Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Anyone converted to a closed loop cooling system? >

Anyone converted to a closed loop cooling system?

Notices

Anyone converted to a closed loop cooling system?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool
We design and build closed water cooling systems and would be willing to help with a complete system or simply advice. You can call us at 866-726-COOL. We're an advertiser as well on OSO. But the bottom line is that if you are going to spend a ton rebuilding your engines, it just doesn't make sense not to install the FWC system. All the flexibility the guys talk about above...it's all possible. Gather the information about your engines and call Jim or myself. We'd be happy to help!

Mr. Cool
www.mrcool.us
I see you guys are local, we are doing a 525 efi upgrade to a whipple charged 509 setup, what would you recomend in regards to upgrading the stock coolers ?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give me your total HP expectations when done (ballpark) because I have to work backwards from that heat amount to determine the cooler size. Also confirm 1/2 system (nearly certain of that). Also let me know what the size of your current cooler is for the 525 as is and the current hp. Your stock cooler should be a 849952. Just get me the diameter and overall length if you can't confirm part number. Confirm water flow gpm and, if changed from stock, the current fluid flow (gmp) of the oil circuit. if you want, call me tomorrow after 4pm. We're at the Miami boat show and reception is not so good.

We have a standard 525 kit but you're tricking it out and need more cooling capacity. Since you're close and I wouldn't mind seeing your boat I'll probably shoot down to check it out. Lake Erie still got ice? :-). For all not in MI, we got 8 inches of snow yesterday hehe. Now you know why we're so darn cool.

You can email to at [email protected] or leave the information here and I'll get it.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Cool talk to us about adding a system to a "old" motor? What are the issues that can come up and what are the ways to remedy these things?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Mr. Cool talk to us about adding a system to a "old" motor? What are the issues that can come up and what are the ways to remedy these things?
This is based on a single cooler, not a tandem cooler setup.

As a start: remember that you may already have thin walls on your block to start off with depending upon the number of years you've been mistreating your 500hp metal mistress by raw water cooling her -- and you may have bigger fish to fry. So you should check that first. Then you have to be concerned with knowing what your fluid flows are coming from your water and oil pump. You have wear and corrosion issues to consider. The coolers are designed to transfer heat with a certain amount of fluid flow through both circuits. So if you have corrosion decreasing the oil and water output because of wear and possibly corrosion in the water circuit itself, you'll have trouble with your heat transfer because of reduction in flow. Wear is wear. The corrosion is, of course, time and use dependent and is a saltwater thing. Not a lot of corrosion in the great lakes.

Cooling is physics. So GIGO. The greatest cooler design receiving incorrect fluid flow inputs provides poor cooling on the output. So...my first suggestion: Define what your real inputs are (fluid flows and engine condition) to determine the scope of your project. Are you adding a cooler, or a water pump, oil pump and kit, -- do you need a block? Should you punt and call Eddie from Young Performance? :-).

If you really want to do it right, the fluid flows are a critical input to the cooler design. Doubling your water flow can sometimes double the cooling just because you've finally gotten past the knee of the cooling coefficient's curve (reynolds # for the engineers out there). Flow is critical.

I just read all of that. I don't know if I went too far with the information provided. I'll enhance some of the other pitfalls tomorrow if you like. I want to see if others have input to this thread and see if I've said something that has a hole in it. There's a ton of knowledge on this board and I respect it.

What all of this says is Step 1: Define your current fluid flows.

I considered starting an engine cooling thread for general questions like this. If the questions keep coming and it seems like it's useful to do so, I'd be happy to field those questions as with this one.

Last edited by Mr. Cool; 02-12-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: details, details...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by laszlo01
I see you guys are local, we are doing a 525 efi upgrade to a whipple charged 509 setup, what would you recomend in regards to upgrading the stock coolers ?
I was with Keith Eickert (the man, not the company) Thursday and he had this exact setup (and it looked so sweet). So I have a pretty good idea of what you want to do. I'm chatting with him tomorrow as well and going over that engine so if you have specifics, email them to me at [email protected] and leave your phone number so I can call.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool
Give me your total HP expectations when done (ballpark) because I have to work backwards from that heat amount to determine the cooler size. Also confirm 1/2 system (nearly certain of that). Also let me know what the size of your current cooler is for the 525 as is and the current hp. Your stock cooler should be a 849952. Just get me the diameter and overall length if you can't confirm part number. Confirm water flow gpm and, if changed from stock, the current fluid flow (gmp) of the oil circuit. if you want, call me tomorrow after 4pm. We're at the Miami boat show and reception is not so good.

We have a standard 525 kit but you're tricking it out and need more cooling capacity. Since you're close and I wouldn't mind seeing your boat I'll probably shoot down to check it out. Lake Erie still got ice? :-). For all not in MI, we got 8 inches of snow yesterday hehe. Now you know why we're so darn cool.

You can email to at [email protected] or leave the information here and I'll get it.
I passed your information on to my Engine Builder and he will be in touch with you, Thank you for the response.