Notices

Stringer delamination?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
It wasnt cheap ...seems was about 180.00/sheet (4x8) ...We used 3 layers of 1.5" for the center Stringer and the Bulkhead ...1" for the outside stringers ... Its done though now and is lighter wont rot .....I dont think it really added to the value of the boat but I do think it will help sell it ....m
I figured since he was not planning on keeping it too much longer to make it cheaper, if done right and sealed well the wood would be fine, keeping cost down.

I had mine done last winter, transom, all 3 stringers and bulkhead for 4100.00 that included paint, and marine plywood for transom, my stringers are made from 2x12's I like that since it is one piece of wood, not sandwiched wood
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and pictures. I still have one guy asking questions and thinking about buying it. When he goes away you guys are getting me jazzed to take it apart. Problem is if I take it apart it will snowball. If the engines come out then they have to come apart and will need forged internals a stroker crank aluminum heads ect ect ect. All the new glass and engine compartment will have to be sanded smooth and gelcoated. It may never see water again and like anyone else who has done this kind of thing I'll have way more money in it than it's worth.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sunshadow
Thanks for all the advice and pictures. I still have one guy asking questions and thinking about buying it. When he goes away you guys are getting me jazzed to take it apart. Problem is if I take it apart it will snowball. If the engines come out then they have to come apart and will need forged internals a stroker crank aluminum heads ect ect ect. All the new glass and engine compartment will have to be sanded smooth and gelcoated. It may never see water again and like anyone else who has done this kind of thing I'll have way more money in it than it's worth.
It does not have to snowball.... do the engines another time, they are easy to take in and out, unless yours are not good now, if they run keep running them, it is worth the work, I love showing off what my boat was and is now.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
my stringers are made from 2x12's I like that since it is one piece of wood, not sandwiched wood
That is ABSOLUTELY the WRONG way to do it, laminated plywood is much stronger than a single piece of wood, a single piece will splinter whereas the grain in plywood is staggered on each ply, much stonger.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
That is ABSOLUTELY the WRONG way to do it, laminated plywood is much stronger than a single piece of wood, a single piece will splinter whereas the grain in plywood is staggered on each ply, much stonger.
It has been that way for 22 yrs with no issues, I had the boat redone the way it came when built, barely wet when removed but I figured redo it while I had it apart.

It did not ROT like the plywood in the rest of the boat, what is stronger then?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

he is right the plywood is glassed together which done right is better, my 88 stringers look like plywood, put I could be wrong I need the bulkhead in front of the motor replaced stringers look go so far and the floor might need some work mine is going in as soon as I am recoved from my knee replacement this spring I have a new 572 bower motor going in so the bulkhead has to be moved or mod wear the belt drive is and I want to add a bulkhead going into the cabin it has plexiglass on each side now plus a ring bulkhead in the cabin we have reinforce the deck already a few yrs back I want this to last another 20 years the past 20 it went from a 60mph boat to a 83mph boat its faster but ran out of prop at 6000rpm. the new motor should get me over 100mph. artie
Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Airtime did you already add a ring bulkhead in the cabin or you are going to? I thought about adding one to my boat, it has a large deck that can flex in the rough, I want to try and strengthen it up.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Not Right
Airtime did you already add a ring bulkhead in the cabin or you are going to? I thought about adding one to my boat, it has a large deck that can flex in the rough, I want to try and strengthen it up.
going to add one I think if you wrap it up the ends with a layer of carbin fiber it will stiffen it up more Iam putting a full one at base of the cabin and full where the motor is so ANEW BACK SEAT WILL BE NEEDED TOO.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Art you are going to open up a can of worms bro. Unless you get SUPER lucky the gas tank will be back against the bulkhead. So the tank will have to be removed. Then the stringers in the engine bay may need to be replaced so that they can go farther forward to the new bulkhead. I doubt that they should be extended.... Seat moving forward is probably not a big deal at all. Then the engine hatch will need to be extended and reglassed..... Sounds like my POS boat
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

I have to notch the bulkhead cause the blower motor won't fit, and the old seat was roughed on the back side, so yeah its going to be a pain but not as much as my legI need a bottle of jack and a bigger chop saw to just cut that phucken leg off so I can move on. still can't drive jon. well I'll call yah to night buddy. artimus is leaving the building.

Quick Reply: Stringer delamination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.