Notices

Python Should I

Old 07-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Python Should I

New member here. I know the reputation of Python boats, but I am on a budget, and this boat is right near my home town. its a 24 offshore with 454 mag and bravo 1 drive, trim tabs, all the mechanicals check out but the stringers have been subject to some rot. The gas tank mounting was the reason for water intrusion. Aluminum brackets screwed to the top side of the stringer with no sealant. The stringers under the cockpit are rotten from the rear seat forwart almost to the cabin. The boat is in great shape otherwise. So at a minimum I am looking at redoing the floor and these two sections of stringers, and also the rear bulk head behind the seats, I guess they just used wafer board there with a little white paint. The gelcoat is fantastic, and the rest of the boat is in superb shape. What is a good offer to put in on this boat? What would you pay. There are not that many 24x7's down this way under 20k. All I want is 65mph top end and 40 cruise and to make alittle noise.

Thanks,

LC
Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

You should be able to find a nice, structurally sound boat for under 20K.

Unless they are basically going to give the thing to you, I'd pass. Been there, still doing that on a rotten boat I thought would be easy to fix.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered

+1

I picked up a solid, low hours boat/trailer for $16k. Another $5-600 on preventative maintenence items, and I was boating.

Last edited by apollard; 07-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the real price for an older 24 python is around $14K in good shape. And I do know because I had a 1992 24 python that I sold for that much two years ago. That boat needs about $10K worth of structural work. I figure $5K for the floor, stringers and bulkhead and another $5K for the transom. You didn't mention the transom, but I think its a safe bet that with the amount of rot it in other areas it probobly either has water intrusion or is about to. So IMO its worth around $4-5K as is, pretty much the value of the engines and drivetrain.

You will get the 65mph top end, but in my experience that boat does not like to go slow. It rides very good at 60+, not so much at lower speeds.

I would pass unless you have some good experience in replacing bulkheads, transoms, and stringers. Sounds like your talking about a complete restoration. As others are saying, you can get into a good 24ft boat for less than $20K. Be patient.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

get an average of what similar boats are going for in decent shape, get a couple estimates on the repairs, subtract from going rate, subtract a couple grand more for the hassle and you have a price. Not what it costs for you to do it, but what it costs to have it done.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
So IMO its worth around $4-5K as is, pretty much the value of the engines and drivetrain..
I agree..$5k would be the tops I would think its worth in that shape.

I picked up my 27 Carrera for $4500 with a nice aluminum dual axle trailer complete minus engine and seats, hull,floor,transom,everything solid as a rock with no rot anywhere,(I HATE fiberglass work) threw in engine and seats from my other boat (which I probably spent around 7-8k for engine and seats) and I have a killer riding offshore boat for under $13k and it runs 69.4 with my mild 509"
http://damncarrera.com/SS8Msig.JPG
My neighbor picked up an Excalibur 24x7 (daddy to most 24x7s)
hull in solid shape but no drivetrain or trailer for $500.
If you have the cash in hand there are too many smoking deals right now to buy a project that big.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 07-16-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Anyone know if this project is still available?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Default Here is a Python for sale!

This Python is available:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o45049-en.html

Offshore Only Classified #45049

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2948770402.html
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

another option. find a good hull-no power cheap. buy the python and strip power and put it in other hull. now you have an empty python hull to redo, and your power is drivable in something else while you are doing...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-10-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
New member here. I know the reputation of Python boats, but I am on a budget, and this boat is right near my home town. its a 24 offshore with 454 mag and bravo 1 drive, trim tabs, all the mechanicals check out but the stringers have been subject to some rot. The gas tank mounting was the reason for water intrusion. Aluminum brackets screwed to the top side of the stringer with no sealant. The stringers under the cockpit are rotten from the rear seat forwart almost to the cabin. The boat is in great shape otherwise. So at a minimum I am looking at redoing the floor and these two sections of stringers, and also the rear bulk head behind the seats, I guess they just used wafer board there with a little white paint. The gelcoat is fantastic, and the rest of the boat is in superb shape. What is a good offer to put in on this boat? What would you pay. There are not that many 24x7's down this way under 20k. All I want is 65mph top end and 40 cruise and to make alittle noise.

Thanks,

LC
Just curious, is this the boat that is advertised here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.