Notices

Circulating water pump

Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circulating water pump

Anyone know of a automotive application that will cross to the engine water pump ? Its a 1990 7.4l .
Its killing me to put out 150 on a new pump when a automotive pump only cost 50. Is there a difference in the marine app vs the auto app?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NOPUN
Anyone know of a automotive application that will cross to the engine water pump ? Its a 1990 7.4l .
Its killing me to put out 150 on a new pump when a automotive pump only cost 50. Is there a difference in the marine app vs the auto app?
You can get an auto one that will work, BUT, there is a difference. The internal materials are different for corrosion protection, and the impeller designs are different.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by apollard
the impeller designs are different.

Is the marine reverse flow ? and , is the corrosion an issue if your mainly in fresh water?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

The marine isn't reverse flow, but some are reverse rotation (if you have a RH engine or a serpentine drive belt). However, reverse rotation is available in auto pumps.

Some auto pumps use aluminum or plastic impellers. Almost all use a steel shaft, rather than stainless steel shafts. That, IMO, is the weak link for using an auto pump - the steel shaft will start to rust, and kill the seals. Steel is not an issue with antifreeze systems like cars or if you have a closed cooling system. You can get away with using them, but the marine ones are available online for 60-100 dollars.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/cat...umps,2698.aspx

If you use an auto one, I would get one of the lifetime guaranteed ones, because it will likely go with low hours on it.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by apollard
The marine isn't reverse flow, but some are reverse rotation (if you have a RH engine or a serpentine drive belt). However, reverse rotation is available in auto pumps.

Some auto pumps use aluminum or plastic impellers. Almost all use a steel shaft, rather than stainless steel shafts. That, IMO, is the weak link for using an auto pump - the steel shaft will start to rust, and kill the seals. Steel is not an issue with antifreeze systems like cars or if you have a closed cooling system. You can get away with using them, but the marine ones are available online for 60-100 dollars.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/cat...umps,2698.aspx

If you use an auto one, I would get one of the lifetime guaranteed ones, because it will likely go with low hours on it.
Thanks for your help ! Think I should go with the marine app. then. The way my lucks been going , the low hrs fail , will be like 1 or 2 . Ha !!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered

I have one I will sell cheap. I went with a crossover and dont use it. works perfect!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a NAPA near you go see them, they will have the marine ones for a lot less money.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Circulating water pump

This may not be the one you need but i bet they have it if you give them a call... I think west marine also carries them . i have used lots of sierra parts with great success .

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts...num=SIE18-3599

Chris
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone for the great links and advice.
I found one at Advanced Auto (marine) , Had to search through a boat load (pun intended) of books , but, found one for 77.00
now if I can just find those last two pieces of impeller I'll be in good shape.