Notices

Bow lights

Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bow lights

Anybody ever install bow lights, the oval kind that go on the side of the boat?

If so im sure you have rip the interior out, but is there a ACC hook up at the dash or would have to wire it all the way to the battery.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 908 Posts

Those are docking lights and are only meant to be used for docking purposes. Running them blinds other boaters coming at you and they cannot see you nav lights. Whether you have a switch on your dash or not depends on your boat and if you have an extra one. Power goes to switch and switch is wired to lights.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOPS! NM I thought you were talking about the red/green nav lights.

All depends how you want to wire it. If your boat has a 'running lights' switch, hook them up there. If not, I would hook them to the blue wire in your dash. They will come on whenever the gauge lights come on. Or you can hook them to the purple wire and they will come on whenever the key is on. Or you can hook them to an orange wire (fused) and they will always be on (as long as the battery is switched in).

Next, invest in an multi meter and learn Ohm's law. You will be a fricken genius in no time.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nards444
Anybody ever install bow lights, the oval kind that go on the side of the boat?

If so im sure you have rip the interior out, but is there a ACC hook up at the dash or would have to wire it all the way to the battery.
If you mean docking lights you will need all new wires. the ones already in dash panel are not heavy enough to carry the power for those lights. Depending on how long the wires will be, you will need #8 or#10 wire. Run ground from batt to lights,Run positive from batt. (with fuse or breaker in line close to batt) To heavy duty switch on dash Then to lights.
As stated above these lights can only be used for docking and are not legal while under way.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nards- where are you in NY?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

watertown.

yeah i know what they are for, just wondering if anybody has had first hand experience doing it as far the cutting etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ok, thought you might have been someone I know. Welcome aboard though!