Older Cigarette hull vs newer

Notices

Older Cigarette hull vs newer

Old 09-13-2023, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Older Cigarette hull vs newer

Hello everyone,

Currently located on Lake of the Ozarks and have really become interested in the Cigarette power boats. Found a beautiful 1998 with recently rebuilt motors. Naturally aspirated and carbureted with a lot of horsepower. Priced sub170k. Seems like a LOT of boat for the money and appears to be a great value compared to the newer hulls commanding double the investment and beyond. Question is, what am I giving up going to an older hull? Appreciate any and all advice!
Jerry

Top Answer

10-11-2023, 01:56 PM
ScottyChatham
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have money for a boat like this,,,,why listen to others opinions???
Get what you like and makes you happy!!!! Buying a performance boat as an “investment “ is a terrible idea. LOL
I wanted an “old school “ classic Flatdeck, so that’s what I bought and will sink 100k plus in redoing it, simply because it’s what I always wanted.
kinda like restoring your high school car?
There is no price on happiness!!!!
Old 09-13-2023, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

I'd be sure and have that boat surveyed. Rot would probably be the main potential issue there. At some point nice older or refurbished boats should look good to people when a new performance boat is a bargain at 1/2 million or can be even a million or more in some cases.
The following users liked this post:
frickstyle (10-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You might want to put this in the Cigarette owners forum probably get more action, how far sub 170 sounds high to me, the biggest difference is the bottom in 2000 they started the twin step, in a same power comparison the stepped bottom will be faster than the straight one. More info would help determine pricing.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
hblair (09-13-2023), larslindroth (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default One of a kind and the last of a breed.

I guess you sold your 36 Concept with triple outboards? If I was in the market I'd buy the Bob Saccenti built 2000 Apache 42 Renegade at Performance Boat Center, LOTO. It was the last Apache Bob built on 188th St., Miami. That makes it very special. It's got an Apache 36 deck which gives it more headroom in its full cabin. It's been a freshwater run boat for what I believe its whole life? Having staggered motors is definitely a plus. This boat was originally for sale 18 months ago for $299,000. The motors have only 10 hours since re-fresh, but the question is when that was? If motors check out, well then I find this to be one of the best values on the market right now, and if cared for it will be a classic collectible that will always be desirable.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...he-42-8195313/

Last edited by larslindroth; 09-13-2023 at 07:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by larslindroth:
Helmwurst (09-14-2023), miller high life (10-07-2023), resurrected (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate the advice from everyone that commented.

Interesting about the Apache that was brought up. I saw that boat several months ago but did not realize the history behind it and why Apache owners are so loyal to the brand. It is located at the same dealership as the Cigarette that I am interested in so it will give me an opportunity to see it up close.

Last edited by jerpo1; 09-14-2023 at 09:58 AM.
larslindroth (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

If that is a 2000 year Apache it could have a composite transom. I thought I recall they did some composite boats around that time, but could be wrong. Apaches are built well, but their owners put them thru some rough stuff. The other good thing about Apaches is most of the glass work can be inspected and in some cases even serviceable without having to tear up the cabin and floor.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 09-14-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

Apaches is most of the glass work can be inspected and in some cases even serviceable without having to tear up the cabin and floor.

And why is that? What makes them so easy to work compared to others?

Old 09-15-2023, 04:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
I guess you sold your 36 Concept with triple outboards? If I was in the market I'd buy the Bob Saccenti built 2000 Apache 42 Renegade at Performance Boat Center, LOTO. It was the last Apache Bob built on 188th St., Miami. That makes it very special. It's got an Apache 36 deck which gives it more headroom in its full cabin. It's been a freshwater run boat for what I believe its whole life? Having staggered motors is definitely a plus. This boat was originally for sale 18 months ago for $299,000. The motors have only 10 hours since re-fresh, but the question is when that was? If motors check out, well then I find this to be one of the best values on the market right now, and if cared for it will be a classic collectible that will always be desirable.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...he-42-8195313/

IamIma
I look at this boat weekly and wonder why it hasn't been sold. If I didn't have so much going on at shop I would be all over this. Not a fan of the white drives, tabs and tips. Easy fix.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the reason it hasn’t sold are a few.

Needs to be a mostly cash buyer.

The purchase price is a small amount compared to keeping that power train running for any amount of real run time. Its good for maybe 200-300 hours?

Even though everyone likes to talk about how much of a wave crusher their boat is, most do not like to run in the rough.

It takes a LOT of power to get those to move.

Of course all that said I would love it but not in my income bracket.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think the reason it hasn’t sold are a few.

Needs to be a mostly cash buyer.

The purchase price is a small amount compared to keeping that power train running for any amount of real run time. Its good for maybe 200-300 hours?

Even though everyone likes to talk about how much of a wave crusher their boat is, most do not like to run in the rough.

It takes a LOT of power to get those to move.
Even the most mint Apaches are tough to sell (Spirit of Apache). It is an awesome specimen but alas 24 yrs old, making insurance/financing hard to get and if you do get it it won't be cheap. If it takes a long time to sell now, it will likely take longer next time. The cool factor is there, you won't probably pull into a waterfront bar and see another one............Maybe on a big poker run like Boyne thunder or Key West you might see another one or two.

To me the travesty is when these get gutted for a restoration and never get put back together! Jay13 took a running one apart then crickets, not sure if Razz was ever reassembled, etc.
Wildman_grafix (09-15-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.