Notices

Transon Assembly

Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transon Assembly

Hey Guys!

I need to rebuild the transom assembly in my 24ft Outlaw [lots of play "side to side" and swivel pin seal is leaking]

Whats a ballpark idea of what it costs? I have had a couple of people tell mi its much easier if you are able to get a certain "nut or bolt" off, apparantly, if you cant it means pulling the motor [in my case that means pulling the backseat assembly and its a real pain] Any Thoughts?

My 2nd question: Would it be easier [cheaper?] to buy a complete transom assembly [new] and have the mechanic change it all, or would it be smarter to just rebuild my current assembly

Basically if its gonna cost [example] $2500 to rebuild/install my current transom assembly, and I can buy a new transom assembly for [example] $1500 and its gonna cost another $1500 for labour, then its only $500 more to have everything "new" and it makes sense, but, if its gonna cost $2500 to rebuild my current transom assembly, but, providing a new transom assembly to the mechanic is STILL gonna cost $2000 in Labour, it doesn't make sense to go with a "new" transom assembly

Thanks guys, ANY input is appreciated! Would love to hear from anyone who has had this done in a boat similiar to mine, I have a 24ft Outlaw, 454EFI with a B1 drive

Thanks!
Michael
Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a complete transom assembly for $1500 or less. It may be used, but my experience is they haven't been used much & all the parts are in good working order.
The trouble is you have to pull the motor to change it out.
I'd just do the external repair. Someone makes a plate system that looks good. Many places still use the big ugly plugs.
I wish I could remember who.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
I'd just do the external repair. Someone makes a plate system that looks good.
I wish I could remember who.
http://www.jrmarine.com/products/bellhousing.htm

http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the one. Good job Irish!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Michael, I sent you a PM. I can give you a great deal on a freshwater takeoff Bravo transom assembly, either just the housing itself or complete from the inner plate to the trim pistons.

Let me know if you're interested!

Harry
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered

First of all a HUGE Thanks! to Irish and Jason! If I can go the "plate" route it will save me some cash, and in this economy I could sure use it! It looks to me like my transom assembly already has the "big ugly plugs" [the large "allen" shaped plugs on either side of the transom assembly?] I dont know if that matters or not?

From what I can read in the instructions everything is included? Or would I need to purchase the actual swivel pin, seals, gaskets, etc from Mercury?

My next job is to find a marine mechanic that would rather make a few hundred dollars doing this job, as opposed to a couple of thousand for "re and re ing" the motor and changing the swivel pin/seal the old fashioned way.

Harry, I am going to look into the plate kit a little more before I look at buying an assembly, but, thanks!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

BTW: Jason, I found a few "you tube" video's of your boat running close to 100mph, that thing is dialed in and goes like a scalded ape!!

Michael
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Registered

Michael, as they said in the movies, "make me an offer I can't refuse!"

I'd really like to make a deal on the complete assembly I have, as I have no use for it right now!

Harry
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered

Got good news and bad news.....
If you've already got the big ugly plugs, it's been rebuilt before. You dont need to buy the plate kit, just remove the plugs.
Now the bad news.....
The reason they get slop is from the gimbal ring wearing out where the steering arm upper swivel pin mounts into it. There's a pretty good chance your gimbal ring is shot. They're pretty expensive ($700?) but someone on the tech section used to post that he could repair them.
There's nothing too complex in rebuilding the whole gimbal on the boat. Buy a drive manual, a hinge pin removal tool, and all the bearings, seals, etc and do it yourself.
If you buy a used assembly, carefully check the gimbal ring upper swivel pin area for any play.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael -

How far are you from the border? We could probably work something out if you were able to bring it across.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rdoactive
Got good news and bad news.....
If you've already got the big ugly plugs, it's been rebuilt before. You dont need to buy the plate kit, just remove the plugs.
Now the bad news.....
The reason they get slop is from the gimbal ring wearing out where the steering arm upper swivel pin mounts into it. There's a pretty good chance your gimbal ring is shot. They're pretty expensive ($700?) but someone on the tech section used to post that he could repair them.
There's nothing too complex in rebuilding the whole gimbal on the boat. Buy a drive manual, a hinge pin removal tool, and all the bearings, seals, etc and do it yourself.
If you buy a used assembly, carefully check the gimbal ring upper swivel pin area for any play.
It doesn't sound too incredibly difficult, but, I would still need to pull the motor out? I think that will be the "big ticket item" You are correct on the gimbal ring as well, I spoke to a mechanic last year who mentioned the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.