Power Steering...help needed >

Power Steering...help needed

Notices

Power Steering...help needed

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering...help needed

I bought my boat earlier this year and the first time I took it out for a ride the hose going to the power steering cooler sprung a leak. Before I knew it the pump was bone dry. Now it feels like there is NO power steering even at idle.
Question: Where is the best (economical) or most likely place to start looking for the problem or start replacing parts ? Any help will really be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

Thunderstruck27
First,I am assuming you replaced the leaking cooler?

Second, I am assuming you put in new fluid and blead out all the air in the system by turning the steering wheel all the way right to left several times to remove the air in the system and refilled the system?

Third, If you ran the boat with out fluid in the system for a long period of time you could have burnt out the pump?

fourth, If you are asking these type of questions, I would suggest you take to a shop that will fix your problem for you!

Good Luck
Old 06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought you said a hose broke? The hoses going to the cooler are the return side with little pressure. You need to find what is leaking.
And yes, you have no power steering.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Easy Wake and Big Jim...Thanks for the feedback. The leak was in the 1/4" hose going to the cooler. It was fixed and OK before my post. I would guess that it only went without fluid for about 15 minutes before I notice the fluid all over the transum. As soon as I noticed I shut it down and removed the pump belt. After the leak was fixed I filled the pump, put the belt back on and fired it up...but I didn't do the left/right turns to bleed the air. After reading your post I rechecked the fluid level and it had gone down, but not dry. I topped it off and will see how it feels this weekend. Thanks to both of you!
Jim
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would bet the pump is burned up after 15mins.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I would think the pump has to be toast. Did you look into the reservoir after firing the motor back up with the pump refilled? If the fluid is foaming, the pump is junk.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I would bet the pump is burned up after 15mins.
+1. Blew a hose on a GM work truck one time. Ran <10 minutes with no fluid, and it was toast.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

The fluid was foaming when I refilled the pump...and from what you're all saying it's time for a new pump. Thanks for the input...I'll r&r it when I get to Texoma this weekend.