Scarab Panther Advice, Help! >

Scarab Panther Advice, Help!

Notices

Scarab Panther Advice, Help!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Scarab Panther Advice, Help!

Hello, Just bought an 86 Scarab Panther, has 7.4 Merc's and BW Trans w/TRS. I thought I may have gotten a good deal, but need some advice. Took it out over the weekend, all was well, engines sound and run very smooth. Boat overall is in good shape for the age inside/out. After a few trips, and maybe an 1.5 hours total use went to back out of my slip, and no reverse. It was working just fine when I backed out of the slip before, no hard shifts, hardly used reverse much, and returned to neutral between gears. Really only got the boat up to full speed once mainly just cruised 25-30.

A few questions... Is there any type of neutral/safety switch which would cause this? Forward still works fine on both engines, and can see shifters are moving the cables properly to engage reverse. Just find it odd both would go out at the same time with no real cause.

If it needs tranny work, I live in Virginia... Any recommendations? Anything else I should be aware of checking? It's been raining here a bit, anyone know the exact model BW trans these have? Any estimate what it would cost to pull engines/BW's and rebuild?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Oil level?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

Both sides have no reverse?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oil seems fine, not milky etc. checked levels after use... No reverse either side.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

checking fluid level on a BW trans is tricky. you need to check it right after it is shut down. I would disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever on the trans and manually check it. The BW trans has detents that click when it is properly in gear. Your forward adjustment could be fine but reverse is not traveling back far enough.