Notices

starting procedure

Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting procedure

Hi guys

yup i'm a newbie!

ok so i bought a crownline this week, got my ICC licence (europe) and am ready to go, just giving the boat a good clean and went to start the engine and realised i've driven it with the previous owner dozens of times but i've never started it, soo if someone would be kind enough to elighten someone feeling like an idiot not knowing how to properly start up his boat hehe

i know i need to put the blowe on for 4 mins first, what i'm mainly stuck on is the throttle and having it in and out of gear, i'm starting it up on the trailer with ear muffs on. Do i need to pump it first a couple of times and then put it back to neutral to start it?

to rev it does the clutch button on the throttle control put it into gear when i move the control forward or put it out of gear?

thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you post more info on the boat, such as engine(s), etc, we could give you better info.

Blower is an absolute must. I also won't start an engine that is cold or hasn't been run in more than 15 minutes without opening the hatch. You also need to make sure your kill-switch lanyard is attached and that you're wearing a vest if you're on plane.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Hi Chris,

sure, it's a crownline 205 br with a 4.3 merc efi 210hp, small i know next to some of the engines i've seen on this forum!

during my course the guy covered everything except the throttle control, we did the course on a rib with an outboard, during the startup he commented about my throttle control having a clutch and his not (with the rib we turned the ignition key with the throttle control in neutral and that was it), what i'm aiming at is that my button on the throttle control is presumably the clutch? do i depress that and use throttle control to rev a bit when starting?

thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your control doesn't really have a clutch so to speak, it has a device that allows you to open the throttle without engaging the drive. Single-lever controls engage forward or reverse when moved forward or backward, at the same time, feeding in more throttle the further you push the lever. If you grab the lever at its base (pivot point) and pull it outward away from the contol box, then move the lever forward, you'll have throttle without drive engagement. Move it back to neutral and it will automatically go back into drive mode.

The button on the top of the grip handle prevents the throttle from being bumped open inadvertently.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Registered

thanks chris,

ok i'm getting it now, although my lever doesn't pull out, it has a button in the center of the base of the lever that is it's lock preventing it from being bumped forward by accident.

so i would assume that button on the top of the lever is to throttle it out of gear?

thanks chris
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Registered

leoo24 the button in the center of the throttle pivot is for warm up, hold the button in while in neutral advancing the throttle will rev the engine without engaging the propeller. It your boat is e. f. i. you don't need this to start the engine. just leave it in neutral. do not rev the engine to a high rate on the muffs as you may not be supplying enough water to satisfy cooling system requirments
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

thanks donmac
Old 08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered

i'm going to be taking it for a service and fireup seeing as it's been sat idle for 10 months, but i thought i would see if it cranked at all.

recharged the battery, cleaned the contacts etc, added some fresh fuel, but it would'nt crank, well it did a little once, but it just made a wurring sound? is that normal?

i recorded it on my mobile and uploaded it to my site, it's a .3gp file, which i'm not really familiar with but plays fine in quicktime

whatcounter.com/leo/10-08-08_1351.3gp

thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

check oil, crack beer,cross fingers, turn key, break something, crack more beers
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by leoo24
thanks chris,

ok i'm getting it now, although my lever doesn't pull out, it has a button in the center of the base of the lever that is it's lock preventing it from being bumped forward by accident.

so i would assume that button on the top of the lever is to throttle it out of gear?

thanks chris
like they said if its EFI, stay in up right, if carb push button in, and pump once turn key and after its running push forward so rpms are at 1000 to 1400 to warm up for a minute then back to straight up, you should not shift if you are above 900rpms 750 is good so when in gear 600 to 650rpms.
The button on top sounds like your drive trim, when you go out to the water press the switch back to you that will lower the drive, once you are on plane you can push the button forward to trim up a little 2 seconds at a time the bow should ride up a little if its up to much pull back on switch a few bumps. keep us informed on your sea trials so we may help you. good luck ,godspeed artie

Quick Reply: starting procedure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.