figure out how to post it.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigarette_28SS
Great information. Too bad she doesn't still have the original drivetrain. I found a pdf scan of an article about the Hennessy Grand Prix race, I just need to figure out how to post it.
It would be easy to do but the will would have to be there. Old race boat are not pleasure boats. Sadly when they are altered they lose a lot of what they were.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 AM
Registered

I will always wonder why the original engines and outdrives were removed and outboards installed? Why? I also remember Mercruiser came out with the "Tempest" package...yet, El Diablo beat everything they put in
the water. I agree that a racing thoroughbred like El Diablo could never really be what one would call a "Pleasure Boat." I do think I'm finally done with all the memories....it's been great.

Regards to all,

Col. JCG
USMC (Retired)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the information Former Champ. I learned more about her from you in a couple of days than I knew in the previous 20+ years that I have had her. Best of luck to you, I'll let you know if I find that color, high res pic that I am looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.