Cobalt 343 >

Cobalt 343

Notices

Cobalt 343

Old 09-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
I assume it was us. Still learning the boat and trying to stop comparing to Cigarette i.e. width, weight, etc. etc... Overall a great boat but wish we could work out our gremlins with these 496's.
looking at the 343 as I love the Cobalt build quality
what gremlin type issues are you having with your 496s
how are the oil temps on hot days running hard.
thanks for the info
Teddy
Old 09-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 04 343 with 496s and had oil temps in the 280-300 range routinely. I plumbed an extra 3"x16" oil cooler and attached it on the stringers. Never had another issue with oil temps. I am currently having an issue with my starboard engine oil temp. These are 06 525s. Both engines heat up normally, they go to about 220 then the port engine returns to 190, the starboard goes to 260 and I lower the rpms or stop. We have tried all the usual fixes, back washed the oil cooler, changed the coolers from one engine to the other, checked the gauge, used an infrared temp gun, replaced the thermostat, blah, blah, can't seem to pin point what the issue is yet. Water temps are normal, water pressure is normal, oil pressure is normal. Other than that I love these boats, they are fast, big, heavy, sexy boats. Alot of boat for the money.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedorama
looking at the 343 as I love the Cobalt build quality
what gremlin type issues are you having with your 496s
how are the oil temps on hot days running hard.
thanks for the info
Teddy

We finally changed out both the high and low pressure fuel pumps and all has been great. I have not noticed any high oil temps but I really just run the boat at 3500 - 4000 rpm's. The sticks have seen the dash twice but only for 20 seconds or so.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RebarBox
We finally changed out both the high and low pressure fuel pumps and all has been great. I have not noticed any high oil temps but I really just run the boat at 3500 - 4000 rpm's. The sticks have seen the dash twice but only for 20 seconds or so.
Good to know, thank you.
How do you guys like the overall ride and layout of the 343? I recently sold my Formula 292 fastech with twin 6.2's and it handled fantastic, but took a long time to get on plane at 3500' altitude, the prop change helped considerably.
Any comments of likes and dislikes would be appreciated.

Also I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one if we come to terms but will need a high quality trailer for our long tows to the big lakes, Powell and Havasu.

Any trailer recommends Prefab or Custom?

Best,
Ted
Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I know you seem to be talking to Chad (RebarBox). I'll respond, again, having owned a couple of these boats. The ride is fabulous, these boats, regardless of power, are big, deep, heavy boats and they'll eat up any chop you throw at it. Very responsive in the turns. Regarding the layout, being a center console and having the step up walkways on either side leaves a relatively small space on either side of the center seating for walking and moving around. Plenty of room in the rear, great space on the hatches, swim platform and up on the front deck. Just a little cumbersome right around the center seating. Coming on plane, just drop the trim tabs and power up, it'll break over easily in 4-6 seconds, depending on the load distribution. Run the tabs up and off you go. I have found that I generally run with the port side tab down a little bit for the boat to run level due to the added weight of the macerator and plumbing on the port side.
On both boats I have had, I have used stock aluminum trailers. Both have need some modification the the winch post due to the anchor hanging off the nose. the anchor will not clear a standard winch post. I have had both modified by cutting them down and adding an upside down L and adding a V catch and another post further down the hull. You can see this by looking at any 343 trailer that came from Cobalt. Also needed some bunk adjustments. Difference is 4-5000. I had one quoted from the Cobalt dealer. It was going to be about 11500. You can pick up a nice used aluminum V hull trailer for 6 to 8000. The MOST IMPORTANT thing I can tell you about the trailer is, be sure you get enough tongue weight. This boat is so big and heavy, if you don't get the boat positioned on the trailer right, the boat/trailer will take over and unless you have a Sport Chassis or a Topkick/Kodiak you'll end up heading for the ditch. Right position and tongue weight and you can pull easily with a 1 ton truck even a 3/4 ton. You probably know all that, I learned the hard way!! Hope this helps with the decision, maybe Chad can add to this
Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great insight, Im getting quotes on some trailers now and shipping back to Utah. I'm a little concerned about the resale ability as i tend to change often. I do sell Porsches for a living so I like the high quality of Cobalts as I have had 3 of them in the past for years and have sold them all within 1 week of listing them. I need to make sure I buy it right, so I can sell it fairly easily if it comes a trailering nightmare, 350 miles each way to Powell and 600 each way to Havasu.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

FWIW, the Fastech is 8'3" wide. 343 is 9'8" wide. Seems like it'd be a royal PITA to regularly tow 350x2 or worse, 600x2. I'm sure you know the beams but put me down for thinking the wider Cobalt would grow tiresome in a hurry. I tow an 8' wide Cigarette about 2800 miles a year. Would not want to think about it with a 10' wide boat.

Last edited by Ghost24; 09-28-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Registered

Hello everyone, if anyone is aware of anything out there I am looking for a 343 with 496 HOs. Ideal boat would be freshwater, under 250 hours, no speedtop as it won't fit in my dry dock, generator, lighting, big stereos, and the center v berth cushion are all a plus. Thank you everyone.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Registered

When y'all get a chance could someone give me an idea if this boat will fit inside a 40' garage with trailer of course.

Id also like to know if this boat is a decent choice for staying in the cabin for a couple of days? I'm thinking Powell, Lake of the Ozarks. I also like to trailer quite a bit. I know the boat is wide and can require a permit in some states. Also in the mix are Formula Fastecs, Donzi, and Fountains. I don't need the boat to be a rocket but I'd like twin big blocks 496 HOs or 525s. If y'all think small blocks would work please explain. Thanks much for any feedback.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XX14
When y'all get a chance could someone give me an idea if this boat will fit inside a 40' garage with trailer of course.

Id also like to know if this boat is a decent choice for staying in the cabin for a couple of days? I'm thinking Powell, Lake of the Ozarks. I also like to trailer quite a bit. I know the boat is wide and can require a permit in some states. Also in the mix are Formula Fastecs, Donzi, and Fountains. I don't need the boat to be a rocket but I'd like twin big blocks 496 HOs or 525s. If y'all think small blocks would work please explain. Thanks much for any feedback.
I'd say 40' would be the bare minimum. Depends on how the trailer is set up & how long of a tongue is on it. A 343 is 37'2" with platform.

Very few (if any) offerings for a boat of this size with small blocks.

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 10-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Cobalt 343

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.