Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Which brand and weight of OIL for 502 mags? >

Which brand and weight of OIL for 502 mags?

Notices

Which brand and weight of OIL for 502 mags?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Merc is 25w-40
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best oil

Not going to say where? But have built a lab where oils are tested and graded cool place if you like watching things blow up or get trashed in heat or -50degF temps. Problem with synthetics (all though good)is they tend to create more windage robbing you of horse power. There have been many of studies and $ for $ regular oils are the best bet...Can't tell you results of who has what and does what and why. But I only use Valvoline Racing Oil 20-50 in my ride, It's a LOCK BABY.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently charged my outdrive lube to Amsoil, after hearing a pile of good things about it. Just wondering if anyone has used there marine engine oil? I usually use the Merc oil [semi synthetic] but, wanted to switch to a fully synthetic, but, the Mobil 1 that I have been able to find locally is all 10W30 or 0W30, I have found a local Amsoil dealer with good prices, and wanted to get some input before I tried there engine oil, Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
I recently charged my outdrive lube to Amsoil, after hearing a pile of good things about it. Just wondering if anyone has used there marine engine oil? I usually use the Merc oil [semi synthetic] but, wanted to switch to a fully synthetic, but, the Mobil 1 that I have been able to find locally is all 10W30 or 0W30, I have found a local Amsoil dealer with good prices, and wanted to get some input before I tried there engine oil, Thanks!

Michael
I use the Amsoil 15w40 marine/diesel oil in my engines and have also used the Royal Purple 20w50 in my 502 when I had it. I'm now switching to Amsoil 15w50 Racing Oil in my HP500efi's
Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered

Same oil recomendations for a 96 454EFI? The Diesel oil idea makes sense, I assume because much like Diesels, boat engines are always "working". I seem to remember Diesel Oils having a higher amount of detergents as well, does this help in the marine application also?

Thanks!
Michael
The biggest difference in a diesel engine oil vs a gas engine oil is the detergent package. In a diesel it has to control a lot more soot than a gas engine oil. Some difference in the anti wear package, but they are both zinc.

Ken
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Landlord
Does anyone use Brad Penn / Kendall?
Brad Penn and Kendall are two diffrent oils.

Brad Penn is the old Kendall refinery and they make Brad Penn oils. Kendall is now owned/blended by Conoco Phillips.

Ken
Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ateco
We use and recommend Brad Penn 20W50 High Performance Oil. Its designed to offer higher performance engines the cold temperature operational benefits of an SAE 20W engine oil while providing the desired film strength; sealing abilities, bearing, crankshaft, piston ring and valvetrain component anti-wear protection of an SAE 50W oil at normal engine operating temperatures.
Nothing new here, ALL multi viscosities work this way.

Ken

Last edited by minxguy; 04-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

Great! appreciate the info! I looked it up online and Amsoil sell a "Marine" engine oil, but, its 10W30 they claim it will replace the Merc oil, which I think is 25W40 or 25W50? The other oil they list that appears to be geared toward Diesel/Marine engines and its 15W40. I didnt see any "Marine" 15W50? Is it Marine or Automotive oil?

I guess what I am asking is what would work best in my 96 454EFI, Its no rocket or anything, but, I would like something that extends longevity and I have had great luck with synthetics in the past, Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Great! appreciate the info! I looked it up online and Amsoil sell a "Marine" engine oil, but, its 10W30 they claim it will replace the Merc oil, which I think is 25W40 or 25W50? The other oil they list that appears to be geared toward Diesel/Marine engines and its 15W40. I didnt see any "Marine" 15W50? Is it Marine or Automotive oil?

I guess what I am asking is what would work best in my 96 454EFI, Its no rocket or anything, but, I would like something that extends longevity and I have had great luck with synthetics in the past, Thanks!

Michael
i wont say its the best since i'm not an expert & each person has their own preferences, but i have been using Valovline Syn Racing oil 20w50 http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ng-motor-oil/9
you cant buy it off the shelf since its not street legal, but napa, etc will order it by the box (6). I can normally order it that morning & they will have it ready for pickup in the afternoon. It's about $9-10 qt.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered

Michael
Mike in the old "Marine Lubrication" thread one of the best products for engines in general, marine or auto was a motoorcycle specfic oil.

The big reason was that the levels of zinc/phosphours were substantially higher than over the counter engine oil.

Zinc is an anti-wear additive and over the past 5-6years the oil manufactures have been dropping the levels of zinc.

They started in the 1200-1400 parts per million range and are now down to the 1000 ppm tange, soon to be dropped to the 600-800 range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.