Are all storage areas wet? >

Are all storage areas wet?

Notices

Are all storage areas wet?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all storage areas wet?

I have a 25' Concept and I love the boat, I would actually like to go bigger; maybe a 32 or 36.
My only beef is that every compartment is wet (except under the console). The two stern side compartments, and both in-sole compartments are damp and everything stored in them gets mildew. Before I invest in big $$ for another Concept I wanted to see if this is a common problem or do i just need to replace the weather strip. My gaskets all look good and the latches are properly adjusted.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Default Compartments

My 36' compartments are all wet. The seals don't do much at all. All the compartments have plugs but a little water will always be left in them. If you want it dry you have to put it in the cabin. Inside the helm will also get some water in it as well. I usually scrub my compartments out every few times out or they will get stinky.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...

My detail guy is going to try to use some mildew preventer to see if that helps. I gave up keeping stuff in there- those floaty noodle things, footballs, blow up raft things, etc- got tired of cleaning them more than using them. I have a 32 and toss every thing in the "cabin" now. If I need cabin space I'll toss stuff in the floor for the day.

My next option:

http://www.nauticaldesigns.us/nautical_guard/

ALL floor compartments leak...
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My Fountain 38TE is the same way...most all center consoles are like this. The seal to my bildge is really good though but the fish boxes and livewell all get wet and dirty.

One this that I wish I could figure out is when I had a 36 Concept my cabin got mildew real bad. My Fountain cabin is clean and damp free.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

Default Mike

My 36' will do the same thing if I don't leave the hatch down w/ the cabin doors open under the cover.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

West Marine has these..I guess you call them dehumidifiers....they have so sort of little pellets in a box that absorbs mositure. I went through about 2 of those a week in my Concept to keep the mildew out.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There is a company called damprid that have dehumidifier bags. You get them at home depot or any hard ware stores. I use there bigger buckets in a big sea ray I have too. The bags are quick and easy. Little expense to prevent the interior from getting crappy. Use them in all of the boats I have and over winter time too. Have no issues with mildew on any interior. I always keep my cabin doors open too. My 36 I have under a full cover but I always make sure to wipe out and open the compartments and let them be in the hot sun for a couple of hours before covering the boat. The damprid bags to have a nice fresh sent too. My 36 is an 09 but I do have 2 coats of mold release wax on the floor even though my floor is treated. I also did treat it with Woody Spray wax too thanks to FeverMike for telling me about it. Super easy to use. Obviously I am extremely particular and I like to keep my stuff very nice especially when I am planning on keeping the boats for a long time. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll just keep cleaning.

I do like MM solution, that cover would be cool!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the console cover and the full cover. I've been putting the full cover on lately to try to keep the boat nice.

I sprayed the cover with 303 fabric protectant today- it's 2 years old and has lost some of its water shedding ability. See how well it works and let you know.

Since CC's don't have a top deck; covers like to form a "W" when it rains hard and fast. Put bumpers (I use 27 x 8.5 G5's) on the front cushions vertical. It will help shed water on fast downpours preventing a "W" from forming.

Put a a towel on the top of your bolsters and top of the back seat "head rests". If not, the wind will blow the cover enough to cause friction burns on the upholstery- esp if you have carbon fiber look upholstery. If storage for a long time use some thing other than a towel so it won't absorb moisture and then meldew but don't use plastic since the cover gets really hot if in the sun.

Put a towel under the support pole- gives it some freedom vs sliding on the hard deck which leads to collapse if some winds come.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Marylandmark 303 works well and so does Aquatight. I wash my cover once a season too at a laundry mat. Use some dawn and wash it on cold and then i wash it again just with cold water and no soap. I then line dry it and spray it with aqua tight. Keeps the covers looking brand new. Send me your email address and I will send you some pics of my custom full cover to the chine etc. I can't seem to post pics on the forms.