Need Info for an IMP Eleganza 255 >

Need Info for an IMP Eleganza 255

Notices

Need Info for an IMP Eleganza 255

Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd hand speed
So got to work for a while today and got the first stringer out. The stringers are 4 pieces of 2x4 bonded to the inner liner then the inner liner is bonded to the hull. The bottom of my liner is no longer bonded to the hull so once I got the fiberglass off from over the stringer, the aft end of the stringer lifted right out and the front came out without much more effort, I guess thats why the liner is cracking, For the time being I am going to continue working toward replacing the stringers and transom, learning and experimenting with designing and modifying the hull. At this point what do I have to loose. I like the ride and cockpit space of this hull.
I'm sure you're going to get lots of votes to get rid of it but if you really like the look, design, style, fit, function, and overall aesthetics of the boat - my vote is to stick with it.

You're going to pour money into any used boat you buy, and I've always found that it's better to just stay with a project until the end. This way you know exactly what you have and there's no more surprises. Plus, if you know that she's going to be a keeper and that you won't be looking to sell her in the future.........

To be fair to Griff's point, if the money you're going to spend is more than if you just found the same boat that needs less work, that may be a consideration. The problem is, I don't see a lot of these boats advertised much of anywhere, and I certainly don't see hardly any for sale.

Once your able to post pics, please do, I'm dying to see what yours looks like so I can compare it to mine. I'm especially interested in seeing your interior forward cabin looks like.

Good luck with the project
Old 02-07-2021, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a IMP 255 with twin 454 Mags and Alpha One out drives. .I am second owner, 396 hours. Have the original paper work.couple old brochures. One where Wilt Chamberlain endorses the IMP boats.
Not sure how this forum stuff works, first time I have tried to respond to a forum. I have owned the boat 15 years. It has been fun, but I never have had time to use it. So it is time for a new home for the boat
Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kevin Debrick
I have a IMP 255 with twin 454 Mags and Alpha One out drives. .I am second owner, 396 hours. Have the original paper work.couple old brochures. One where Wilt Chamberlain endorses the IMP boats.
Not sure how this forum stuff works, first time I have tried to respond to a forum. I have owned the boat 15 years. It has been fun, but I never have had time to use it. So it is time for a new home for the boat
Hi Kevin,

Yours must really move with twin 454 Mags, what's the fastest you've ever taken her up too.....???

Mine is an 89 with twin 350's that also has the Alpha One outdrives, and the previous owner told me that he could get her to nip at just below 70.

Sure wish you had posted this back in late October, I may have been interested but I have this new project so I'm in for the long haul now.

I did wind up getting an original brochure from a web site that sells NOS boat brochures and it gave me all the information I was looking for.

As of right now she's sitting in a boat yard wrapped up for the winter, while the engines are being examined.

I'd love to see pics of your boat to do a comparison to what mine looks like but you have to post ten times before they'll allow you to post pics.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kevin Debrick
I believe this is post #10 for me, so here's mine....

The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-07-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure but I "may" still have all the original manuals and sales lit. (including the zip pouch it came in) for your boat.
The next time I back home l'll look.
Twin O/B Sonic (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Damon R. Fowler
Not sure but I "may" still have all the original manuals and sales lit. (including the zip pouch it came in) for your boat.
The next time I back home l'll look.
Oh wow that would be really great if you do, please do let me know and thanks for the reply..👍
Twin O/B Sonic (02-19-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Registered

Once you post ten posts you can, so like I tell everybody....

Lets just go back & forth with each other "literally 9 more times", and you'll be able to post pics.

Swear to god I don't understand why some of these forums have this policy.

Almost all of the car & motorcycle forums I belong to don't have this policy, and you can start posting pics right away.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Registered

I'm in the same spot as others here, I just bought the 1986 Imp 255 Eleganza with the dual 350's, the console instruments show less than 255 hours on the boat and that seems weird.

My big issues are I need to locate the HID so I can register it, as they don't want to see the title, and I think things are strange because the ID plate with model number and engine and fuel weight is under the steering wheel attached with brass wood screws. Haven't seen the HID and the weight information for the boat. Mine is 25.5 ft long on a dual axle trailer. I made it 10 minutes from the previous owner's house then tires started blowing. Luckily I was near a trailer repair shop, so it's been there for 6 weeks now waiting for the new wheels and tires I found (8 ply on 2500 lb capacity wheels) The previous owner bought it as a project but never started it. They said the port engine gets water in oil after 6hrs running in the water and the starboard in about an hour. Luckily the interior vinyl has no rips, tears or faded areas. Someone spray painted over the graphics on the side, but an easy fix.

It has no documentation with it. If someone would rent me their docs, I would scan them all and return promptly.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mburg524
I'm in the same spot as others here, I just bought the 1986 Imp 255 Eleganza with the dual 350's, the console instruments show less than 255 hours on the boat and that seems weird.

My big issues are I need to locate the HID so I can register it, as they don't want to see the title, and I think things are strange because the ID plate with model number and engine and fuel weight is under the steering wheel attached with brass wood screws. Haven't seen the HID and the weight information for the boat. Mine is 25.5 ft long on a dual axle trailer. I made it 10 minutes from the previous owner's house then tires started blowing. Luckily I was near a trailer repair shop, so it's been there for 6 weeks now waiting for the new wheels and tires I found (8 ply on 2500 lb capacity wheels) The previous owner bought it as a project but never started it. They said the port engine gets water in oil after 6hrs running in the water and the starboard in about an hour. Luckily the interior vinyl has no rips, tears or faded areas. Someone spray painted over the graphics on the side, but an easy fix.

It has no documentation with it. If someone would rent me their docs, I would scan them all and return promptly.
I think you meant to say "HIN" number, not "HID"

"The HIN is found on a metal or plastic plate, typically on the transom of the boat, usually on the right starboard (right) side of the transom within two inches of the top of transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest."

That's exactly where I found mine, to the starboard side (right side) just below the transom (top of the rear of the boat)

That other plate you're describing sounds funky and I can't help with that or documents, but at least now, hopefully you'll be able to find your HIN number.

I don't have any leaking issues with mine and structurally she's super solid.

Both of my motors are shot though so I'll be purchasing two drop-ins within a few months and get to the upholstery & paint later on this year or early next year.

Mine won't be going into the water this summer, but if everything goes right, she will next summer.

Good luck with your boat, and post pics when you can. (usually that's after you've written 10 posts)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vice
I think you meant to say "HIN" number, not "HID"

"The HIN is found on a metal or plastic plate, typically on the transom of the boat, usually on the right starboard (right) side of the transom within two inches of the top of transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest."

That's exactly where I found mine, to the starboard side (right side) just below the transom (top of the rear of the boat)

That other plate you're describing sounds funky and I can't help with that or documents, but at least now, hopefully you'll be able to find your HIN number.

I don't have any leaking issues with mine and structurally she's super solid.

Both of my motors are shot though so I'll be purchasing two drop-ins within a few months and get to the upholstery & paint later on this year or early next year.

Mine won't be going into the water this summer, but if everything goes right, she will next summer.

Good luck with your boat, and post pics when you can. (usually that's after you've written 10 posts)
I believe you are correct on the HIN, but the state registration paperwork here calls it HID, it says it prefers rubbing of the number plate, which sounds not as simple as having the title and paperwork showing ownership. The other plate says coast guard information regarding passenger and cargo total weight and gasoline and motor weight of aprox 2900 lbs, passenger capacity of 8 mazimum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.