Notices

Alpha 1 Impellers/Gimbles

Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 1 Impellers/Gimbles

Great Forum - First V8 Boat 87 Nova III w/twin 260's and Alpha 1's

What's a fair price to have the Gimbles replaced?

What's a fair price to have the impellers replaced?

I'm going to try a thermostat first but the starboard engine keeps overheating when idleing or at full speed. Cruising speed it stays around 170?

Thanks,

Don
Old 06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much water is coming out the exhaust when running on the hose? Should be spraying out both sides of the transom ports. After I replaced both impellers and t-stats, both of mine spray water several feet out each side.
Replacing the impellers and t-stats is really an easy job; takes about an hour after the drive oil is drained. I'm guessing $350-400 for just the two impellers/pump housings. Maybe another $150 for the two t-stats. Changing the t-stats took about 15min each.
My gauges now show just under 160 at idle on the hose, lower when running at the lake; and the risers stay warm, not hot, while running on the hose. Before changing the t-stats they were getting hot on the hose.

When you say gimbals, do you mean gimbal bearings, or the complete gimbal assemblies?

Last edited by jtmarten; 06-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the bellows on an alpha are kind of a pain, but there is no reason you cant do the impellor yourself, save yourself the headache and replace the entire pump, not just the impellor. use the good merc bellows..the cheap kits on ebay are junk..learned that one the hard way..

my advice if you are going that far into it, do the shift cables, gimble bearings, drive, exhaust and shift bellows and water hose all at once. it may cost a little more, but peice of mind is priceless.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

if it's slop in the gimbles that your taking about, you really need to get it apart to find out how bad it really is, somethimes it just needs to be tghtend up, sometimes stuff is waster and you need a new gimble ring and kingpin...still not that bad price wise if you are doing the work yourself. if you don't already have a tie bar, get one.