Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Concept
Interested in a used Concept 30 CC and would like input from owners please. >

Interested in a used Concept 30 CC and would like input from owners please.

Notices

Interested in a used Concept 30 CC and would like input from owners please.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Interested in a used Concept 30 CC and would like input from owners please.

I’m selling my 24 Pantera and seriously considering going to a performance CC (especially since I prefer OB’s). I’ve searched the Concept threads and now have more questions than were answered. The Concept 30 may fit the bill but I have a couple unanswered questions. I also understand that the actual 30 running surface is 28'.

I’m looking at 2005 thru 2010 Concept 30 CC with the performance helm bolster layout and aft bench seat. (I don’t care about fishing and don’t need the fishing rigging options) powered by twin 250’s to 300’s. Given the right deal, I’m OK with Optis or Verados.

I’ve read many threads and see some complaints of porpoising and/or chine walking. I’m very familiar with both conditions. I’ve also read about guys experimenting with different props. I run exclusively on inland lakes, the St Lawrence Seaway and Lake St Clair.

I’d like the straight scoop from OSO members that have actually OWNED and RUN a 30 CC. If you have never OWNED, please don’t bother hijacking the thread (Thank you).

What’s your general opinion on Concept quality and the running characteristics?

I would think Concept has the best knowledge base of prop selection and they rig their boats with the best all around props but why do I read about owners messing with other props?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ing; 08-11-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 04' 30 with 225 Opti's. You probably have seen my posts on here from when I was looking to buy and others since. Myself and my family love our boat. It does everything we need. I feel the build quality is high and love the fact that its completely wood free. Having said that, have I thought to myself on several occasions...wish I had a 36, absolutely! Or have I said...I wish I had larger motors....yup.

On to your questions. As far as handling. I would say it is an excellent handling hull. It tracks straight never does anything unexpected and handles the water very well for a 28 foot boat. Chine walk, No i've never had that happen at all. Will the boat roll from crossing waves...yes. Will the boat list some with crossing wind or uneven load balance, yes. But all boats do that. Maybe this boat is slightly more susceptible to it because of the 96" beam. All easily solved with the trim tabs.

Porpoise...sorta different story. I would not call it porpoise per say, as I feel that is an uncontrollable trait of a bad hull. The boat is only 28 foot long with two large outboards on a bracket. That is a lot of leverage. So I feel the boat very easily carries the bow high and is easier to over trim than other boats Ive owned. The only time the boat will bounce is if you put the tabs all the way up and start trimming the motor to gain speed. While trimming the motors the boat will reach a point (like all boats) where more positive trim is not beneficial. On my boat the effect of to much positive trim is a bounce. If or when that starts I simply trim in some and it goes away.

Props, I have only tried one other pair thinking maybe my 22" Bravo 1's were causing to much bow lift. I tried a friends 21" Mirage plus's. They were even worse. With those props The motors constantly slipped at cruise speed when hitting waves. After having all the blow out with the borrowed props I decided to try and lower the motors one hole on the transom. That has helped with the bounce some, but you can still over trim. Another reason for trying different props in my case would be because with my current props I can pretty much hit the rev limiter anytime I want. I would love to try a set of labbed 24" bravo 1's. That might get me a couple MPH and also raise my cruise some. Im just not willing to spend the money.

In the end as I mentioned, we love the boat because of its ability to do just about everything well. It has been very reliable and handles well. Not to mention all the attention it gets. We cant go anywhere without someone commenting or asking questions.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Ing
Registered

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and straight scoop. Very helpful!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 30 for 2 yrs and sold it to Low psi, I can second everything jadento said, it's a fun boat and a good size for messing around and watersports.

I can tell you it does not like to go slow, The area I boat in is pretty rough seas and I could not push the concept bow down to run in a head sea, the boat is just too light and runs on top so it tended to pound. If you run in inland waters or a lake it will be fine. The porposing can be annoying but manageable, the faster you run the better it handles, very predictable hull IMO. I think they are above average build quality and look great.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Hey Pete good to see you pop in here even though you have moved on to another brand. I will have to contradict you a little. Not on your "It likes to go fast" comment. Because that is true. I have found many times if its not handling the water the way you want(i.e. falling in holes instead of skipping over them)...go a little faster and it will be better. But sometimes that does also cause the occasional jump then bang when you come across a wave that is bigger than that average.

Its the "not being able to tuck the bow" comment...Im not so sure I agree. My boating is mainly in the Middle Chesapeake and it sees fairly rough conditions quite often and with the tabs down the boat cuts thru the waves pretty darn good. Yes there are certain sea conditions that still cause the boat to bang but all boats have that. I was on a run a few weeks ago and I was cruising with a 35 (36 whatever it is) Marlago (twin 250's). Suffice to say its a bigger boat then my 30 by quite a bit. Coming out the river I was cruising about 40 mph and was slowly creeping away from him (at his cruise speed). By the time we got to the bay I was probably 1/2 a mile ahead. The bay was pretty rough so the motor and trims settings I had set for optimal cruise in the river quickly became apparent they were not going to work in the bay conditions. I would up basically completely tucked motors and tabs which slowed me down a few mph at the same RPM as I was cruising in the river. The tabs were throwing a 3-4 foot high rooter tail behind the boat and the bow of the boat was skimming a couple waves and then busting one. Skimming then busting at about 36 MPH. I was very happy with the its ability to go right on thru. We got to our destination and my buddy on the Marlago says "It thought for sure I would catch you in the bay with it that rough". Am I saying it handles better then the Marlago...certainty not. Just that it tucked in and cut thru as good or better than any other 28ish boat I have been on.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

just my experience, I loved the boat and it was a blast. Maybe the other guy was just out for a cruise? lol

keep in mind where I boat, 20 miles across the bay, Atlantic is to the east 2 miles, wide open to the west, freighters, pilot boats and the entire Chesapeake Bay empties out here so it gets rough! I wish I had rivers to run in or protected waterways.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my 30 out in Lake Erie in solid 4-5' waves with occasional swells larger. That isn't much fun in most boats... The Concept handle itself well. Buy using the tabs I was able to keep the bow down. I have it dialed in to where it will run as slow as 33MPH with out bouncing at all. Probably can run it a bit slower if I tuck the motors and drop tabs. But with motors trimmed up a little and no tab, I am able to run under 35 without porpoise. If I start trying to trim it out is when it likes to bounce. My motors are mounted all the way up, so it doesn't need a lot of trim. We like to run slower, but at speeds of 35 I don't think the hull is as efficient as it can be. Running around 4000 rpm (about 47-48mph) with Opti 225s is where the boat really likes to be. I will say this, by spinning the props in I was able to run even slower without porpoise, and it was a few MPH faster on top end. However my fuel efficiency seemed to go away. So I have since gone back to spinning the props out.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Hi lng,
I had a new 30 built last summer. She has twin 250 optis. I've got about 200 hours on her, mainly in the Florida Keys and Bahamas. Been in all sorts of water, from flat to 4-6's. Ours has a cuddy with a flush head, holding tank, L seating up front, 20 gallon fresh water holding tank, transom shower and radar arch and bottom paint (It stays in the water). She runs 65 when light on fuel with 24P Rev 4's. I'm 60 years old and have owned quite a few boats from Donzis to Black Thunders, Baja, Chris Craft, Whaler, etc. and a few Hydroplanes. My other current boat is a 60' SeaRay SS. Every boat has its' qualities and "wish fors" I've found the Concept to meet everything I could expect from a 30 foot boat (28' hull length excluding bracket) under 5000 pounds and an 8' foot beam. With that understood, she's an excellent performer in every regard. Whether beam seas, head seas, or following seas, I always feel safe and have no qualms about a direct run to Nassau on the spur of the moment. She's built rock solid and I would put her up against anyone's construction and finish quality. Then add in very fair pricing and a company owner that is as fine a gentleman as you'll ever meet, and you have something you'll be happy with for years to come. Whatever brand you buy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed our Concept.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Ing
Registered

Great info guys! Thanks for the insight. Going to be easier to make an informed decision once I sell my Pantera. Any thoughts on Optis vs Verado, strictly from the handling/performance aspect? Two Verados are adding about 300lbs to the stern.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Hi lng,
I had a new 30 built last summer. She has twin 250 optis. I've got about 200 hours on her, mainly in the Florida Keys and Bahamas. Been in all sorts of water, from flat to 4-6's. Ours has a cuddy with a flush head, holding tank, L seating up front, 20 gallon fresh water holding tank, transom shower and radar arch and bottom paint (It stays in the water). She runs 65 when light on fuel with 24P Rev 4's. I'm 60 years old and have owned quite a few boats from Donzis to Black Thunders, Baja, Chris Craft, Whaler, etc. and a few Hydroplanes. My other current boat is a 60' SeaRay SS. Every boat has its' qualities and "wish fors" I've found the Concept to meet everything I could expect from a 30 foot boat (28' hull length excluding bracket) under 5000 pounds and an 8' foot beam. With that understood, she's an excellent performer in every regard. Whether beam seas, head seas, or following seas, I always feel safe and have no qualms about a direct run to Nassau on the spur of the moment. She's built rock solid and I would put her up against anyone's construction and finish quality. Then add in very fair pricing and a company owner that is as fine a gentleman as you'll ever meet, and you have something you'll be happy with for years to come. Whatever brand you buy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed our Concept.

You are now one of my Heroes! That is the life I want to be living!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.