Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Anyone know max slope for driveway with boat? >

Anyone know max slope for driveway with boat?

Notices

Anyone know max slope for driveway with boat?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone know max slope for driveway with boat?

I am about to build a shop on some property I just purchased next door to me. I have a 31 Sonic SS and am trying to figure out what the max slope can be on me driveway so I don't bottom out. We are going to have to grade and lower the property and just trying to decide how much I need to lower. I saw that most boat ramps need to be 40ft long according to guidelines so I am making mine 70 since my boat with trailer is a little over 60ft. Can anyone help me out with some pointers?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

That will vary depending on the trailer.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet You Wish You Paid Attention In Trig Class Now!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did alot of research last night and found that boat ramps buld on a 12%-15% grade. The only way I thought I could phsically get a count would be to wedge a peice of wood under the backtire and raise it up the the rear of the trailer. That would give me a slope for the rear of the trailer but then I have to worry about the front of the trailer bottoming out at some point while backing up. Havent determined how to calculate that part yet. Might be time to draw me a scale model up and back (push with finger) my scaled boat and trailer up the scale....Where is a math formula when I need one!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little confused by your question. Are you building a boat ramp or a driveway? Personally I wouldn't want a driveway with the extreme slope of a boat ramp. Perhaps if your lot is too high to excavate the entire lot you could excavate just the driveway area and the shop area for a grade of 1/2" per foot for rain run off for the drive and level for the shop area? I can't imagine having a driveway as steep as a boat ramp to back my boat up. How would you keep it from rolling down the ramp? No emergency brakes on a trailer. Also rendering your 60+ ft. driveway useless. I don't think the tongue jack would work on that slope either. Just my 2cts worth.