Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Fuel Pump Vent Line Pumping Oil into Flame Arrestor >

Fuel Pump Vent Line Pumping Oil into Flame Arrestor

Notices

Fuel Pump Vent Line Pumping Oil into Flame Arrestor

Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no other blowby.Do you guys understand what i am talking about when I am referring to the little clip that inserts into theair cleaner that the clear line goes to and runs down to fuel pump.Oil is coming up from that line getting in the base of air cleaner spilling over the side running down carb. and collecting on intake.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we all know what tube you are refering to and it is the safty feature on marine mechanical fuel pumps to prevent fuel being spilled into your bilge if the diaphram ruptures as others have stated. it is on the top of the diaphram however it shouldn't be open to crankcase pressure unless the fit between the pump push rod and block are out of tollerances. I would change the pump right away and while you have it off I would replace the pump push rod at the same time. Fairly cheap fix. That well behind the pump block off plate should not be filling up with oil. Just my 2cts worth.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered

Thnx Fireboat.Whats your opinion on just going with an electric fuel pump? This is aBaja 250 ES with around 525 h.p.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, either way you ned to remove the old pump, and buy a new pump, block off the mech pump plate, wire up and plumb the elec pump etc. I would change the mech pump and rod and be done with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Registered

I'm with fireboat - the mech. pump will last a long time, especially if the boat is run. Sitting without pumping is worse for pumps than running all the time.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for info. Ordered new pump yest. Going to b ap.i.t.a. to change but hopes this does it.Will let you guys know when I get it changed out.