Notices

dont get angry

Old 09-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Was it worth it financially?
You have to be kidding?
If starting off with a gutted, one off, customized, no parts available, no one sure how it originally was put together hull that was only supposed to last a season or two is financially sound thinking you need to have your head examined

Was it worth it for the satisfaction on completion and the pride of ownership?
See that is a different story and I have a couple reasons why.
Started off as a kid on an island off the coast of Maine. Where a boat was life (if you wanted off the island). They were for the most part utility boats and a bigger sail boat but you learner to fix you own stuff cause no one had money but there was always something in the storage shed that would work. Then in the mid 1970’s we moved and ended up on a major rive in Maryland. A neighborhood of poor shacks and mansions. The place directly across the river from us looked like something you would see on TV. Live bands every weekend during the summer, cars, girls (clothing optional), boats …. Offshore, jets, flattys all screaming in and out all hours. I was a 10 or 11 year old, totally star struck and thought someday I’m going to have that!!
By the time the race boat came around I had re-done a few boats by then and knew what I was getting into. I actually knew about where it was about 5 years before but held off on it until the last boat I restored just seemed like work and not fun. Figured we need each other. I wanted something unique to show off my talents and it need to be fixed. It then thought me I didn’t know **** and to this day I’m still not sure if it’s my biggest accomplishment or biggest mistake/failure. I’ve since restored 3 or 4 boats since the race boat was “finished” and I’m still doing “test drives”. It’s just a complicated mess that sometimes gets me down but then there are times like when it won the ACBS Best Race Boat award at the St Mike’s show. That can get you through a year or two of downs.
This year I’ve spent a lot more time on it then I have the past due to those other boats and made a lot of progress with new motors and such but there is always something else to do.
Another reason I am partial to this race boat is I also own a John Allmand Super Nova 19. Allan Brownie Brown owned Nova Marine and the r/b was their 1st. They then went on to make a 19’ Nova. When the sold the business they sold the molds to the 24’ to WellCraft and the 19’ were bought by Allmand. Sadly Allmand only wanted the 19’ boat for the hull and only built a few Super Nova’s before they changed it to a center console. After a lot of research I’ve found that I have the last SuperNova19 made and with the raceboat I have the first 24. Kind of bookends in a weird way.
Then there’s knowing that some of the biggest names in racing have stood in it and looked down the same deck from the cockpit as I have. Aronow said it was fast but to short. How many people can say Aronow said something (good or bad) about their boat? The thing nearly killed Brownie when he wiped it out. And ya, Brownine took my boat racing, real offshore racing, hundreds of miles out to sea and back racing, with nothing but a couple charts and a compass racing, wave crusher hull, blown motors and a steering wheel racing. I even have video of it in front of O’dell Lewis’s boat in the Bahama 500 (they were going out to practice but it was in front, lol).
How this all fits in with the OP, I would have never bought the boat unless I planned on making it a race boat again and didn’t for like 5 or 6 years hoping in a way someone else would buy it. And to be honest the seller turned down a lot of offers for it over the years but knowing that I knew the history of the boat and planned on putting it back to original was the main reason I was given the chance to buy it.
So like was said before, if it has a historical significance I would much rather see someone at least try to keep it semi original. And as much as I would like to save them all, if you plan on chopping it up there is so many other boats out there you can do that to. If only for economic reasons alone leave them alone.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Two rhetorical questions but you answered them anyway!

I've never spent anything on a boat that was financially worthwhile and doubt I ever will.
Pride of ownership is the only way I justify any boat expense. Your history and knowledge of the boats justify all the hard work and gives you pride of ownership.

Well done!

RR
Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 AM
jef
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Awh, that's funny Charlie!
yes tears still running over my face.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Registered

Yea, one of the older INXS boats.

Looked like a great job being done and a ton of money being spent but it sure made me cringe to see the old girl cut up like that.

Again though, I guess its up to the owner and who puts up the cash.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Apaches, classic V hulls, and the INXS boats!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by thebondtrader
Yea, one of the older INXS boats.

Looked like a great job being done and a ton of money being spent but it sure made me cringe to see the old girl cut up like that.

Again though, I guess its up to the owner and who puts up the cash.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Apaches, classic V hulls, and the INXS boats!
Inxs is being modernized and sped up with big power because the previous stepped boat they ran swapped ends on them. I guess they saw God and decided to go with a straight bottom.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

To the OP. It's your money. Do what you want.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Hogie is this one of the olddd INXS boats? The one I'm thinking of is the old John Gehret ride. Its been so darn long ago now that I cant keep them all straight.