Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Boat build idea.. good bad ugly. >

Boat build idea.. good bad ugly.

Notices

Boat build idea.. good bad ugly.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Boat build idea.. good bad ugly.

Evening all,

Recent interest found me looking at a 24' 1988 sunsation rocket, its a canopy race boat. It's actually and old race boat. The ad is in the OSO classified section, wouldn't be surprised if the current owner even chimes in on this. It's currently been redone so to speak. They have removed the rubrail and bonded the upper and lower section of the boat together and created an unobstructed smooth transition between the deck and hull, pop up cleats new paint on inside and outside of boat. I've been told by current owner the boat is solid as a rock. I will be getting a boat survey before pulling the trigger on the purchase. I'll try and add pictures or the classified ad to the post.

It currently needs power and drive. It's a single engine boat ,,,now the big question I would like to break 100mph.... to tell the truth I would like to do 130 call me crazy.

Think a single Big block will do the trick? or should I be looking at a twin engine boat and 30+ feet?

Second idea should I just say screw this idea and buy a 2000's Baja boat or checkmate Convincor and do modifications? I have a strange love for old race boats and canopy boats are just totally bad ass...

I'm mechanically inclined as I'm a red seal auto tech so that no real issue, I've never rigged a boat but I'm not afraid to learn.

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:12 PM
Registered

This is the ad description as I couldn't figure how to add the ad to the post.

Canopy boat with possibility for a cuddy cabin. All of the rub rails have been cut off and the deck has been bonded to the Hull. All of the work was done by a professional who is also the individual who built this boat at the factory. All of the windows are out and ready to be put back in. They are scratch resistant. The engine well and the passenger compartment are bright Orange. The boat itself and the dashboard as well as a few other accents are 2018 Dodge battleship grey. We have a motor available that is a 496 Roller with Eagle internals that is fresh and has only been started on the stand. We have a Bravo X drive that is in excellent condition. The transom plate is mounted on the transom. There are brand new recaro suspension seats available for the right deal. All of the door quick release hardware is brand new. All of the cleats are pop up cleats. Switch panels and other various electrical components are also there. If someone was to take a little bit of time and put all of this together, it is very close to a running and ready offshore racing or poker run boat. Gaffrig gauges, dual axle galvanized trailer, has a title and is registered. 20,000 for the boat alone. 2000 additional for the outdrive. 7000 additional for the motor. 1000 additional for the seats. Have more photos. Located at TJH Composites in Port Huron.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:14 PM
Registered

Old 07-01-2021, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Thats a 24/7 isn't it?? 130 ?? Mind if I take out a life insurance on you??

24/7s are great boats, they have been splashed more than about any hull ever made. They are a ton of fun, handle rough water very well for their size. They are fanatastic up until you get up into the 80s 100 is doable but it will take the fun out of the boat.

There is a threshold there, where you exceed the happy limits of a bravo and a bullet roof 650 hp motor and the cost rises exponentially.

Im not against going fast, just pick the right boat.
The following 6 users liked this post by phragle:
3D CIG (07-01-2021), BIGSLOW (07-01-2021), BlackJack58 (07-01-2021), larslindroth (07-01-2021), Padraig (07-01-2021), TeamSaris (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Thats a 24/7 isn't it?? 130 ?? Mind if I take out a life insurance on you??

24/7s are great boats, they have been splashed more than about any hull ever made. They are a ton of fun, handle rough water very well for their size. They are fanatastic up until you get up into the 80s 100 is doable but it will take the fun out of the boat.

There is a threshold there, where you exceed the happy limits of a bravo and a bullet roof 650 hp motor and the cost rises exponentially.

Im not against going fast, just pick the right boat.
Yes to my knowledge and the research I’ve done it’s a 24-7 boat. You did answer my question perfectly. But the one question still remains what would be a better option? What’s the better size and design?

Should I look for 30’ - 35’ with a wider beam? For better stability and twin engines. What’s the tipping point?

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

A Baja or Checkmate will never get you where you are wanting to be. You should be looking for a Superboat or something similar if you are wanting to stick with a single engine. Start with a hull that was designed for speed if speed is what you are after. That Sunny would be cool though if you stuck a 1350 and a #6 drive on her. I would say you could hit your target speed, ONCE.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 07-01-2021 at 08:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
3D CIG (07-01-2021), BIGSLOW (07-01-2021), Padraig (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

look at the aussies they put an 1550 in with 2 drives and tow 2 skiers at 140s anything is possible........feasible is another story
The following users liked this post:
3D CIG (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for that feedback, I'll look into that hull. I'm not stuck on single engine boats. I'd be open to dual.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is will get the speed your asking.
https://www.tuffboats.com/tuff-28i.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
This is will get the speed your asking.
https://www.tuffboats.com/tuff-28i.
I did enquire with Mark Weigl about a tuff 24, for a base 24 with everything except motor and motor rigging was just under 100k without tax. That's more than I'm looking to spend I want to be around the 50-60k mark.

But I do like the suggestion they make some wicked boats that look to run on rails!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.