Barn Find 1987 Scorpion 29 foot >

Barn Find 1987 Scorpion 29 foot

Notices

Barn Find 1987 Scorpion 29 foot

Old 03-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
Mitch, good memory! John worked out of one of my buildings for a couple of years. He did the bottom work on my 233. He tried to sell me a 30' hull that had never been rigged, and the balsa in the hull was all wet. He had some really good guys working for him, but he was always behind in paying bills so they would cut corners when they had to.
Yes. The only thing I remember is boat stuff lol. I recently found my old 1991 poker run poster. It has the old 43 "Don Johnson special" and what I believe is Tony Carson's old red and white Scarab that used to be docked at the marina in the inner basin as you pulled into the driveway.
The good old days.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Guys. Thanks for spending a minute in your memory archives !

I have heard that the owner/ builder met an unfortunate ending. This boat has some definite history. I think I'll make an effort to attend the show in Gravenhurst in July.

Thanks again for the info. I'm getting itchy to get it off the trailer for it's first time in over 22 years. Fingers crossed.
Glen
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (04-25-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

I have not heard the details of his passing, but he played hard and had no problem owing the wrong people, so it would not surprise me.
He was a bit like a mad scientist fueled by coke with an IV of red bull
He had some genius ideas and was not afraid to try new things
Old 03-27-2023, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice
Old 03-28-2023, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
I have not heard the details of his passing, but he played hard and had no problem owing the wrong people, so it would not surprise me.
He was a bit like a mad scientist fueled by coke with an IV of red bull
He had some genius ideas and was not afraid to try new things
He could drive a boat too. He was a dreamer though for sure.

Perhaps who he is referring to is Dave Cameron? He had some Scorpion molds in his "possession" at one time. Wild stories in the boat world in these parts.

Last edited by mitchie; 03-28-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

I just took it out for its first run in almost 25 years. I'm on Lake Ontario. The Lake temp is about 5 Deg C. The air was 12 Deg C.
The lake conditions weren't great for a first flight. 10-15 knots of wind and 18"-24" chop. I got it up to 4000RPM (speedo didn't work) and WOW!
The nose came down and it was soooo smooth. It bogged slightly on turns but pretty sure that's fuel level related.
My was face frozen in a grin... Not sure if the air temp or something else.
I'm going to fix a few issues but it's going to be a GOOD summer.
The following 4 users liked this post by 1987Scorpion30:
larslindroth (04-25-2023), rak rua (04-24-2023), resurrected (04-25-2023), Stormrider (04-24-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

This is so cool. Very happy your sea trial went well and made you stoked ahead of the pleasant boating season. Best of luck and look forward to your updates this summer.

Btw, who did you pick for insurance? I'm about to switch to Hagerty for my 1990 Team Scarab 31. It's got a HIN with 1989 though sold as a 1990 model year and despite that

Hagerty got a pre-1990 cut-off date for their classic boat insurance, they will take mine due to the HIN. Even though my boat appraises for six figures, I don't like the rates

and business policies of most insurers for classic boats in great condition. Hagerty's rates are a fraction, I got my classics cars with them, all policies are agreed upon

value as you probably know, and unlimited overland transport coverage when one trailer the vessel in the United States and Canada.

Hagerty Classic Fiberglass Boat Insurance.

Last edited by larslindroth; 04-25-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
So when you came upon your new barn find, was it pre-conditioned for it's long, long nap?......any old gas in the tank, that sort of thing?
I know the joy of a barn find..........my 1982 35' Cigarette was re-rigged and customized in '96 covered & stored away in a building until
I found her in 2016........reason I ask is, mine was never prepped for it's long nap.....1/4 tank of fuel was molasses!
My 300 Condurre 1986 was stored in 1994.

Opened the fuel fill caps...and was surprised to get new'ish gas smell.
Pulled the port floor board...opened the fuel level sender to inspect.

Aluminum tanks are perfect inside...fuel was amber...obviously toast...but still smelled better than old skunky gas that I'm used to when it ages.

Feeling pretty lucky the tanks are gtg.

Thinking about pulling them and doing a proper aluminum prep and painting them.

I'll be in Salt Water exclusively....vs the hull's fresh water life so far.

Nice Barn find for sure. Those Mercs do look like they came out of the crates.
resurrected (06-20-2023)