Notices

outdrive install problems

Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outdrive install problems

Hello everyone, I have been lurking on offshoreonly for quite a while enjoying the forum and I have wound up with a confusing outdrive issue on my hands. I developed some steering play on my 1995 Crownline 225 CCR 454/ bravo 3. I purchased a rebuilt gimbal ring, steering pin and HP U-bolt through Ron Bender and the installation went well. The horror started when I went to put the outdrive back on the boat. The alignment seemed great, and then I would rotate the motor 180 degrees and it was bad again. I adjusted the engine mounts slightly and finally got the gimbal alignment to where it seemed correct and tried to install the drive. The shaft butts up to the engine coupler and will not go into it, the splines do not seem to be making contact at all as I turn the props and shaft. I had my brother push the outdrive in as far as he could (to the end of the mounting studs) and I feel the shaft hitting the coupler. Today we pulled the gimbal bearing again and tried to put an extra outdrive shaft into the coupler with no success! I can’t even feel splines skipping as I turn the shaft, it’s as if the two were not meant to go together. A friend is telling me to replace the coupler but I drove the boat two weeks ago and aside from the slop in the steering all was well. Also, when I removed the drive nuts it easily slid off no binding at all. At this point I am out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Can you actually see the splines in the engine coupler they might be stripped out, they are alum. on standard coupler or engine alignment is way out
Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

Default Splines

The splines on the coupler appear to be in fine condition, I scraped some grease out of them and took a look, even hopped in the engine compartment behind the motor and felt around in the coupler. I couldn't find any defects with them. As far as the alignment, I have gone to the extents of the motor mounts and still could not get the outdrive to slide in. Is it possible that the coupler's center point can move slightly? Thanks again for any suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the rear of the motor mounted backward on the gimbal?
(ie: was the motor placed under, not on top or vice versa?)
That would add distance and angle that can't be "adjusted".
The coupler cannot move to that extent. I would continue to adjust the front mounts. Everything else should be irrelevant. Are you using Merc's allignment tool?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered

Default Engine mounting

The engine was never removed so the mounts in the rear are on top of the transom brackets with all the stock hardware. The alignment tool was purchased from Ebay and is not a mercruiser product although the seller was recommended on another popular boating site.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

are all washers in place? Sometimes they slip into the bilge...other than that....
take off the forward drive shaft yolk and see how far you can put it in...if it goes in, the problem is elsewhere..?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Registered

Default Driveshaft yoke

I took an extra drive shaft and attempted to put it into the coupler with no gimbal bearing installed so there was lots of room for the shaft to slide into the splines. I could not get it to slide in. At this point it would seem that the problem is either with the coupler itself, or bad rear engine munts? I will take a close look at the rear mounts today to see if anything appears out of place. Thanks again for the advice on this, this is my first attempt at really doing any significant work on my boat and although I have quite a bit of experience with auto's and other recreational equipment I just can't imagine how somthing that seems so simple is getting the best of me.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Are you using an alignment tool???????????
Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered

Default Alignment tool

Alignment tool goes in and out with 2 fingers, grease pattern looks good, and still the drive shaft will not go into the coupler.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badccr
Alignment tool goes in and out with 2 fingers, grease pattern looks good, and still the drive shaft will not go into the coupler.
Is this the spare drive shaft, or the one on the outdrive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.