Notices

boat motor gone bad!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy could be exhaust gets my vote

Having done the old boat purchase myself twice now, I can say that it really, really is sad when you come face to face with the fact that when dealing with performance boats the $$ drain never ends, and I am not talking about fuel, insurance, or other operating expenses. Doing all my own work, except for actual machine shop stuff, I have blown at least the cost of my boat $33,000 since 2002 in keeping it running and upgrading it for more performance, in my quest to go from 65 mph to 80.

I also know that no matter what, it will NEVER be worth what I paid for it unless I install Factory Merc stuff with 6 drives, and then sell it as a parts boat, then I would expect to only be able to get about 30% of the cost of the new merc stuff even if it is in perfect condition. Once you start down the performance road, you gotta have deep pockets and an understanding SWMBO. Just sayn

I do not like to be passed by any fishing boats, even with four engines, and 80 seems to be about 2 to 3 mph faster than most all of them.

Last edited by 88Fount33; 06-17-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Why 80?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Best of luck with your project! Take your time, read all you can, and don't be afraid to ask questions. After you build your first motor, the sense of accomplishment is huge, and you will look back on it and realize there was nothing to be afraid of. They're just simple motors!

Not usre how far away you are, but I have a really good friend in Topeka that would be a great resource if it's not to far away. He's actually new to the area, I'm sure he wouldn't mind lending a hand. All his toys / projects are still in Ohio, so he has nothing to work on, I'm sure he's bored! PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

-Artie
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

My buddy has a 454mag EFI, complete drop in forsale here in the Tulsa area for 5k - I believe. I can get the exact hours ect if you are interested..
Good Luck BTW
Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
I'll be on my toes if I decide to go that route... Thanks for the advice!

BTW... what does dry piped mean? obviously the water doesn't exit the engine through the exhaust but, what the reason for doing that?
Dry piped means the water doesn't mix with the exhaust. The exhaust is double walled all the way to the exit. The only reason to run a dry pipe is so you can use a cam with more than normal overlap for a marine engine.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
This is the type of thread that really gets to me. People you
don't know and who don't know you are saying "Yea. You can do
it! Go ahead rebuild your boat engine. Although you don't know
the difference between wet and dry exhaust, that's O.K., rebuild it
anyway. Go ahead!" You are about to embark on an expensive
odyssey. I can not count how many times Ray from Raylar fame has
begged people to use good judgement and a proper marine engine
builder. Yes I agree you need to find out what the real issue is before
spending a bunch of money on a "fix" or a replacement. You do not
have to give up on boating this year. Two guys here have offered an
engine in running condition(yes there are precautions you need to
take in a deal of this type) but in a short time you could be boating
and taking your time learning about how to fix your hurt motor properly.
This money would not be "lost" only tied up. You will sell this spare
engine and recoup much of your money in the future. However
opinions are like a$$holes. We all have them. Good luck whatever you
decide to do. I have owned a Mach 1 (our first mistake) and have
completed a successful engine project without loosing boating time. I
hope you can too.
I think this is decent advice however I would still keep the engine I pulled rebuild it for the experience and either keep it as a spare or sell it as a good engine.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Registered

I have heard some of the worst advice ever in this thread. Sell the boat, buy two drop in used motors, it goes on and on. This is not rocket science guys, its a big block GM motor we are talking about. All internals can be checked, replacing pistons, rings, bearings, grinding the crank if needed and assembled for about 2 K at any reputable shop. All he will have to do is pull the motor, maybe tear it town, and drop it in. Obviously a few other steps but the prices I have heard people throw around are crazy. The guys who want to charge you double or triple what im talking about are out of there mind, or have way to many people with lots of money to give them where they can charge this. Do your homework, you will find this can be accomplished without going bankrupt.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SUN-CHASER
I have heard some of the worst advice ever in this thread. Sell the boat, buy two drop in used motors, it goes on and on. This is not rocket science guys, its a big block GM motor we are talking about. All internals can be checked, replacing pistons, rings, bearings, grinding the crank if needed and assembled for about 2 K at any reputable shop. All he will have to do is pull the motor, maybe tear it town, and drop it in. Obviously a few other steps but the prices I have heard people throw around are crazy. The guys who want to charge you double or triple what im talking about are out of there mind, or have way to many people with lots of money to give them where they can charge this. Do your homework, you will find this can be accomplished without going bankrupt.
what Sun-Chaser said!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get ahold of SMITH POWER in Joplin. OSO member bigyellowcat.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi balinsteadt. I am going to give some advice no one has covered yet.. Regardless if you re-build or have it re-built by someone else, buy a new oil cooler.. Dont have it cleaned, inspected,or anything else.. Replace it with a new one and also the hoses that go to it. Also either buy new, best option, or have inspected by a qualified mech, the exhaust manifolds and risers.. Gil marine or sierra marine parts are fine..Sierra also sells an oil cooler I think.. These brands will save you a ton over mercruiser. Most people can rebuild an engine but forgetting to change the exhaust and oil cooler can cripple an engine of any price..

Chris
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Hi balinsteadt. I am going to give some advice no one has covered yet.. Regardless if you re-build or have it re-built by someone else, buy a new oil cooler.. Dont have it cleaned, inspected,or anything else.. Replace it with a new one and also the hoses that go to it. Also either buy new, best option, or have inspected by a qualified mech, the exhaust manifolds and risers.. Gil marine or sierra marine parts are fine..Sierra also sells an oil cooler I think.. These brands will save you a ton over mercruiser. Most people can rebuild an engine but forgetting to change the exhaust and oil cooler can cripple an engine of any price..

Chris

YES !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.