thinking of buying af Formula 252 SS

Notices

thinking of buying af Formula 252 SS

Old 07-23-2023, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thinking of buying af Formula 252 SS

Hi

If this is not "classic" enough, Then i will of course delete and repost some where else

I have previously posted about purchasing a Formula 242, where many of you provided valuable input. However, I decided against that boat due to issues and deficiencies. Now, I have found this Formula 252 SS, which I am interested in. Do any of you have input or thoughts, anything specific to be aware of? Thank you in advance.

https://www.blocket.se/annons/110396274

Best Regards

Mads

Note: I am from Denmark, and the boat is advertised on Blocket, which is the Swedish version of Craigslist.

Last edited by MadsFromDenmark; 07-23-2023 at 05:33 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 07-27-2023, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

The Formula 252 SS is a sporty family runabout, Mads. If you're after a poker run type of boat you need something a little bit more offshore performance-oriented i.m.h.o. The deadrise on the 252 is 22 degrees which is OK, but with its wide beam in basically only a 24' hull, it's not ideal. The specific boat for sale has a serious motor, and the drive will be good enough most likely to let you see 75 mph. That's fast for this type of boat, and you won't be doing more than 50 mph in a poker run if your crew should feel safe and enjoy themselves. The re-upholstery of the interior is truly subpar, and I see other signs that make me hesitate about the condition of this specific boat for sale. Engine and drive are the expensive parts, but in what condition are they truly? Bottomline for me is; this is not an ideal high-performance boat suited for poker run activities, and due to the high fuel costs now, the difference between the purchase price of say this Formula and a twin-engine, slightly larger real high-performance offshore boat has shrunk dramatically. I used to own a 30' Flying Flipper that was rigged with twin Mercury Racing 300XS outboards. It was later raced a couple of times by the Norwegian I sold it to, 10 years ago, in the Annual Skagerak Across race, and it kicked ass. Those '80s Flying Flipper boats were laid up in composite Divinycell and were both stiff and light. A Flying Flipper with twin outboards is lighter than the Formula 252 SS, got a 28-degree deadrise, and is tough to beat offshore. In race set-up they do 85 mph, and in regular rigging 70-75 mph. There's one for sale in Sweden on Blocket now with twin Mercury Racing 300XS for $10,000 more than the Formula. It will always keep its value and you can have a lot of crew onboard for a social poker run and still run 60-70 mph in average the whole way, and most participants won't be able to keep up if the ocean gets rough.

A Formula 252 SS with 600 hp:

Flying Flipper, below, for sale, Blocket.se: https://www.blocket.se/annons/gotebo...1984/108598571

My ex. Flying Flipper #5 racing in Skagerak Across:

Last edited by larslindroth; 07-28-2023 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tlark (07-27-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
The Formula 252 SS is a sporty family runabout, Mads. If you're after a poker run type of boat you need something a little bit more offshore performance-oriented i.m.h.o. The deadrise on the 252 is 22 degrees which is OK, but with its wide beam in basically only a 24' hull, it's not ideal. The specific boat for sale has a serious motor, and the drive will be good enough most likely to let you see 75 mph. That's fast for this type of boat, and you won't be doing more than 50 mph in a poker run if your crew should feel safe and enjoy themselves. The re-upholstery of the interior is truly subpar, and I see other signs that make me hesitate about the condition of this specific boat for sale. Engine and drive are the expensive parts, but in what condition are they truly? Bottomline for me is; this is not an ideal high-performance boat suited for poker run activities, and due to the high fuel costs now, the difference between the purchase price of say this Formula and a twin-engine, slightly larger real high-performance offshore boat has shrunk dramatically. I used to own a 30' Flying Flipper that was rigged with twin Mercury Racing 300XS outboards. It was later raced a couple of times by the Norwegian I sold it to, 10 years ago, in the Annual Skagerak Across race, and it kicked ass. Those '80s Flying Flipper boats were laid up in composite Divinycell and were both stiff and light. A Flying Flipper with twin outboards is lighter than the Formula 252 SS, got a 28-degree deadrise, and is tough to beat offshore. In race set-up they do 85 mph, and in regular rigging 70-75 mph. There's one for sale in Sweden on Blocket now with twin Mercury Racing 300XS for $10,000 more than the Formula. It will always keep its value and you can have a lot of crew onboard for a social poker run and still run 60-70 mph in average the whole way, and most participants won't be able to keep up if the ocean gets rough.

A Formula 252 SS with 600 hp:

Flying Flipper, below, for sale, Blocket.se: https://www.blocket.se/annons/gotebo...1984/108598571

My ex. Flying Flipper #5 racing in Skagerak Across:

Hi Lars

Thank you for your input; it is much appreciated, just like in my last thread when I was considering buying a Formula 242 LS. However, it was bought by someone else before I had a chance to see it.

I thought that all Formula models in those years, from 24 feet and up, had a 24-degree hull. And I believe you are absolutely right that 600 hp in a 22-degree hull is too much and too unstable to be practical, especially in slightly wavy conditions.

I must admit that I wasn't familiar with the Flying Flipper FF02, which you linked to on Blocket, but it looks awesome, and I really like the style. However, I am quite undecided about whether I should go that route or continue searching for a Formula 242 or ideally a 272 SR1. I've become more intrigued by the idea of having 2 x outboard motors after seeing the Flying Flipper, but I would definitely miss the V8 big block sound.

Do you have any pros/cons between a Flying Flipper and a Formula 272 SR1?

Best regards,
[Your Name]
Old 08-01-2023, 12:01 AM
Registered

The difference between twin outboards and twin V8s, even say small block ones, in fuel and service cost is substantial. Fuel is painful enough in Scandinavia as it is and it will not come down in price. The reliability of outboards when serviced yearly is very good, inboard/outboards, not so much. I've been running outboards on most of my boats, even though I love the sound of a V8 or V12 I leave that for my cars. Even my Larry Smith Team Scarab 31 had outboards since new, now 20-year-old twin outboards, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. The build quality of the boat and the hull design is everything. I like to boat, not calling my marine mechanic to see if he's got time for me to bring the boat in. Trust me Mads, if you can afford the Flying Flipper, buy it, you will thank me later. Have a great Mercury outboard mechanic check the motors and of course check the Flipper for any structural issues, even though I'd be very surprised if you find any. The only thing would most likely be that it hit something in the water, rock, or floating stuff.

Last edited by larslindroth; 08-01-2023 at 01:43 PM.
MadsFromDenmark (08-02-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Buy the Flying Flipper.

If you don’t like the 300xs, I can buy them from you.
larslindroth (08-01-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
The difference between twin outboards and twin V8s, even say small block ones, in fuel and service cost is substantial. Fuel is painful enough in Scandinavia as it is and it will not come down in price. The reliability of outboards when serviced yearly is very good, inboard/outboards, not so much. I've been running outboards on most of my boats, even though I love the sound of a V8 or V12 I leave that for my cars. Even my Larry Smith Team Scarab 31 had outboards since new, now 20-year-old twin outboards, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. The build quality of the boat and the hull design is everything. I like to boat, not calling my marine mechanic to see if he's got time for me to bring the boat in. Trust me Mads, if you can afford the Flying Flipper, buy it, you will thank me later. Have a great Mercury outboard mechanic check the motors and of course check the Flipper for any structural issues, even though I'd be very surprised if you find any. The only thing would most likely be that it hit something in the water, rock, or floating stuff.
Hi Lars,

I actually didn't think the difference in maintenance or fuel consumption would be significant when comparing two outboard engines to a big block, like a 496 HO, but you definitely know more about this than I do. And of course, I'm aware that there's a power difference between a single 496 HO and two 300XS engines.

I've tried reaching out to the guy selling the Flying Flipper, but no luck so far. I'll try again.

Thanks for the help so far.

Best regards

Mads
larslindroth (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Markus
Buy the Flying Flipper.

If you don’t like the 300xs, I can buy them from you.
Hi Markus,

I think i will love them, if i buy them. I have had several motorbikes with 2 stroke engines and loved them. But nice to know you are interested. What boat would You mount them at.

Best regards

Mads
Old 08-02-2023, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

They would be spares for a 28 Skater.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:26 AM
Registered

Gott a well-upgraded/restored Avanti 31 for sale in Norway that looks to be a tremendous value if the 10-year-old motor checks out etc. Half the money of the Flying Flipper and maybe more of a party/poker run boat?

This one won't last long at that price if it is as good as it seems, Mads: https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=298506849

Old 08-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Registered

Mads, found his restoration thread 2011/2012 on a Norwegian boating chat forum. He did a thorough and good resto.

https://baatplassen.no/i/topic/78579...hore-prosjekt/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.