Notices

Wellcraft III

Old 12-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wellcraft III

Hello, looking at a 80s S Type for a total refit, Boat is for free, no motors only TRS drives, everything else is original and in decent shape. What is the difference between a Panther and a S Type. Any advise on doing this refit would be appreciated.

Top Answer

12-07-2021, 02:46 PM
CDShack
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a sure-fire rule to make sure my renovations stay on budget, whether it's a commercial building or a bicycle. Spend a good deal of time and figure the cost (to the penny) of everything you can possibly think of for the project'
Take that figure, and DOUBLE IT. Once you have that figure, add 30%! Bingo! the true cost of the renovation! (I'm redoing the very first Scarab I bought nearly 35 years ago --- I quit looking at receipts a year ago, and banned my wife from looking at them 2 years ago!)

Good Luck! Post pics!
Old 12-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

Free is probably more than it's actually worth.
The S-Type was marketed with KAAMA drives, but could be ordered with different drive trains. The S-Type was 29'6" and the Scarab III was 33'10"
It looks like the Panther and S-type were very similar if not the same, but I don't know other than looking at the brochures.
As far as the restoration goes it really depends on the space you have to work on it, and your budget. You can learn the technique and develop skills as you progress through it.
It will take way longer and cost a @#!+ TON more than you anticipate!
If you move forward, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site, take advantage of it, and please start a restoration thread. I personally love that stuff!
Post some pics, and good luck!
If you're married, and she is used to having you around the house, probably not a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (01-03-2022)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:46 PM
Registered

I have a sure-fire rule to make sure my renovations stay on budget, whether it's a commercial building or a bicycle. Spend a good deal of time and figure the cost (to the penny) of everything you can possibly think of for the project'
Take that figure, and DOUBLE IT. Once you have that figure, add 30%! Bingo! the true cost of the renovation! (I'm redoing the very first Scarab I bought nearly 35 years ago --- I quit looking at receipts a year ago, and banned my wife from looking at them 2 years ago!)

Good Luck! Post pics!
The following 10 users liked this post by CDShack:
1983ScarabIII (02-25-2022), glassdave (12-08-2021), hblair (12-30-2021), resurrected (12-08-2021), SB (12-07-2021), scippy (12-08-2021), Sonic30ss (12-11-2021), TexomaPowerboater (01-13-2022), TomZ (01-03-2022), TrippM (12-07-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Search this website for restoration projects, it takes special love by a person to really want to restore a large boat. Remember the backbone of most boats is wood and wood will rot out no matter what this wood is always around water. I dont want to discourage you from a project, hell I love looking at the threads. There is one on here about a 38' Top Gun this guy has earned high reward for what he is doing. Good Luck and if you go the route start a thread for us.

Wellcraft made:
30 ft raised deck Scarab II
30 ft Flat deck S type
30ft Panther Flat deck made after the S type
34ft raised deck Scarab III
34 ft Ninja, flat deck

I always tell people that Gas is the cheap part of boating.
The following 3 users liked this post by boomer:
hblair (12-30-2021), Sonic30ss (12-11-2021), TomZ (01-03-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:56 PM
Registered

Default Scarab II

Ok Boys, I pulled the trigger on this Scarab II. The Add description is below. Comes with all documentation and receipts from new. After many conversations and videos and pics with the owner I felt it was a good deal. I will go through the entire boat and fix what need to be fixed. 1st, motors will be pulled, then the fun begins. I figured 20k to put into on the high end but prepared for higher. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

​​​​​​1985 Wellcraft Scarab II2nd owner. Engines Rebuilt and boat reassembled 4/21. Twin 4545 GEN IV' with mild roller cam and new manifold on full overhaul. #5 hours last week the starboard engine lost power.. reduce to idle then shut down. Engine fires othe rengine is fine. TRS drives on Velet tranny's. All steering, nuts bolts screws, manifolds etc are newly installed 2021. Boat has been housed and or kept out of water for its life. Garmin Fish Finder, @ anchors, lines, CD stereo, new bolsters and rear deck cushions. I restored the boat to this point to us but now time doesn't permit to continue the hobby.
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (02-25-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Seaweed100
Ok Boys, I pulled the trigger on this Scarab II. The Add description is below. Comes with all documentation and receipts from new. After many conversations and videos and pics with the owner I felt it was a good deal. I will go through the entire boat and fix what need to be fixed. 1st, motors will be pulled, then the fun begins. I figured 20k to put into on the high end but prepared for higher. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

​​​​​​1985 Wellcraft Scarab II2nd owner. Engines Rebuilt and boat reassembled 4/21. Twin 4545 GEN IV' with mild roller cam and new manifold on full overhaul. #5 hours last week the starboard engine lost power.. reduce to idle then shut down. Engine fires othe rengine is fine. TRS drives on Velet tranny's. All steering, nuts bolts screws, manifolds etc are newly installed 2021. Boat has been housed and or kept out of water for its life. Garmin Fish Finder, @ anchors, lines, CD stereo, new bolsters and rear deck cushions. I restored the boat to this point to us but now time doesn't permit to continue the hobby.
Welcome to the Club! Scarabs of that vintage (I have one) are notorious for transom and stringer issues. I would take my little ball pin hammer and smack around on the transom and engine room stringers, close to the back. A lot of boat of that era had similar issues, but Wellcraft was notorious for leaving wood exposed (sometime very small openings) that over time, created rot issues. I've redone my transom and last 2' of the stringers, and re-engineered some of Wellcrafts shortcomings! LOL! They are great boats otherwise, enjoy!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Congratulations! Lets see some pictures!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:24 PM
Registered

Thanks,
So the boat is finally in my garage, I am pulling the engines, any words of advice? Can I leave the trans and drives is and just pull the engines?

Thanks
John
Old 04-13-2022, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I find it easier to pull the drive off, then remove the engine and transmission as a single unit. There is nothing to support the transmission once its separated from the engine.
Mine are SSM and don't have the rear transmission mounts

Last edited by resurrected; 04-13-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 282 Posts

How's the project coming along? How much stringer/transom work does it need?