Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block? >

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Notices

How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Ok, I have and existing vintage switch panel and a terminal block, but I can't figure out what wires go where on the terminal strip. lots of pic's to help the electrically inclined guys hook me up.
Attached Thumbnails How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-006.jpg   How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-022.jpg   How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-027.jpg  

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 12-03-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

And another pic of a better switch detail and one of my K-tab pumps/trim pumps a yr.'04 I'll take any help I can get guys so don't be shy.
Attached Thumbnails How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-016.jpg   How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-026.jpg  

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 12-03-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This would take me two seconds to do in real life. I will do my best to explain on the board. We however need more info. Do you have a picture of the back of the switch?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok here goes making one assumption. Switch 3 and 4 have to be double pole, double throw.

So, on the drives side switch 1 is port, switch two is starboard, and switch 3 combines. Basically since you have three wire sets, the units use 12v from the main pump solonoid to power the switches.

So, port unit has 3 wires, blue goes to switch 1 bottom position, green goes to switch 1 top position. *see note Then, the odd wire, looks like red or purple from the pics, goes to the center terminal on the switch. Do the same for switch 2.

Switch 3 should have 6 terminals in the back, two sets of 3. All the wires from switch one get jumped to the exact same location on one side of switch 3, and then all the wires from switch 2 get jumped to the other side of switch 3. So switch 3 is essential the same as holding both one and two up.

Follow the same idea for the tabs. Draw it out, and use the terminal blocks the best. If you want a diagram including the wiring to the terminal blocks, let me know.

*note.. the terminals on the back of the switch are opposites to the action the switch does. So up to trim up engages the bottom terminal of the switch.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
This would take me two seconds to do in real life. I will do my best to explain on the board. We however need more info. Do you have a picture of the back of the switch?
Here is a pic of the back of the switches you wanted to see
Attached Thumbnails How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?-picture-032.jpg  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My assumption is correct (it pretty much had to be).

You can see how they are jumped from one side of switch 3 to switch 2, and the other to switch 1.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Joe has it. I wanted to make sure that you did not have diods back there (you do not). Next thing to do is get a multi meter and start tracing out your wires. If you need us to do it wire by wire we can do that for ya.

Jon
Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

he could just see if the wires on the pumps have numbers too.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

The wires on the pumps have no numbers just color, The pumps and harnesses are new, switch panel is 1970's. I have a total of 12 wires from the new pumps 4 green 4 blue 2 red and 2 purple. vs. the 70's term block has 15 wires "out" on the "pump side" How? Are wires jumped on the pump side of the terminal block? I have a second 70's era rocker switch panel and its terminal block is wired exactly the same, but I have to figure out how to connect up my new trim and tab pumps to it with only 12 wires.The purple wire might be a electric indicator, I have mech.so I can't figure out where the Purple wire go's or if I even need it, or could use as red?

You guys are doing great so far, please keep helping, sorry I don't get it yet.

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 12-04-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Yes they will jump wires. You can see on the old unit that they did that.

Maybe a little info to help. Green is trim down. Blue is trim up on the trim pumps.

For example you will have three wires from each trim pump. Those three wires are going to go to 5 or 6 locations. They will go to the trim up and down for the single switch (the one with only three wires) and they will go to the up and down for the switch that moves both drives together (the one with 6 wires hooked up to it). Now for the fun part. Were is the jumper happening. It apears that it happens at the switch best I can tell.

We need to know how many wires come down the harness from the switch. I am hoping 12 (three for each pump motor)

Quick Reply: How do I wire trim/tab pumps to term block?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.