water in oil.. (milkshake) >

water in oil.. (milkshake)

Notices

water in oil.. (milkshake)

Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in oil.. (milkshake)

So i heard about this great forum and thought id check it out.. I just bought an 1985 28' baja with twin 454's which have been built up with a dart high rise intake, holley carb, roller rockers, and a perfomance cam (I THINK.. Not sure about the cam) The oil was changed just before i bought it.. I had it out on the lake for probably a total of 4-5 hours of running time and pulled the oil dipstick in both motors and have found water in the oil, and on the oil cap for the motor a buildup of white material (water?) heres what i think the problem is..

WATER REVERSION... if those are preformance cams.. the guy i bought the boat off of had headers but couldnt fit them on the boat so just hooked up the stock manifolds/risers.. I was thinking about going with eddie marine manifolds/risers.. for a total of about 3400$ for both engines.. i just wanted to make sure this was the problem before i started throwing money out.. any other ideas to stop this? what about just putting different risers on my current stock manifolds? throw some ideas out there and also include any other places i should check for possible water seepage into the engine.. thanks for your help
Old 05-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Registered

could be moisture from not letting the engine oil warm up
but it may be a head gasket

Last edited by johnb.gomes; 05-15-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

I had a pair of exhaust tips fail on me and got water in the motor. Didn't realize it till I dropped a valve though.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may well be a reversion issue if the cam is especially "hot". However, I'd be more inclined to look at the intake manifold. Water intrusion is common at the intake-to-head joints. It's fairly easy to lift the intake and reseal it. It should be obvious once you remove it if it was the leak source. Pay special attention to the corners.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 85Baja
I just bought an 1985 28' baja with twin 454's which have been built up with a dart high rise intake, holley carb, roller rockers, and a perfomance cam (I THINK.. Not sure about the cam) The oil was changed just before i bought it.. I had it out on the lake for probably a total of 4-5 hours of running time and pulled the oil dipstick in both motors and have found water in the oil, and on the oil cap for the motor a buildup of white material (water?) heres what i think the problem is..
COngratulations on your buy do you have any pics? - I have a '89 Checkmate (last Sept) I'm fitting with twin 454 blocks as well.
The water in the oil is a nasty situation, and I agree is most likely caused by reversion as you suspect. Here's what I would do:
1. Try to find out cam specs so you know what you're up against-some cams don't like wet exhaust period. You may need to change cams to save the engines, but hopefully they're marine with a decent LSA.
2. Check each spark plug for wet/foul condition to eliminate head gasket failure as a possibility. Any idea of water pressure? If it's high this needs attention too and may be cause of head gasket failure.
3. Does the existing setup include thru prop, silent choice or are you straight thru transom exhaust design? What are your goals here?

Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails water in oil.. (milkshake)-checkmate.jpg  
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

how much water are we talking about ? was the oil/water level WAY above full ? a pic of your dipstick would help. If your oil looks like a vanilla milkshake and you have run the engines for even a short period time the bearings are hosed and the motors will have to come apart at least to clean out all the goo make sure you dont have any cracks that are letting the water in the oil. this is your worst case scenario
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rumblfish1966
how much water are we talking about ? was the oil/water level WAY above full ? a pic of your dipstick would help. If your oil looks like a vanilla milkshake and you have run the engines for even a short period time the bearings are hosed and the motors will have to come apart at least to clean out all the goo make sure you dont have any cracks that are letting the water in the oil. this is your worst case scenario
Rumbfish - this thread was moved to General Q&A
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=186708