78 Welcraft Nova question >

78 Welcraft Nova question

Notices

78 Welcraft Nova question

Old 04-05-2022, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank yall for the continued input.

Maybe warped from incorrect bunking is the better description. The history is unknown and I only had it on the water for about an hour before tearing the floor section up, so I dont know. When I bought it, I thought that is exactly what it was, damage. What had me questioning that assumption was...

1) no listing underway, and it has a tuna tower, so any list would be pretty obvious.
2) no percievable damage to the stringers, even though they are rotten and need replacement. I thought when I tore the floor out I would find crushed or bowed out fiberglass at that spot in the stringer.
3) there is no "oil canning" or uneven surface in the hull adjacent to the hooks.
4) this is a single engine and most 250s are twins. So just maybe only singles had hooks.

Mr. Browns information that the hull contained no chine hooks certainly seems to suggest that its hull damage. Who knows what Welcraft did, but I find it hard to imagine that they added chine hooks for the comparatively few single engines made.

Still in the dark, I think I'm going to get it Bunked up perfectly, hollow out the stringers, and see what happens. If the hooks do not come out, and they do cause any problems, I can always fill and fair from the outside.

short of a definitive answer, does that sound like a logical plan?
Old 04-06-2022, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess a little clarity is needed as to if it is definitely the chines or if it's the hull bottom .
You do know what the chines are , right ?
The area where the hull sides meet the bottom of the hull and form what is generally a 90 degree angle. If you're looking at the rear of the boat from astern they're the 'corners' of the hull closest to the waterline .
The hull bottom is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I've got a boat that was incorrectly bunked for an extended period of time and it had a slight hollow deflection on both sides that had to be epoxied out . There was no stringer damage though as the incorrect bunking fell on either side of stringers.
I remember seeing a boat from a very reputable builder many years ago at a boat show that something must have gone drastically wrong with when they pulled it out of the mold and the bottom looked like a mirror from the fun house at a circus .
If it IS in the hull bottom you'd certainly want to correct it .
Old 04-10-2022, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteria

Still in the dark, I think I'm going to get it Bunked up perfectly, hollow out the stringers, and see what happens. If the hooks do not come out, and they do cause any problems, I can always fill and fair from the outside.

short of a definitive answer, does that sound like a logical plan?
Thats what I would do. My SuperNova 19 had a bit of a hook in it at the very transom. Just feathered it out from the outside and never had anymore issues. Molds get used over and over they tend to get a little out of whack and then sitting in the Florida sun dont help either. They are almost never exact copies.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slight change of plans... Starting to feel like i was getting in over my head, I researched local fiberglass repair shops. One was suggested 5 to 1 over all others. I contacted him, we discussed. Price seems reasonable, so I'll be bringing it to him for all new stringers, bulkheads, transom, motor logs, floor and some other miscillanious cosmetic work as soon as my new trailer axle arrives.

If this is my 10th post, I'll add a picture of the hull. Not because its anything to brag about right now, only because it might be unique. It's likely the only Nova anyones ever seen with a tuna tower.

Steve
Old 04-10-2022, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteria
Slight change of plans... Starting to feel like i was getting in over my head, I researched local fiberglass repair shops. One was suggested 5 to 1 over all others. I contacted him, we discussed. Price seems reasonable, so I'll be bringing it to him for all new stringers, bulkheads, transom, motor logs, floor and some other miscillanious cosmetic work as soon as my new trailer axle arrives.

If this is my 10th post, I'll add a picture of the hull. Not because its anything to brag about right now, only because it might be unique. It's likely the only Nova anyones ever seen with a tuna tower.

Steve

A picture is worth a thousand words ! It'll be interesting to see what you're talking about for sure .