Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics added! I have more also.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered

Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Registered

Let me know any thoughts on what this is. Also, any tricks for retrieving the HIN from under the primer/filler on the transom. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Very recently there was someone posting looking for identification on a very similar boat that had the same forward deck shape/design . I can't recall the thread but looking for titles using similar terms might locate it (terms like 'what do I have?' and 'can anyone identify / know / what this is ?' ) I think that in that instance the boat was eventually identified. It wasn't too long ago . If there is a HIN hidden under the paint on the transom the only way you're going to expose it is to keep sanding down until it exposes itself assuming that it wasn't completely ground out and obliterated before painting .
In this case whatever that is does sort of resemble a 27 Mag hull but it looks like the builder added extra freeboard from their character line (crease) up . And it's strange to see that line across the transom as well . If you have an exact center line length it might also help .
As for transom rebuild threads , there's loads of them , especially in the fiberglass section. Although , if that thing needs a new transom it probably also needs a whole lot more too.

Last edited by madbouyz; 06-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Registered

Thank you for the info. I have noticed that extra accent line on the freeboard, and there aren’t too many of the older boats that have it. Previous owner bought it off eBay, and all paperwork said magnum. Steering wheel is magnum. However, overall centerline is 25’ give or take a few inches. Bilge area has x pattern on both sides of center stringer, unlike any I’ve seen online. There is a halon system and fire lever on the dash. Underneath the teak on front, there is an original dash bulkhead that is untouched.

Good idea searching for other identify searches! Should help narrow it down.

Yes, I’m sure the transom is just the start. Fortunately it is just soft around the outdrives, which I’m sure is typical.

All help is appreciated!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

For some reason I'm pretty familiar with a Magnum 25 . lol
There is strong similarities to the Mag 25 hull except for the character line running across the transom . The Mag 25 hull happens to be 25'5" LOA for reference.
I guess it's a possibility that someone splashed one and had to do the 10% variation thing to make it legal but the deck/interior is nothing similar at all .
It looks like it's got Volvo 250-270 drives on it and if that's original it will help date it as the 270s were phased out for the 280s somewhere in the later 70s I believe.
On the Mag 25s the hulls that had twins in them had a hook on the chines , the single engine hulls didn't , so if that was a splashed Mag 25 hull it was done off of one intended to have a single in it .
The dash layout looks like the builder was possibly trying to go with the Mag 27 sport style . The steering wheel in the pics though is def not an original Magnum piece and the deck sure isn't Magnum 25 either .
Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Registered

Thanks so much for the insight. In regards to the transom line, someone was trying to cover and fill the exhaust holes. From what I could tell, they shaped plywood to match the side lines, then glassed and gelled over it. One of the holes is unfilled on the inside and the ply is visible. This actually might help the HIN quest.

I agree, the topside is tough. The louvre/engine hatch setup is similar to a cig, but I don’t think they made a 25??? The teak/dash setup is a bit of a mess, but a couple unique items: 1. there’s two cables on top, missing handles, that look like they were for something in the engine bay.
2. The two large holes look like they could have been for the old style bubble vents??? Or ???

I did did notice another unique feature in the bilge. A large center stringer with 2 smaller outers would have made a single almost impossible with the flush hatch cover. There are no other mounting holes that I could see. What’s unique is the x bracing on the bottom. See pic. Also, this boat has two very large fuel tanks, one under floor, and another in front of the helm along centerline.

Please keep the thoughts and experience coming!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM
Registered

Does anyone have any pics to share of 25' hulls that would be similar?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

There's a couple of pictures here of an original Mag 25 and the brochure .

Sport 25

Notice the hull similarity but the totally different deck .
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Registered

Link says page not found. Maybe its me???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.